Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** NFC Championship Game Day Thread

Quote:Too bad you cant put him on your "ignore" list on here.

The only term I have ever used IF its even considered a slur is redneck.

As much as I dont agree with someone's lifestyle, or the way other culture/races have stereotyped me or my race in the past up to this current time, my parents have taught me to always use self restraint and to never stoop to someone's ignorance by responding back with slur's no matter what the connotation behind it is.

I cant post the link because it has profanity, but just hop over to deadspin.com to read it.
Yes, I was raised the same way. I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Not your fault, I'm not good at explaining things. I'll leave it at that. I don't want to get banned trying to get into more detail to explain it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yes, I was raised the same way. I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Not your fault, I'm not good at explaining things. I'll leave it at that. I don't want to get banned trying to get into more detail to explain it.

I understood your point. Some people say slurs without any connotation, or understanding behind it in which the same could be made for the N, J, C, etc word.

My point was the trash talking Sherman is doing is really putting him in a bad light and will come back on him.

With his interview with Andrews last night (even though she already clarified her stance), it just reinforced some people's beliefs about African Americans.

Just take alot on the racist tweets people have been posting about Sherman. Again, he brought this on himself when it was completely unnecessary. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

The Seahawks need a PR guy with Sherman at the end of every game. They know how he is. Set a time limit on when he can speak with the media. It'll help him out, and in turn the organization as a whole.

Trash talking, in game, is fine. It's when it continues the way it did yesterday, on national tv, that it is over the top and uncalled for.

The vast majority of players who get microphones shoved in their face post game don't act like him. Most know how to handle themselves.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Why wouldn't they want him doing that? It's not like it's harming the team, they're the best D in football.

Quote:Why wouldn't they want him doing that? It's not like it's harming the team, they're the best D in football.
Depends on who you consider they. The media? They love it.

Majority of fans, not so much. Play the game, talk on the field, not to the cameras after the game. It reeked of being classless.

;

Quote:Depends on who you consider they. The media? They love it.

Majority of fans, not so much. Play the game, talk on the field, not to the cameras after the game. It reeked of being classless.

Trav, this is where you are wrong. Majority of fans love to hate. The ratings are going to be higher for the super bowl now simply because of what Sherman said.

Quote:Depends on who you consider they. The media? They love it.

I don't see many Seahawks fans complaining about him and surely that's all they should care about? Why would anyone in Seattle give a hoot what a Jags fan or Bucs fan or whatever thinks about them? It's not like we're going to be buying Seattle merch anyway.

Seahawks fans love it

Id rather the nfl stay out of this and not try to censor everything players say.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 02:02 PM by badger.)

Quote:I understood your point. Some people say slurs without any connotation, or understanding behind it in which the same could be made for the N, J, C, etc word.

My point was the trash talking Sherman is doing is really putting him in a bad light and will come back on him.

With his interview with Andrews last night (even though she already clarified her stance), it just reinforced some people's beliefs about African Americans.

Just take alot on the racist tweets people have been posting about Sherman. Again, he brought this on himself when it was completely unnecessary.
Posts on twitter shouldnt be used to take the pulse of the nation. Its just a giant troll fest.

Racists are everywhere (black and white), and there isnt really anything you can do to change their minds. Its silly to worry about sherman smack talk like its going to affect anything much other than his own image

Quote:Posts on twitter shouldnt be used to take the pulse of the nation. Its just a giant troll fest.

Racists are everywhere (black and white), and there isnt really anything you can do to change their minds. Its silly to worry about sherman smack talk like its going to affect anything much other than his own image

Whether someone's purpose is to troll or not, social media has become a intricate part of our society, and is a snapshot of how (some) people feel without sensors.

Im not debating who is a racist or not, that's a debate that is not allowed on here. Im strictly discussing Sherman's actions and how it looked to some people and how it represented himself, the team, the orginization, his family and friends, and his race which was unacceptable.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:I understood your point. Some people say slurs without any connotation, or understanding behind it in which the same could be made for the N, J, C, etc word.

Sherman doesn't represent all African Americans.  Anyone who follows football already knows who Sherman is.  The only thing that result from this is that it will only affect Sherman's image, which he doesn't really care about.  And for people who wrote racist tweets, if not Sherman then it they will attack another minority celebrity who does stupid things.  You are making this more of an issue than it really is. 

Quote:Sherman doesn't represent all African Americans.  Anyone who follows football already knows who Sherman is.  The only thing that result from this is that it will only affect Sherman's image, which he doesn't really care about.  And for people who wrote racist tweets, if not Sherman then it they will attack another minority celebrity who does stupid things.  You are making this more of an issue than it really is. 

Agreed.

Quote:Sherman doesn't represent all African Americans.  Anyone who follows football already knows who Sherman is.  The only thing that result from this is that it will only affect Sherman's image, which he doesn't really care about.  And for people who wrote racist tweets, if not Sherman then it they will attack another minority celebrity who does stupid things.  You are making this more of an issue than it really is. 

I disagree.

Sherman's actions only reinforced some people's beliefs they have about African Americans and the overall perception of being aggressive and lack self control.

If this is an uncomfortable issue for you to discuss, admit it.

Well, I'm not african american, but I don't have that much of any issue with Sherman's antics.  I understand that the game of football is very emotional.  Like I've said earlier, if fans can be insulted if the media looks down upon their team, imagine how the players actually feel.  This is the closest thing to a strategic gladiator match as there is, and it's full of egos on the football field; some people handles it better than others.  Real football fans understand that. 

Sherman actually wrote an article on Peter King's mmqb column after the game.   Here is Sherman's take on what happened:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sh...-crabtree/

Quote:I disagree.

Sherman's actions only reinforced some people's beliefs they have about African Americans and the overall perception of being aggressive and lack self control.

If this is an uncomfortable issue for you to discuss, admit it.

I wouldn't worry about those people, racist are going to be racist regardless of what anyone does. Sherman acted like a hot head it's not a big deal, if someone wants to use that excuse to reinforce racist viewpoints I think they have a bigger problem then Sherman.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Well, I'm not african american, but I don't have that much of any issue with Sherman's antics.  I understand that the game of football is very emotional.  Like I've said earlier, if fans can be insulted if the media looks down upon their team, imagine how the players actually feel.  This is the closest thing to a strategic gladiator match as there is, and it's full of egos on the football field; some people handles it better than others.  Real football fans understand that. 

Sherman actually wrote an article on Peter King's mmqb column after the game.   Here is Sherman's take on what happened:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sh...-crabtree/

UFC, that's the closest to gladiatorial type games in the modern era.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I wouldn't worry about those people, racist are going to be racist regardless of what anyone does. Sherman acted like a hot head it's not a big deal, if someone wants to use that excuse to reinforce racist viewpoints I think they have a bigger problem then Sherman.

For the underlined bolded part....................

BINGO!

Quote:I wouldn't worry about those people, racist are going to be racist regardless of what anyone does. Sherman acted like a hot head it's not a big deal, if someone wants to use that excuse to reinforce racist viewpoints I think they have a bigger problem then Sherman.
Agree. Jameis is making it to be bigger than it should be.

Quote:Trav, this is where you are wrong. Majority of fans love to hate. The ratings are going to be higher for the super bowl now simply because of what Sherman said.
That was my point. The media wins here. They will tune in hoping to see the guy make more outlandish comments which make him look foolish so they can then complain.

;

Quote:I don't see many Seahawks fans complaining about him and surely that's all they should care about? Why would anyone in Seattle give a hoot what a Jags fan or Bucs fan or whatever thinks about them? It's not like we're going to be buying Seattle merch anyway.

Probably because they agree Richard Sherman is the best cornerback in the league and, as 49ers haters, believe he has a right to call out Michael Crabtree like that. Remember it is a nasty rivalry. It has been since Seattle switched conferences.