Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Richard Sherman on the people who call him "Thug"

Quote:You're giving to much credit to the vocal minority of complete boobs.

Im (along with Sherman) just acknowledging they exist.

Quote:It's probably mostly just people trolling for a response. People will say, "hey dumb N" just to try to get a reaction from Sherman even though they are not really racist. They are just trolls with no lives and get joy from hating on ALL people.

As i stated before; twitter should not be used to take the pulse of the nation. But many fall into the trap of assuming hateful comments are more than some idiot desperate for attention.

Yes, there are some that were looking for attention and got it unfortunately, and there were a few (who accounts stayed open) who was consistent in their diatribes. 

I understand the people who are looking at it from a simplicity standpoint in which its nothing more than a bunch of dumb skull cowards posting foolishness. I get that.

The reason why I feel strongly about the Sherman issue is because I have been around people (Corporate America) who share these very sentiments of people of different races behind closed doors. I have sat in multiple meetings to where I literally hear people's perceptions of my race (and others) very blatantly using what they see in person as a mechanism to be skeptical of dedicated people like myself. Some hide it with secret undertones, and others openly put it out there. While I commit myself to not show any emotion of any kind at that specific instance, I cant help but to think what they are saying on social media about different races, better yet, what they are saying behind closed doors. Some people may look at it as me being "paranoid", but I look at it as what can I do to maintain my humility personally, but somehow get across to these people that you cant paint a broad brush on a race based off of what you see on TV.

Would I love to think that the people who are actually prejudice or racists is alot smaller than what im perceiving it to be? Of course, but what has been said before is that the reason why the majority of society think racism is over is because they don't overtly observe it, but in reality, institutional racism is very prevalent in today's society.

Im not here to present a whinefest because that is not what my point is about. I just wanted to expand on my feelings that whether we love or hate it, social media has become the norm for people to post their feelings regardless if they are trolling or not.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Im (along with Sherman) just acknowledging they exist.

Yes, there are some that were looking for attention and got it unfortunately, and there were a few (who accounts stayed open) who was consistent in their diatribes.

I understand the people who are looking at it from a simplicity standpoint in which its nothing more than a bunch of dumb skull cowards posting foolishness. I get that.

The reason why I feel strongly about the Sherman issue is because I have been around people (Corporate America) who share these very sentiments of people of different races behind closed doors. I have sat in multiple meetings to where I literally hear people's perceptions of my race (and others) very blatantly using what they see in person as a mechanism to be skeptical of dedicated people like myself. Some hide it with secret undertones, and others openly put it out there. While I commit myself to not show any emotion of any kind at that specific instance, I cant help but to think what they are saying on social media about different races, better yet, what they are saying behind closed doors. Some people may look at it as me being "paranoid", but I look at it as what can I do to maintain my humility personally, but somehow get across to these people that you cant paint a broad brush on a race based off of what you see on TV.

Would I love to think that the people who are actually prejudice or racists is alot smaller than what im perceiving it to be? Of course, but what has been said before is that the reason why the majority of society think racism is over is because they don't overtly observe it, but in reality, institutional racism is very prevalent in today's society.

Im not here to present a whinefest because that is not what my point is about. I just wanted to expand on my feelings that whether we love or hate it, social media has become the norm for people to post their feelings regardless if they are trolling or not.

No, I know racism is not over. It isnt just between blacks and whites either. Its a part of humanity that we may never entirely get over.

Quote:Im (along with Sherman) just acknowledging they exist.

And they always will. There will be racist people as long as humans walk the earth. There will always be folks who don't like another race, across the board. Don't pay them any attention. They are a vocal minority at best.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:You mean the scary black kids that have dreads and listen to rap, right? There is one and only one reason he was called a thug. It is because a certain segment of the American people have come to associate Sherman's look with thugs. They associate fired up [BAD WORD REMOVED] talking bravado after a game victory by an African American with Sherman's image as a being thuggish. Blame it on movies, tv, or this certain segment of the population own insecurities regarding another racial/ethnic group, that is the truth.

scary has nothing to do with the term thug.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:And they always will. There will be racist people as long as humans walk the earth. There will always be folks who don't like another race, across the board. Don't pay them any attention. They are a vocal minority at best.

Ehhh, I see what JFC is saying. Many people may not express their views outright, but I don't think it is a vocal minority at best. There is way too much inequality still for that to be the case IMO.

Quote:You're trying to take this arguement and turn it into a race thing, which its not.

Precisely.  The word has been misused by people of all backgrounds.

But the larger question is... why?

The answer, is because kids have adopted the term to call themselves in order to feel cool.  If it's used wrong, it's going to be picked up and repeated.

No matter what your skin color.

Those bringing skin color into the conversation are just as bigoted as those they're clamoring about.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Ehhh, I see what JFC is saying. Many people may not express their views outright, but I don't think it is a vocal minority at best. There is way too much inequality still for that to be the case IMO.
I can buy that, but I don't think it is as many as some believe it to be either. It also goes both ways, sadly. I think when it gets harped on, from both sides, it helps to keep racism alive even that much more.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:scary has nothing to do with the term thug.

Please dont take this as me being sarcastic, but I am sincerely appreciative of the fact you dont think that way, but....

there are others who think the complete opposite from you, when it comes to "their" own personal definition of the word thug.

Without going completely off topic or even political, take a look at the Jordan Davis situation and the following rhetoric thereafter.

As badger stated earlier, racism goes both ways and the behavior can be exemplified by any race. so that has to be taken into thought as well.

Bringing skin color into a conversation like this one absolutely has merit especially if someone is giving their own personal perspective based off of experiences they have witnessed in their life.

Those who are labeled as an adjective because they inject a  certain aspect into a conversation that they are uncomfortable with also tends to play reverse psychology which is a very small form of institutionalized racism as well. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:I can buy that, but I don't think it is as many as some believe it to be either. It also goes both ways, sadly. I think when it gets harped on, from both sides, it helps to keep racism alive even that much more.

Agree.  Until folks see one another for their individualism rather than by their associated labels, this kind of garbage will never be allowed to end.

Quote:You mean the scary black kids that have dreads and listen to rap, right? There is one and only one reason he was called a thug. It is because a certain segment of the American people have come to associate Sherman's look with thugs. They associate fired up [BAD WORD REMOVED] talking bravado after a game victory by an African American with Sherman's image as a being thuggish. Blame it on movies, tv, or this certain segment of the population own insecurities regarding another racial/ethnic group, that is the truth.

Sherman explains what people mean when they call him (or people like him) thugs.

http://deadspin.com/richard-sherman-expl...1506821800

Quote:Sherman explains what he believes people mean when they call him (or people like him) thugs.

http://deadspin.com/richard-sherman-expl...1506821800

Fixed that for you.

Quote:Fixed that for you.

I didn't know you could think for Richard Sherman.

Go ahead, tell us all how racism really works in this country.

Quote:I didn't know you could think for Richard Sherman.

Go ahead, tell us all how racism really works in this country.

This is delicious irony.

Richard Sherman is speaking for those he has no idea what they're thinking, yet that's what you're accusing me of (which I haven't done at all.)

Yet you're defending his opinion as if it's fact.

You're exposing quite a bit of your own bigotry here.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014, 08:54 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:I can buy that, but I don't think it is as many as some believe it to be either. It also goes both ways, sadly. I think when it gets harped on, from both sides, it helps to keep racism alive even that much more.

It does. People use the word so freely without thought to the impact it has on our society when used incorrectly.

Quote:Precisely. The word has been misused by people of all backgrounds.

But the larger question is... why?

The answer, is because kids have adopted the term to call themselves in order to feel cool. If it's used wrong, it's going to be picked up and repeated.

No matter what your skin color.

Those bringing skin color into the conversation are just as bigoted as those they're clamoring about.

I disagree. Is it misused by everyone? Probably. Is it misused more by white people in describing black people? You would have a hard time convincing me otherwise based on what I've seen throughout out my life and I'm seeing it from the outside looking in.

Quote:This is delicious irony.

Richard Sherman is speaking for those he has no idea what they're thinking, yet that's what you're accusing me of (which I haven't done at all.)

Yet you're defending his opinion as if it's fact.

You're exposing quite a bit of your own bigotry here.

Im going to go out on a whiff an guess you dont know Sherman personally and know how he has been stereotyped from other than what you have read in the interviews he has given.

Im defending his opinion from speaking on personal experiences (which I can relate to) that has happened in my life which is a fact.

Haha! im exposing my own bigotry.....be careful what you are claiming because that same reverse psychology was used by slave-masters as a manipulating tactic.  

This thread is seriously boarding political. For me to not risk my 3rd warning I'm out.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Im going to go out on a whiff an guess you dont know Sherman personally and know how he has been stereotyped from other than what you have read in the interviews he has given.

Im defending his opinion from speaking on personal experiences (which I can relate to) that has happened in my life which is a fact.

Haha! im exposing my own bigotry.....be careful what you are claiming because that same reverse psychology was used by slave-masters as a manipulating tactic.

Cosign.

Quote:Im going to go out on a whiff an guess you dont know Sherman personally and know how he has been stereotyped from other than what you have read in the interviews he has given.

Cosign. Punkster probably never had to deal with that [BLEEP] ever.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014, 12:38 AM by finwe.)

race card didn't take to long to get played.  it could be a conspiracy by a bunch of racists. or it could be the obvious answer. that Sherman hateful and pompous little outburst is frowned upon by those whom expect decorum and sportsmanship