Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Roger Goodell says extra points may be abolished

I don't care about any of those facts, GOODELL SUCKS and is ruining the game!!! 

edit - Also, don't ask me HOW he is ruing the game, HE JUST IS.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I like the idea. The extra point is a boring play with the players only giving token effort. The proposed change is only up for discussion and certainly not the final proposal. To score a point there needs to be some threshold amount of strategy or skill.

Regards...................the Chiefjag

Quote:I don't care about any of those facts, GOODELL SUCKS and is ruining the game!!! 

edit - Also, don't ask me HOW he is ruining the game. HE JUST IS.

If you admit what I said is true, why do you continue to believe it is Goodell's fault?

Quote:If you admit what I said is true, why do you continue to believe it is Goodell's fault?
You have firmly solidified your place as the dumbest person on this board, easily securing your spot over TMD.

That isn't even an insult, im actually impressed that its possible.

Quote:You have firmly solidified your place as the dumbest person on this board, easily securing your spot over TMD.

That isn't even an insult, im actually impressed that its possible.

If you can't prove it you are wrong. I am still waiting for an answer to my question.

Quote:Hey, it worked for NASCAR, right?

History will teach you a lot, if you're willing to learn.  Evolution is natural.  However, half-baked ideas and change for the sake of change causes damage, not so-called improvement.

Maybe they'll replace the coin toss with a scrum or scramble for the football at the 50 yard line.  Oh, wait...

What? Sorry, but that made very little sense.

So, you're voting for no changes should have been made since 1930? Every change since then has had a segment arguing against it.

How is pro football like NASCAR? I'm sure there is a better analogy out there.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Brian, you always, always take that certain side of the argument.

pirkster said it right when he said elovution is one thing, stupid ideas for the sake of change are another....

You either can't or don't want to see the difference. 

Well, Chip, nice non-argument you made there. So tell me, Chip, who determines what is evolution and what is change for changes sake? Oh, that's right - it's not you. It will be the people who have grown the NFL into the monster it now is. So I think I'll let them worry about it while I chuckle at your never ending act of playing the Old Fart.

Quote:Would be a welcomed change. Even just backing up the extra point would be fine.
How about whoever scored it kicks it?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:How about whoever scored it kicks it?
That would be hilariously entertaining. Pass TD, the QB or receiver has to kick?

Sure, it is basically a "free" point, but the catch is you are passing up an opportunity for two points.

Quote:Sure, it is basically a "free" point, but the catch is you are passing up an opportunity for two points.

Reason being it is almost guaranteed while two points is not. If the PAT was hard enough to not be almost guaranteed, I bet more teams would go for two.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014, 02:33 AM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:What? Sorry, but that made very little sense.

So, you're voting for no changes should have been made since 1930? Every change since then has had a segment arguing against it.

I don't know where you got that he said that, because he never said that no changes should have been made.

Progress is good.  But Change for the Sake of Change is not progress.  That every change has had a segment arguing against it, doesn't automatically make the people arguing against this change wrong.  Nor does it make the people arguing against the other changes wrong just because the changes still exist (assuming they still do)

For example the Tuck Rule, which was in effect from 1999 - 2013.  It was recently repealed by the league.  

Every change they make, no matter how successful the league is, doesn't make the change 'right'.  Otherwise rules would never be reversed.  The league and it's owners are not infallible.  Change can absolutely be bad.

You seem to be suggesting that they are infallible because they are successful.  That is not the case.  Being successful does not mean being perfect.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I don't know where you got that he said that, because he never said that no changes should have been made.

Progress is good.  But Change for the Sake of Change is not progress.  That every change has had a segment arguing against it, doesn't automatically make the people arguing against this change wrong.  Nor does it make the people arguing against the other changes wrong just because the changes still exist (assuming they still do)

For example the Tuck Rule, which was in effect from 1999 - 2013.  It was recently repealed by the league.  

Every change they make, no matter how successful the league is, doesn't make the change 'right'.  Otherwise rules would never be reversed.  The league and it's owners are not infallible.  Change can absolutely be bad.

You seem to be suggesting that they are infallible because they are successful.  That is not the case.  Being successful does not mean being perfect.

Truth. ^^^^

Quote:I don't know where you got that he said that, because he never said that no changes should have been made.

We are talking about the extra point! You sure you want to make your stand on they're ruining the game on the extra point? The most boring play in football (or all of sports). You really think it's wrong to bring up the possibility of changing it? Oh, the horror!

There are things about the NFL that can be discussed and argued that get to the real heart of the game. The extra point ain't one of them.

Some people just rise to the bait every time. I mean, my god, people on here are still arguing about the Jaguars helmets. No wonder some people have a near stroke when talking about the sacred extra point.

I think a lot of credibility is lost when people act like the extra point was part of the original Ten Commandments.

Quote:What? Sorry, but that made very little sense.

You may be young, but ignorance is no excuse.  As I said before (that wouldn't have to be repeated if you had bothered to read,) evolution is natural.  This isn't that kind of change.

NASCAR once basked in the glory of being able to call itself the fastest growing sport.  What did they do?  They changed their championship structure and the bottom fell out.  Now it's hard for them to fill venues they once sold out.  Granted, the economy had a great deal to do with that, but make no mistake about it... the "Chase" has ended up being like the BCS in popularity.

And speaking of BCS, that system is about to be replaced as well.  That only goes to further illustrate that when we present half-baked ideas intended to "fix" things, it's not long before those so-called "solutions" must be fixed as well.

You do the right thing from the beginning, and cleaning up after your own mess isn't necessary.  I'm sure you'll realize that soon enough, given your attidude that reeks of inexperience.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I think a lot of credibility is lost when people act like the extra point was part of the original Ten Commandments.

Much more is lost when one makes analogies as lame as this.

Quote:You may be young, but ignorance is no excuse.  As I said before (that wouldn't have to be repeated if you had bothered to read,) evolution is natural.  This isn't that kind of change.

NASCAR once basked in the glory of being able to call itself the fastest growing sport.  What did they do?  They changed their championship structure and the bottom fell out.  Now it's hard for them to fill venues they once sold out.  Granted, the economy had a great deal to do with that, but make no mistake about it... the "Chase" has ended up being like the BCS in popularity.

And speaking of BCS, that system is about to be replaced as well.  That only goes to further illustrate that when we present half-baked ideas intended to "fix" things, it's not long before those so-called "solutions" must be fixed as well.

You do the right thing from the beginning, and cleaning up after your own mess isn't necessary.  I'm sure you'll realize that soon enough, given your attidude that reeks of inexperience.

You're sinking deeper and deeper into incoherence. Why are you trying to play the Wise Old Man? It's not working. I suspect you're younger than me. You don't seem to be wiser.

You still didn't draw any understandable comparison between NASCAR and the NFL. Does the NFL have restrictor plate racing? Apples and Oranges. You really think the NFL ratings will nosedive with the change in the extra point? Really?

And by the way - the BCS worked. You usually got #1 v. #2. Being an old codger you surely remember all the years we had to see #1 in the Orange Bowl while #2 was in the Rose Bowl. The BCS was a logical way station to a playoff system.

So - my evolution is your "stupid idea." That's fine. You or me don't get to make that decision. All I know is that if they change the extra point I'll continue to attend and watch NFL games. You and TMD can walk off in a huff on your way to the nearest MLS game.

Quote:You're sinking deeper and deeper into incoherence. Why are you trying to play the Wise Old Man? It's not working. I suspect you're younger than me. You don't seem to be wiser.

You still didn't draw any understandable comparison between NASCAR and the NFL. Does the NFL have restrictor plate racing? Apples and Oranges. You really think the NFL ratings will nosedive with the change in the extra point? Really?

And by the way - the BCS worked. You usually got #1 v. #2. Being an old codger you surely remember all the years we had to see #1 in the Orange Bowl while #2 was in the Rose Bowl. The BCS was a logical way station to a playoff system.

So - my evolution is your "stupid idea." That's fine. You or me don't get to make that decision. All I know is that if they change the extra point I'll continue to attend and watch NFL games. You and TMD can walk off in a huff on your way to the nearest MLS game.

That was a horrible waste of many words to say absolutely nothing.  When you find a salient point, we'll see you then.

Wack

Quote:We are talking about the extra point! You sure you want to make your stand on they're ruining the game on the extra point? The most boring play in football (or all of sports). You really think it's wrong to bring up the possibility of changing it? Oh, the horror!

There are things about the NFL that can be discussed and argued that get to the real heart of the game. The extra point ain't one of them.

Some people just rise to the bait every time. I mean, my god, people on here are still arguing about the Jaguars helmets. No wonder some people have a near stroke when talking about the sacred extra point.

I think a lot of credibility is lost when people act like the extra point was part of the original Ten Commandments.

Most boring play in football?  Did you miss the John Carney extra point?  Because he did, and that made for one of the most memorable moments in Jags History.  Assuming you are a Jags fan, I'd think you would remember it.  If not, I posted it in this very topic.

You must not watch many sports if you think it's the most boring play in all of sports.  Cricket is the most boring play in all of sports.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke.