Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Roger Goodell says extra points may be abolished

I am sure only kickers would hate this but Roger Goodell is right about the extra point rarely having any drama and excitement because it is almost automatic. What is the point of doing it? (Pun not intended.)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...tra-points

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Was just about to post this....

I hate this commish!

Quote:Was just about to post this....

I hate this commish!

I totally understand the point here. It is only 19 yards and straight up the middle, so there is very little chance of missing it or having it blocked. We always assume it will be good. Sometimes when that kick is supposed to be attempted, officials make the mistake of not tellling everyone to line up for it because it is unnecessary. So I always thought why require it when there are all zerols on the clock, considering it is never attempted in overtime? I think that would be a good change because it is not always enforced when everyone knows one point won't make a difference.

Seriously need to stop trying to change the game. 

Quote:Seriously need to stop trying to change the game. 

Some changes are good, so I would not make a blanket statement like that.

Would be a welcomed change. Even just backing up the extra point would be fine.

Quote:Would be a welcomed change. Even just backing up the extra point would be fine.

Backing it up would not help much. It would still be over 90 percent accurate.

Could possibly make the extra attempt more exciting. Make it to where every touchdown is worth 7 and 2 point conversions are worth 3 instead and back up the conversion try to the 10 yard line. I could see more teams going for conversions and it would definitely make end of games more exciting.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Can't believe any Jags fans would support this.  Am I the only one who remembers this play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGco82JKHo

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Not sure why they are so bent on taking the "foot" out of football any more than they already have. 

Quote:Can't believe any Jags fans would support this. Am I the only one who remembers this play:

Great day in Jaguar history.

But on the flip side I can recall numerous games where we lost by an extra point as well.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Backing it up would not help much. It would still be over 90 percent accurate.

If you back it up to the 30 yard line I doubt the attempts would still be 90% accurate.

Quote:Backing it up would not help much. It would still be over 90 percent accurate.
Since I gave no distance, you have no clue what % it would be. Though backing it up any distance would lower it from being the 99.5%+ that it currently is.

Quote:Great day in Jaguar history.

But on the flip side I can recall numerous games where we lost by an extra point as well.

Yes it was, but there is no guarantee we would have lost in overtime.

Ironically, years later we signed John Carney to replace an injured kicker.

The following players never missed an extra points for the Jags:

Seth Marler, Hayden Epstein, Tim Seder, Danny Boyd, Steve Lindsey, Richie Cunningham, Jarrett Holmes

Scobee's Extra Point misses:

1 against Tennessee (2006) - We still won

1 against Pittsburgh (2007) - We still won

2 against Tennessee (2009, 2013) - we lost both by more than 3 points

1 against Minnesota (2009) - We lost by a field goal

Mike Hollis's Extra Point Misses: 

2 against Cleveland (1995, 2006)- we still won both

1 against Chicago (2002) - we lost by more than 10 points

Carney's Extra Point Misses:

1 against Houston (2007) - we still won

We never lost a game by 1 point because of a missed Point After Touchdown specifically.  And the proposal isn't to get rid of the extra point, just to make it automatic.  It's not even really automatic, because here are 9 missed extra points by the Jags.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

I thought the adoption of the 2 pt conversion 20 years ago was for this purpose.

This commish really is a [BLEEP].

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

The proposal Roger Goodell talked about probably will not happen. I am sure he will hear some better ideas from other people during the March meetings.

More blind hate for Roger Goodell. The owners vote for any and all changes that happen in the NFL, direct your hatred elsewhere and stop parroting what you read by other morons.

Quote:I thought the adoption of the 2 pt conversion 20 years ago was for this purpose.

This commish really is a [BLEEP].

I never understood why the TPC was invented.

Quote:Seriously need to stop trying to change the game. 

THIS.