Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Richard Sherman on the people who call him "Thug"

Quote:I have no problem with someone having a fired up interview after a game. His interview was completely self serving. Telling everyone he is the best corner in the game. He says that as many times as he can to whatever reporter will listen.

If you really are the best in the league, you wouldnt have to say it all the time to make yourself feel better.

Other than that, great interview. Erin Andrews face was classic.

He doesn't say it because he has to. He wears his emotion on his sleeve. That's who he is and how he has been since entering the league.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He doesn't say it because he has to. He wears his emotion on his sleeve. That's who he is and how he has been since entering the league.

Ok, good for him.  Then I have the right to think he is cocky and arrogant.

There have been other guys who have been fired up in interviews after games and it wasnt a huge deal.  I think its what he said and how he said it.  He likes having attention on himself, and he got it.

Quote:What he did last night gives people a very good reason to call him a thug. I feel bad for Erin Andrews, who had to listen to his crap before asking him about the win.

But anyone who read his comments about Seahawks fans throwing popcorn at a 49ers player believed to have a torn ACL while he was being carted off might think he is not a thug, just a guy who hates Michael Crabtree.

If that was Eric Decker talking like that he would not be called a thug.

Quote:If that was Eric Decker talking like that he would not be called a thug.

That is a terrible point to make.  Eric Decker doesnt talk like that so making that comparison and assuming someone would think that way is basically calling them a racist.  Of anyone on this board, while not always realizing how what she says may come across, JW doesn't have a mean bone in her body.

If you knew about Sherman's background, education, and have read some of the things he has put out there...you would know he isnt a thug.

If you are tall, big, black, have dreads, and come off as intimidating, angry, and aggressive you are seen as thuggish. If you are white and the above you are passionate and crazy.

Quote:That is a terrible point to make. Eric Decker doesnt talk like that so making that comparison and assuming someone would think that way is basically calling them a racist. Of anyone on this board, while not always realizing how what she says may come across, JW doesn't have a mean bone in her body.

If you knew about Sherman's background, education, and have read some of the things he has put out there...you would know he isnt a thug.

Did you read what I wrote at all? Serious question.

Quote:Sometimes your opinion isn't the truth.

He was loud, ignorant, and he couldn't control himself. 

He's not a thug, he just can't control his emotions. 

I never said he was a thug.

Quote:If you are tall, big, black, have dreads, and come off as intimidating, angry, and aggressive you are seen as thuggish. If you are white and the above you are passionate and crazy.

This +10000

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:If you are tall, big, black, have dreads, and come off as intimidating, angry, and aggressive you are seen as thuggish. If you are white and the above you are passionate and crazy.

I read every bit of what you wrote and disagree with what you said.  If a white player that looked exactly the same said it, I would have said the same exact thing.

Can you name a player that has said he is the best player at his position in the context he was using it Sunday?  If you can, I would call him cocky and arrogant as well.

Right. So what is Richie Incognito?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Right. So what is Richie Incognito?

I would call him a thug, and I would'nt call Richard Sherman a thug (some may be using that term in the wrong context with Sherman.)

You want to know how you show passion in a post game interview without coming off as a complete idiot?

See Bart Scott after their playoff win.  He showed passion and excitement.

So do we want all football players to be boring and not speak their mind? Because thats what youre all advocating for. 

Quote:So do we want all football players to be boring and not speak their mind? Because thats what youre all advocating for. 

Who is advocating that?  He can speak his mind all he wants, and when that happens people talk about it.

If you say something provocative, get ready for back and forth about it.  Good or bad, its coming.

Regardless of what we think, Richard Sherman is going to keep talking.

I see his side and can understand the issue with Crabtree.  That part I really dont mind...its football.

Its claiming you're the best.  He gives a little bit of credit to his defensive pass rush in this article, which is great, but he did it after the fact.  He sure wasnt saying how good their pass rush was Sunday.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sh...-crabtree/

Quote:Right. So what is Richie Incognito?

He is a big meanie. If Incognito was black he'd be a thug. Is it so difficult to see that these double standards exist?

Quote:Ok, good for him.  Then I have the right to think he is cocky and arrogant.

There have been other guys who have been fired up in interviews after games and it wasnt a huge deal.  I think its what he said and how he said it.  He likes having attention on himself, and he got it.
He doesn't hide the fact that he is cocky, arrogant and loves the attention.  I think he'll be the first person to admit that.  What he isn't is a dirty player or a "thug".  He's the kind of player that plays with a chip on his shoulder and puts everything on the field; someone who loves to mess with another player's head and get under their skin.  You're crazy to not want a player like him on your team.

Quote:I read every bit of what you wrote and disagree with what you said. If a white player that looked exactly the same said it, I would have said the same exact thing.

Can you name a player that has said he is the best player at his position in the context he was using it Sunday? If you can, I would call him cocky and arrogant as well.

What exactly was thuggish about what he said or how he said it? More importantly why was the word 'thug' even brought up? Be honest.

Quote:I'd take Sherman on the Jaguars, his CB skills and his fire and attitude.  Jaguars need more players like him. 

Media is blowing this up. Nothing wrong with trash talking.  It's play ground not country club golf, tennis.
I have no problem with any trash talk in game. I thrived on that in fact when I played.

After the game though, completely unnecessary.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:He doesn't say it because he has to. He wears his emotion on his sleeve. That's who he is and how he has been since entering the league.
It's a shtick. Deion taught him well.

;

Quote:What exactly was thuggish about what he said or how he said it? More importantly why was the word 'thug' even brought up? Be honest.
He never said thug, or that it was thuggish.

It was classless, and meaningless and took away from his team. No matter skin color that's what it would be if anyone did what he did.

;

I will give you some examples of guys who flipped out in front of the media. All are classless, and meaningless.

Bobby Knight...on more than one occassion. Not only were some of the actions that he did classless and meaningless, so to were his words. "Now I'll run your into the ground you'll think last night was a picnic". Insert choice words where you think they'd be and you'd probably be right.

Mike Gundy, the "I'm a man" tirade where he blasts a media member for an article on a player.

Hal McRae's explosion when he was in Kansas City. It got so crazy he bloodied up one of the reporter's a bit.

Charlie Sheen and Alec Baldwin's crazy off the wall idiotness. Charlie through video, Baldwin in a phone call.

Anthony Weiner's rant in front of congress. over the top, classless moron.

These and many more caught enormous amounts of crap from the American public and media.

;