Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Richard Sherman on the people who call him "Thug"

Quote:Do you think he said it in good sportsmanship or kind of a dig?  It could be a little of both.

This isnt the first time Sherman has had a war of words with people.  You can also include Skip Bayless and the Vikings receivers, and I'm sure there are more that havent hit the media.  If thats what gets you motivated to play, go for it...but dont turn around and act like none of that ever happened.

Yep, I'd bet it was more of a dig than good sportsmanship....if the shoe was on the other foot and Crabtree did the same thing to him, I'd bet he'd have felt the same way. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014, 01:23 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Paul Brown said it best back when he was coaching. "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less."

Not with todays "me" athlete....its all about them, not team, regardless of what they "say". 

AT least thats what most seem to be about, anyway.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:Do you think he said it in good sportsmanship or kind of a dig?  It could be a little of both.

This isnt the first time Sherman has had a war of words with people.  You can also include Skip Bayless and the Vikings receivers, and I'm sure there are more that havent hit the media.  If thats what gets you motivated to play, go for it...but dont turn around and act like none of that ever happened.

Quote:Yep, I'd bet it was more of a dig than good sportsmanship....if the shoe was on the other foot and Crabtree did the same thing to him, I'd bet he'd have felt the same way. 
Of course there was a dig there.

It's called passive-aggressive. All the great in game talkers master it. I know from experience.

To this day I am still able to annoy folks with this method :woot:

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014, 06:32 PM by Solid Snake.)

Quote:I think most people here have said that they wouldnt describe him as a thug....

What word would you use to describe him during that interview? In that interview he came off more as a me guy and overly cocky telling everyone he was the best. He said the same exact thing in an interview with ESPN Deportes seconds before that interview.
Crunk

Hype

Motivated

Confident

Fiercely Competitive

You not on my level.

First of all, Sherman made a sportsmanlike gesture towards Crabtree after that play, and was rebuffed. No big deal, it was an intense moment. Sherman had just made the clinching play in the biggest game of his life. We expect these guys to amp it up, how can we expect them to cool it down so soon after a game?

If you watch this video and come away thinking Sherman is a thug, I can't help you.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

I am not sure how some can come away with the post game interview and think everything is cool. He himself said it wasn't.

I don't care what adjective you try to give it.

;

I don't think it's cool, just understandable. There's a difference.

- Bob Marley

I don't understand the absence these days of sportsmanship? It's one thing to talk trash on the field yet completely different to talk trash through the media. It's perfectly fine to get in a guys head during the game then afterwards tell a reporter you just beat a fierce competitor.

Regards........................the Chiefjag

Quote:I don't think it's cool, just understandable. There's a difference.
It's understandable to blow your top, take away from the team, and disparage an opposing player on TV? Nice. Let's not forget that Sherman tipped the ball and was intercepted by one of his teammates. If the ball wasn't intercepted SF still has the ball and a chance to win it still.

Along with Paul Brown's quote I posted earlier, here is this. From John Madden that I saw today, "Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble."

;

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014, 09:21 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:I don't understand the absence these days of sportsmanship? It's one thing to talk trash on the field yet completely different to talk trash through the media. It's perfectly fine to get in a guys head during the game then afterwards tell a reporter you just beat a fierce competitor.

Regards........................the Chiefjag
Amen.

As I said earlier in the thread. If you have to say you are the best, or have to say that you just beat a fierce competitor, people will notice. You don't have to beat your chest and rant to anyone.

;

I love Sherman. I don't have a single problem with what he said, and here's why. Crabtree is a slug. He was trash talking Sherman all game, like he always does to DBs. Sherman got the last laugh, and decided to have a little fun with it. I think it was partly venting as well, because having to cover a loser like Crabtree all game and hear his weak smack would make anyone a little insane.

I loved it, personally. Poetic justice.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:I love Sherman. I don't have a single problem with what he said, and here's why. Crabtree is a slug. He was trash talking Sherman all game, like he always does to DBs. Sherman got the last laugh, and decided to have a little fun with it. I think it was partly venting as well, because having to cover a loser like Crabtree all game and hear his weak smack would make anyone a little insane.

I loved it, personally. Poetic justice.
You've got to be kidding. The amount of trash talk slung in game is extremely high. Sherman is famous for his trash talk, come on now.

;

Quote:You've got to be kidding. The amount of trash talk slung in game is extremely high. Sherman is famous for his trash talk, come on now.
So, what's the problem? He let it carry off of the field. I can find things to dislike lots of players over. An overconfident, Ill advised, overpassionate interview following a huge game is hardly one of them.

Sherman is a good all around person, and a great player. He was right when he called crabtree sorry too. It is a spot on assessment.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:So, what's the problem? He let it carry off of the field. I can find things to dislike lots of players over. An overconfident, Ill advised, overpassionate interview following a huge game is hardly one of them.

Sherman is a good all around person, and a great player. He was right when he called crabtree sorry too. It is a spot on assessment.
I am still dumbfounded that people don't see the problem with it following the game in the manner that he did.

This has nothing to do with him as a person. I agree, he is a good all around person. What he did was pointless, took away from his team, and classless.

Even he admitted as much.

;

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014, 11:19 PM by Solid Snake.)

I have a feeling a lot of you have never played a single competitive sport ever in your life. When I played ball, I always played with a chip on my shoulder. I saw the other team as the enemy and I literally wanted to destroy them ever snap. I didn't literally want to kill them, it was a controlled rage. It was the same running track. I wanted to do everything to beat you, even embarrass you if I could. There was nothing wrong with what Sherman said. He is a true competitor who helped reveal once again how really insecure some people are. This situation reminds me of the parents complaining about the football team that put up 90+ points on the opposing team. They thought it was mean spirited and unsportsmanlike. Since when did sportsmanship include showing mercy? Since when was it all about being quiet and not dpeaking your mind? Jordan didn't do it. Kobe didn't. Moss, TO, Irvin didn't. Prime was always talking trash. This whole thing shouldnt even be as debated as it is. But then people had to bring race into to it, calling the dude slurs and calling his behavior "thuggish". I bet these people have never seen a real thug, outside of what's portrayed in movies.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014, 11:46 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

Quote:I never said he was a thug.

I know you didn't. I was just making an observation about his behavior and that it was similar to what you described, but I was noting that I didn't believe he was a thug

Quote:I have a feeling a lot of you have never played a single competitive sport ever in your life. When I played ball, I always played with a chip on my shoulder. I saw the other team as the enemy and I literally wanted to destroy them ever snap. I didn't literally want to kill them, it was a controlled rage. It was the same running track. I wanted to do everything to beat you, even embarrass you if I could. There was nothing wrong with what Sherman said. He is a true competitor who helped reveal once again how really insecure some people are. This situation reminds me of the parents complaining about the football team that put up 90+ points on the opposing team. They thought it was mean spirited and unsportsmanlike. Since when did sportsmanship include showing mercy? Since when was it all about being quiet and not dpeaking your mind? Jordan didn't do it. Kobe didn't. Moss, TO, Irvin didn't. Prime was always talking trash. This whole thing shouldnt even be as debated as it is. But then people had to bring race into to it, calling the dude slurs and calling his behavior "thuggish". I bet these people have never seen a real thug, outside of what's portrayed in movies.
What you described is how I played the game for 16 years. I played nasty, I talked trash, I loved it. I loved the game within the game. Once the game is over, I never, ever thought to disparage an opponent the way he did. It's not just uncalled for, it was classless, proved nothing. Again....Even Sherman Admits This Now!!!

I love your opinion of being insecure. That made me chuckle.

You point out Jordan and Kobe. They've never disparaged an opponent through the media outside the game. They were/are extremely classy athletes.

;

Quote:It's understandable to blow your top, take away from the team, and disparage an opposing player on TV? Nice. Let's not forget that Sherman tipped the ball and was intercepted by one of his teammates. If the ball wasn't intercepted SF still has the ball and a chance to win it still.

Along with Paul Brown's quote I posted earlier, here is this. From John Madden that I saw today, "Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble."

Yes, I understand how it could happen, and I understand why he apologized. Personally, I'm tired of cliches and coachspeak. We got a glimpse into the mind of a world class athlete before he could turn it down a few notches.

- Bob Marley

Quote:What you described is how I played the game for 16 years. I played nasty, I talked trash, I loved it. I loved the game within the game. Once the game is over, I never, ever thought to disparage an opponent the way he did. It's not just uncalled for, it was classless, proved nothing. Again....Even Sherman Admits This Now!!!

I love your opinion of being insecure. That made me chuckle.

You point out Jordan and Kobe. They've never disparaged an opponent through the media outside the game. They were/are extremely classy athletes.

Are you sure you watched either athlete? And what does it matter if the disparaged an opponent on the field of play or outside. I don't see the difference.

Quote:I am still dumbfounded that people don't see the problem with it following the game in the manner that he did.

This has nothing to do with him as a person. I agree, he is a good all around person. What he did was pointless, took away from his team, and classless.

Even he admitted as much.

I get where you're coming from, especially as a coach. It was the display of everything you don't WANT your players doing after a game. He looked ignorant, arrogant and hot headed no denying it. I don't like it one bit, I would be embarrassed if I had anything to do with him honestly. But I don't see him as a thug because of it, an idiot sure, thug no.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]