Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Roger Goodell says extra points may be abolished

Quote:So you don't think it was good to add a 15-minute overtime, create a 12-team playoff format, invent a replay system, realign the divisions so that they all have four teams, and replace Astroturf with the more realistic Field Turf? Those are all changes the NFL made. If you think all changes are bad, you must think all of those things are bad too.

If I had my way,  the NFL would still have a 10 team playoff format but I'm more than comfortable with the 12 team format.   It's what the NFL is considering,  in going to a 14 or even worse a 16 team playoff format,  that's alarming to me as an NFL fan.  As much as I want the PAT to remain in the game,   it's a minor issue for me compared to the possibility of playoff expansion.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Is it broke? Then don't fix it. Roger has this OCD about trying to change the best thing going. Already the draft got bumped back which will make it that much harder for rookies to come in and find their stride. I have to hear moronic questions about putting a franchise in London. Or expanding a playoff system that works fine on its own. Now this?! Just leave it be Roger. Beef up marketing or the fan experience, but leave the game alone.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:If I had my way, the NFL would still have a 10 team playoff format but I'm more than comfortable with the 12 team format. It's what the NFL is considering, in going to a 14 or even worse a 16 team playoff format, that's alarming to me as an NFL fan. As much as I want the PAT to remain in the game, it's a minor issue for me compared to the possibility of playoff expansion.

I don't see it happening in the near future. The NFLPA is already balking at adding any additional games to the regular season. I doubt they'll jump for joy about adding an additional post season game(s).
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I am too young to remember 10 teams in the playoffs. When I started watching football, the NFL had 28 teams.

Quote:Can't believe any Jags fans would support this.  Am I the only one who remembers this play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGco82JKHo

That John Carney video reminds me of a poster that use to post here..... "Arrow Man". Anybody remember him? He is the guy holding the giant arrow sign in the video (between the uprights).

Sounds like a racist move to slowly eliminate kickers from the league all together.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:That does not make it less important to the Jaguars.
I didn't say it did. Come on JW, please.

I edited it because the whole point of the thread is regarding extra points, not FG's. Particularly the video posted.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

I'm surprised they didn't make up some "player safety" reason for eliminating the PAT.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:I'm surprised they didn't make up some "player safety" reason for eliminating the PAT.

There is a player safety reason for the other rule change suggested, which I think all Jaguars fans will love: making helmet collisions reviewable.

Quote:Is it broke? Then don't fix it.

Agree.

There were XP kicks missed.  If they were absolute gimmes, they wouldn't be.

That's the point, and it works.

Plus, there's always the option of going for two.  Don't see what's wrong about the way it is.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Awful          .

i think they should put them on the 20 for an extra point.

I hope he freezes when he sits outside at the Super Bowl and then we can get a new commissioner. 

Quote:I hope he freezes when he sits outside at the Super Bowl and then we can get a new commissioner.
That's what I'm hoping for. Blizzard conditions and sub-zero temperatures.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I don't get it. Why do you think someone who works for the owners is going to have different thoughts than Goodell? Don't you think most, if not all, of his actions are at least trial balloons for the owners?

And which NFL is he ruining? Are people saying nothing should have changed since 1930? Or 1950? How about since 1972? Oh, nothing should be changed from right now?

The NFL is the most popular sports league in the history of America - because it adapts and reconfigures all the time. A few "get off my lawn" types isn't going to stop that.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I hope he freezes when he sits outside at the Super Bowl and then we can get a new commissioner. 

Quote:That's what I'm hoping for. Blizzard conditions and sub-zero temperatures.
Same here. The potential to have the game moved to a different day is real. I hope on top of your suggestions, this happens too.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:That John Carney video reminds me of a poster that use to post here..... "Arrow Man". Anybody remember him? He is the guy holding the giant arrow sign in the video (between the uprights).

Arrow Man still attends all the games.  He tailgates a couple of spots down from us every home game.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014, 11:49 AM by pirkster.)

Quote:I don't get it. Why do you think someone who works for the owners is going to have different thoughts than Goodell? Don't you think most, if not all, of his actions are at least trial balloons for the owners?

And which NFL is he ruining? Are people saying nothing should have changed since 1930? Or 1950? How about since 1972? Oh, nothing should be changed from right now?

The NFL is the most popular sports league in the history of America - because it adapts and reconfigures all the time. A few "get off my lawn" types isn't going to stop that.

Hey, it worked for NASCAR, right?

History will teach you a lot, if you're willing to learn.  Evolution is natural.  However, half-baked ideas and change for the sake of change causes damage, not so-called improvement.

Maybe they'll replace the coin toss with a scrum or scramble for the football at the 50 yard line.  Oh, wait...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I don't get it. Why do you think someone who works for the owners is going to have different thoughts than Goodell? Don't you think most, if not all, of his actions are at least trial balloons for the owners?

Brian, you always, always take that certain side of the argument.

pirkster said it right when he said elovution is one thing, stupid ideas for the sake of change are another....

You either can't or don't want to see the difference. 

What I will never understand is why people hate Roger Goodell for saying what the competition committee and team owners tell him. All rule changes are voted on by the owners and a Green Bay exec  after a committee of head coaches and general managers make a recommendation. All Goodell is doing is saying what other people told him. How can you hate a guy who does that?