Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** NFC Championship Game Day Thread

Quote:Typical trash talk between bitter rivals, but I agree with Crabtree on that one.

Who would you say is the best corner in the league then?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:NFL.com  ^

Couple of notes from NFLNetwork's coverage of this game.

NFLNetwork's Steve Wyche astutely pointed out there is a reason why there is typically a 10-15 minute grace period after a game-namely to allow players to turn down the emotions before speaking to reporters.  Wyche also observed that in subsequent interviews after the game, Sherman was a lot more calm.

He also described what Sherman told him was the origin of this feud.

According to Wyche, Sherman and Crabtree were both at a black tie function hosted by Cardinals' WR Larry Fitzgerald.  Based upon Sherman's account to Wyche, Crabtree harassed and harangued him throughout the dinner, even as Sherman tried to walk away from him.

Understanding there are usually three sides to a story...his side, her side, and the truth-if you assume this to be true, then I could understand the added emotion reflected in an impromptu interview under those circumstances-immediately after he made the play against Crabtree that put his team in the Super Bowl.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Problem is this isn't the first time Sherman has shown his true colors. The guy is a punk all the time...not just after he wins a huge game. You think Russell Wilson was spouting off like that?
Russell Wilson didn't just make the game winning play just a minute or two to put his team into the Super Bowl against a hated rival against whom he has a personal beef.

Quote:Is it me or was that the only time they threw at Sherman? I'm thinking Kaep let the rivalry get to him, and he believed what better way to beat the Seahawks than score on Sherman to clinch the NFC? I guarantee you everyone would be praising Kaep and booing Sherman if it was a TD

There may be something to that, if what Steve Wyche relayed about what happened over the summer is true.

Quote:Kaep's decision to throw to Crabtree was terrible. In his press conference, he openly admitted that he would take the match-up (Crabtree vs Sherman) 100% of the time. When asked what were his other options, he said the other three receivers. He said he will have to watch the film to see if the other three were opened, which evidently meant that he was dead lock on Crabtree and didn't bother to look at the other options.

BTW, the NFL network shows that his other receivers -- Patton, Davis, and Bolden -- were all wide opened and would have gained an easy 7-8 yards; 49ers had three timeouts with 30 secs at the 20 yard line.

It looks to me like Kaep and Crabtree wanted to win in style by having a game winning TD against the loud mouth but best cornerback in Sherman.

Just terrible decision by both Kaep and Crabtree.

And there it is.

Maybe it WAS personal.

Quote:I turned it off when Erin Andrews said, "I am not talking about you."

Sherman now is on my hate list for talking to her like that.

Too bad you cant put him on your "ignore" list on here.

Quote:I just wanted to address this one part. The rest I agree with.

If you or anyone else on this board has NEVER used a slur in thei life at some point for any group of people for any reason, whether to explain how "stupid" something was or how much of a d bag some one is, meaning that you don't mean it in the normal context, you are a better man than I.

The only term I have ever used IF its even considered a slur is redneck.

As much as I dont agree with someone's lifestyle, or the way other culture/races have stereotyped me or my race in the past up to this current time, my parents have taught me to always use self restraint and to never stoop to someone's ignorance by responding back with slur's no matter what the connotation behind it is.

What better way to celebrate MLK than going through what racists people have tweeted about Sherman. IMO he brought this upon himself.

I cant post the link because it has profanity, but just hop over to deadspin.com to read it.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:I get that he's emotional, and I understand that.  I get emotional sometimes too, and I don't usually scream about it to a camera showing myself to millions of viewers or random strangers.

A little self-control would be warranted.

I get that he hasn't been there before, but that doesn't mean he has to act like an absolute moron.

Deacon, come on, man.  I don't expect anything from professional athletes that I don't expect from myself or every other person on the earth.  Would you be proud if the team you coach behaved this way when they won?  I know I'd be disappointed in my sons if they did.  Win with dignity, that's all.

Sure, he can be excited.  Sure, he can be angry/pumped/amped, whatever.  But that doesn't excuse that type of classless behavior.

Hold on a second and let me clarify a bit. I'm not defending the guy, and I don't like what he did; but I'm not going to act like a 20 something year old kid who is coming off of the emotional high of making the greatest play of his career runs his mouth off is some horribad crime. 

Hey, I've ran my mouth off in the past, and I probably will in the future at some point. I'll probably regret it and all, but that's kind of part of being human. I'm not willing to stalk around like Sherman just drowned a dozen kittens at midfield just to show how awesome he is because he let his temper get the best of him.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:And then some get whooped by Andre Johnson. Sherman is Cortland Finnegan with talent. He's good but he's real good but he's a total DB. Personalities like him are bad for the game.

I completely disagree with the last part. It is great for the game. There will be more interest in the Super bowl simply because of the two lines he said.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 09:36 AM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

Quote:Couple of notes from NFLNetwork's coverage of this game.

NFLNetwork's Steve Wyche astutely pointed out there is a reason why there is typically a 10-15 minute grace period after a game-namely to allow players to turn down the emotions before speaking to reporters.  Wyche also observed that in subsequent interviews after the game, Sherman was a lot more calm.

He also described what Sherman told him was the origin of this feud.

According to Wyche, Sherman and Crabtree were both at a black tie function hosted by Cardinals' WR Larry Fitzgerald.  Based upon Sherman's account to Wyche, Crabtree harassed and harangued him throughout the dinner, even as Sherman tried to walk away from him.

Understanding there are usually three sides to a story...his side, her side, and the truth-if you assume this to be true, then I could understand the added emotion reflected in an impromptu interview under those circumstances-immediately after he made the play against Crabtree that put his team in the Super Bowl.

Sherman going over to Crabtree right after the INT during the game was classless.

Sherman's interview right afterwards reinforced many people beliefs about him.

Him grabbing, and holding receivers 15 yards down field without no flag does not make him the best DB in the league.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Sherman going over to Crabtree right after the INT during the game was classless.

Sherman's interview right afterwards reinforced many people beliefs about him.

Him grabbing, and holding receivers 15 yards down field without no flag does not make him the best DB in the league.

No but him having the most INT'S one year while being thrown at the least does. He is good and I don't think there is any disputing that regardless of how classless you think he is.

Growing up, I was taught from sports what being a "sore winner" and a "sore loser" was. It doesn't matter what the guy said I guess, but using past feuds as an excuse to make classless comments is stupid.

Anyway, he's undeniably a great CB, just wish he didn't make himself look like such an idiot on TV.

Quote:No but him having the most INT'S one year while being thrown at the least does. He is good and I don't think there is any disputing that regardless of how classless you think he is.

Put him on a team with a mediocre, or rebuilding defense and he is average. 

I watched alot of Seattle's defense this season, and they literally maul receiver on their routes and dont get called for it 70 percent of the time.

His only technique he is good at is lateral movement with his shadowing. You get him in motion on pick and crossing routes and he is toast unless he grabs and holds the receivers.

He is a product of the defense because he can rely on safety help when he is beat. Again, put him on a mediocre defense and he is toast.

Quote:Growing up, I was taught from sports what being a "sore winner" and a "sore loser" was. It doesn't matter what the guy said I guess, but using past feuds as an excuse to make classless comments is stupid.

Anyway, he's undeniably a great CB, just wish he didn't make himself look like such an idiot on TV.

I guess you've never had a personal beef with anyone and were interviewed about a minute or two after making a play against the guy you have the feud with to put your team into the Super Bowl.

All of this goes back to what I have maintained for years.

A fan can spout off about a play or series or a game or a season at any point, without watching any film or ever playing the game, and it's fine because it's within his rights as a fan.

A media hack can spout off about the same things with the same lack of information, and he's being an objective journalist.

A coach can spout off about the same things with a lot more information, and it's his right because he is a coach and he can call them as he sees them.

But the people who study film, who know the game plan, and who actually implement the game plan on the field...those who actually impact what happens on those plays, in those series, in those games, and throughout those seasons are precluded from saying anything, lest they be labeled as "jerks" etc.

Players are public figures, not public property. But people effectively censor them as if they were.

Considering they are the ones good enough to play, considering they are the ones putting their bodies and reputations on the line, considering they know what is said and done on the field between two players, they should be the last ones silenced.

Quote:Put him on a team with a mediocre, or rebuilding defense and he is average. 

I watched alot of Seattle's defense this season, and they literally maul receiver on their routes and dont get called for it 70 percent of the time.

His only technique he is good at is lateral movement with his shadowing. You get him in motion on pick and crossing routes and he is toast unless he grabs and holds the receivers.

He is a product of the defense because he can rely on safety help when he is beat. Again, put him on a mediocre defense and he is toast.

How is that different from any other CB?

Name 5 CBs that couldn't get beat without a pass rush.

I don't have any problems with Sherman's actions, classless maybe but I'd take him on my team in a heartbeat.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Players are public figures, not public property. But people effectively censor them as if they were.

Considering they are the ones good enough to play, considering they are the ones putting their bodies and reputations on the line, considering they know what is said and done on the field between two players, they should be the last ones silenced.

They're welcome to say whatever they like, doesn't mean we shouldn't think that some are athletically-talented-yet-completely-classless buffoons either.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:How is that different from any other CB?

Name 5 CBs that couldn't get beat without a pass rush.

Revis, Bailey, Peterson, Talib, Tillman

Quote:I don't have any problems with Sherman's actions, classless maybe but I'd take him on my team in a heartbeat.

I dont care either. So hes a smack talker... so. Its more interesting than the same scripted response in most post game interviews.

People need to get off Sherman's behind about his anti.  It's not that serious; not every players can or should act like Russell Wilson.  If the fans of a team can feel insulted about the media looking down on them, imagine how the players of that team feel, and they are the one that actually play on the field.  Sherman is an ultra competitive guy who is also an emotional rollercoaster, with the addition to the personal fued he has with Crabtree and 49ers, I'm not surprised about his anti.  But who cares, this is football.  there are male egos all over the field.  This is to be expected.