Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Roger Goodell says extra points may be abolished

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014, 09:15 PM by C'MON JAGS.)

So they want to do something to make the PAT more entertaining and less automatic do they??

How about these suggestions??

The head coach has to attempt the PAT. If he's injured (like Sean Payton broke his leg one year or just out, like John Fox was this season when JDR took over) then the opposing coach gets to pick any coach on the sideline to attempt the PAT. That way you can't just have your best possible kicker replacing your head coach.

How about having a fan kick the PAT?? They could enter their name into a drawing the week of the home game, the drawing would be done early enough so the fan could have a few days of practice and coaching before they actually attempt the PAT. Of course the fan would have to sign a waiver in case of injury and all.

I haven't worked out all the details yet, but they would actually have to draw several names to have a backup or 3, just in case a back up or 3 is needed. They could all get coaching from the teams kicker.

Also, the kicking team would be allowed to have an extra blocker on the play so that both teams would have 11 NFL special team players per side, but the home team would have 1 extra person, that being the fan attempting the XP.

Of course there would be special rules in place to protect the fan from being touched on the PAT. Maybe a 5 -7 mississippi count before they are allowed to rush. Or maybe if someone runs into or touches the kicker the home team is awarded 3 or 4 points or something like that. Or maybe no rush at all, the defenders can only jump in the air with their hands up and try to block the XP.

Like I said, I have not worked out all the details

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Of course, the two Pro Bowl kickers scoffed at the idea:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...at-attempt

No surprise there. I am sure their long snappers would agree with that.

It's part of the game. Leave it alone. That'd be like baseball making running around the bases after a home-run not required anymore (nah, don't worry about touching those bases anymore. The balls already cleared the stands.). Or hockey getting rid of icing (nah, you're slowing the game down by clearing the puck). Regardless of the percentage rate forming from the PAT's, it makes the team earn the complete 7pts, while giving the defense somewhat of a chance to change momentum from the score (however low the odds/chance). It's part of the game and should be left alone. They already are heading towards flag football, let's keep some sense of the game intact...

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:It's part of the game. Leave it alone. That'd be like baseball making running around the bases after a home-run not required anymore (nah, don't worry about touching those bases anymore. The balls already cleared the stands.). Or hockey getting rid of icing (nah, you're slowing the game down by clearing the puck). Regardless of the percentage rate forming from the PAT's, it makes the team earn the complete 7pts, while giving the defense somewhat of a chance to change momentum from the score (however low the odds/chance). It's part of the game and should be left alone. They already are heading towards flag football, let's keep some sense of the game intact...

Baseball has long talked about, but done nothing about, making the intentional walk not require four actual pitches.

Which would be okay by me - anything to speed up the game.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Baseball has long talked about, but done nothing about, making the intentional walk not require four actual pitches.

Which would be okay by me - anything to speed up the game.

What would they do instead?

Quote:What would they do instead?

Just hit the batter with the pitch.

Can we just abolish Roger Goodell instead?

Quote:Can we just abolish Roger Goodell instead?

There is absolutely no reason in the world to hate him for what the COMPETITION COMMITTEE AND TEAM OWNERS do because he obviously is not the one coming up with these ideas.

Quote:There is absolutely no reason in the world to hate him for what the COMPETITION COMMITTEE AND TEAM OWNERS do because he obviously is not the one coming up with these ideas.

JW: logic has no force when up against an agenda. You'll lose every time, or tire of playing the game.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:JW: logic has no force when up against an agenda. You'll lose every time, or tire of playing the game.

Why don't people tell me why I am wrong if they want to convince me I am? I have not lost anything until someone disproves my comments.

What agenda are you talking about?

It's tradition. I'd like to see Roger be abolished at this point. I am so sick of this man. Every year he's constantly trying to change something or mess with something. Just leave it alone! You have a perfect product. Sit back, kick your feet up, and keep throwing out those record breaking fines.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:It's tradition. I'd like to see Roger be abolished at this point. I am so sick of this man. Every year he's constantly trying to change something or mess with something. Just leave it alone! You have a perfect product. Sit back, kick your feet up, and keep throwing out those record breaking fines.

Great minds think alike. I said similar in post 107. 

Quote:It's tradition. I'd like to see Roger be abolished at this point. I am so sick of this man. Every year he's constantly trying to change something or mess with something. Just leave it alone! You have a perfect product. Sit back, kick your feet up, and keep throwing out those record breaking fines.

Why do you hate Roger Goodell? He is not trying to change anything. The competition committe and team owners are. It has been that way forever.

I would leave them alone, but if they want to change it they should do what they do in rugby.

Quote:The kick is taken unopposed from a point in line with where the ball was grounded for the try, as near or as far from the goal-line as the kicker desires.

So basically, if the ball crosses the plane on the right touchline, the ball is kicked from the right touchline. If it crosses the plane on the left hash mark, the ball is kicked from the left hash mark.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:I would leave them alone, but if they want to change it they should do what they do in rugby.

So basically, if the ball crosses the plane on the right touchline, the ball is kicked from the right touchline. If it crosses the plane on the left hash mark, the ball is kicked from the left hash mark.

Because most quarterbacks are right-handed and most kickers are right-footed, that actually would not be a bad idea . . . except the easiest way to score a touchdown is between the hashes.

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2014, 09:30 AM by Plastered.)

Move the goal posts closer together, and the kicking spot back a few more yards.  Will make field goals less automatic too.  

Quote:Move the goal posts closer together, and the kicking spot back a few more yards.  Will make field goals less automatic too.  

Field goals are rarely automatic.

Oh no

Oh no

Quote:I don't know where you got that he said that, because he never said that no changes should have been made.

Progress is good.  But Change for the Sake of Change is not progress.  That every change has had a segment arguing against it, doesn't automatically make the people arguing against this change wrong.  Nor does it make the people arguing against the other changes wrong just because the changes still exist (assuming they still do)

For example the Tuck Rule, which was in effect from 1999 - 2013.  It was recently repealed by the league.  

Every change they make, no matter how successful the league is, doesn't make the change 'right'.  Otherwise rules would never be reversed.  The league and it's owners are not infallible.  Change can absolutely be bad.

You seem to be suggesting that they are infallible because they are successful.  That is not the case.  Being successful does not mean being perfect.

"New Coke" seems to leap to mind.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!