Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Richard Sherman on the people who call him "Thug"

Quote:What exactly was thuggish about what he said or how he said it? More importantly why was the word 'thug' even brought up? Be honest.

I didnt bring up the word thug, and have repeatedly said I didnt think he was thuggish.

Can you not understand why people would call the way he acted thuggish though?  Some people could misinterpret, or use that to best describe the way he acted.  You get that?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He is a big meanie. If Incognito was black he'd be a thug. Is it so difficult to see that these double standards exist?

You're trying to take this arguement and turn it into a race thing, which its not.

Richie Incognito acted more like a thug in Miami than Richard Sherman did on Sunday.  Does that make you happy, or are you mad that people dont see it the way you do?

Quote:You're trying to take this arguement and turn it into a race thing, which its not.

Richie Incognito acted more like a thug in Miami than Richard Sherman did on Sunday.  Does that make you happy, or are you mad that people dont see it the way you do?

I take it you havent had the chance to read some of the racists tweets directed towards Sherman after the game.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/...burst.html

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:I take it you havent had the chance to read some of the racists tweets directed towards Sherman after the game.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/...burst.html

Ok, how about with the civilized world its not?

You're always going to have people that are able to stand behind the computer and say that stuff.  That is a very very minor percentage of the population, in my opinion.  I relate it to people throwing food at Navaro Bowman after he was injured.  You're always going to have a few idiots that make everyone look bad.

Quote:Ok, how about with the civilized world its not?

You're always going to have people that are able to stand behind the computer and say that stuff.  That is a very very minor percentage of the population, in my opinion.  I relate it to people throwing food at Navaro Bowman after he was injured.  You're always going to have a few idiots that make everyone look bad.

In this case those very small percentage of people tweeting their racist rants are speaking volumes right now.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2014, 04:32 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:Ok, good for him. Then I have the right to think he is cocky and arrogant.

There have been other guys who have been fired up in interviews after games and it wasnt a huge deal. I think its what he said and how he said it. He likes having attention on himself, and he got it.
Of course you have that right. Never said you didn't. I'm just saying you can be the best at your craft and talk smack. Ali did it. Everyone's different.

Quote:It's a shtick. Deion taught him well.

Don't disagree though what he said in that interview was pure emotion. It didn't come off pre planned.

Quote:I didnt bring up the word thug, and have repeatedly said I didnt think he was thuggish.

Can you not understand why people would call the way he acted thuggish though? Some people could misinterpret, or use that to best describe the way he acted. You get that?

No, I don't understand why they call the way he acted thuggish other then the fact that he is black and has dreads. More to do With his appearance then how he acted.

Quote:No, I don't understand why they call the way he acted thuggish other then the fact that he is black and has dreads. More to do With his appearance then how he acted.

It doesn't excuse it, but with the number of kids who have mis-associated themselves with the term in the last 20 years, it's easy to understand why folks would make that mistake in kind.  A lot of wannabe's like to put that label on themselves to project to others how "tough" they are.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:It doesn't excuse it, but with the number of kids who have mis-associated themselves with the term in the last 20 years, it's easy to understand why folks would make that mistake in kind.  A lot of wannabe's like to put that label on themselves to project to others how "tough" they are.

Thank you, said it better than I could.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2014, 05:48 PM by Solid Snake.)

Quote:It doesn't excuse it, but with the number of kids who have mis-associated themselves with the term in the last 20 years, it's easy to understand why folks would make that mistake in kind. A lot of wannabe's like to put that label on themselves to project to others how "tough" they are.

You mean the scary black kids that have dreads and listen to rap, right? There is one and only one reason he was called a thug. It is because a certain segment of the American people have come to associate Sherman's look with thugs. They associate fired up [BLEEP] talking bravado after a game victory by an African American with Sherman's image as a being thuggish. Blame it on movies, tv, or this certain segment of the population own insecurities regarding another racial/ethnic group, that is the truth.

Quote:Don't disagree though what he said in that interview was pure emotion. It didn't come off pre planned.
I think you're underestimating Sherman.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote: In this case those very small percentage of people tweeting their racist rants are speaking volumes right now.
You're giving to much credit to the vocal minority of complete boobs.

;

Quote:You mean the scary black kids that have dreads and listen to rap, right? There is one and only one reason he was called a thug. It is because a certain segment of the American people have come to associate Sherman's look with thugs. They associate fired up [BAD WORD REMOVED] talking bravado after a game victory by an African American with Sherman's image as a being thuggish. Blame it on movies, tv, or this certain segment of the population own insecurities regarding another racial/ethnic group, that is the truth.

No, that image was created for those ignorant observers by the wannabes who created those false images.

It would appear the issue is more complex than you seem to understand.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2014, 07:03 PM by badger.)

Quote: In this case those very small percentage of people tweeting their racist rants are speaking volumes right now.
It's probably mostly just people trolling for a response. People will say, "hey dumb N" just to try to get a reaction from Sherman even though they are not really racist. They are just trolls with no lives and get joy from hating on ALL people.

As i stated before; twitter should not be used to take the pulse of the nation. But many fall into the trap of assuming hateful comments are more than some idiot desperate for attention.

Most people would be happy to make the superbowl and be gracious in victory.

He strikes me as quite an insecure character who feels the need to show everyone how smart/good he is

Quote:It's probably mostly just people trolling for a response. People will say, "hey dumb N" just to try to get a reaction from Sherman even though they are not really racist. They are just trolls with no lives and get joy from hating on ALL people.

As i stated before; twitter should not be used to take the pulse of the nation. But many fall into the trap of assuming hateful comments are more than some idiot desperate for attention.

That's the truth right there! People see other people hating on a guy with pure passion for the game. The whole calling out Crabtree thing was absolutely not needed but does he have the right to? Absolutely he does. Sherman is the best corner In the game and his trash talk is another tool he can use. But then you have people like trent dilfer who are idiots themselves saying it's not right for what he did so all of the twitter groupies will follow in Trent's footsteps. What makes it not right for Sherman to speak how he feels on national tv. If espn and the rest of the world doesn't agree then don't interview him, they know what there doing and how much their tv ratings will go up after a story like that.

he is merely guilty of several cardinal sins. wrath, envy, and pride.  but hell most people are these days.  Patience, kindness, and humility are the virtues he should aspire to instead.

Quote:he is merely guilty of several cardinal sins. wrath, envy, and pride.  but hell most people are these days.  Patience, kindness, and humility are the virtues he should aspire to instead.
Pride being the biggest. Pride comes before the fall. Always.

;

Alot of the time I think people pretend to be fans of their rival after a loss and send hate mail to coaches and players. For example, the alabama kicker was getting all kinds of hate tweets and stuff. I think alot of it was really auburn fans just being d bags. Its actually a clever way of causing more chaos for your bitter rival.