Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sign Greg Hardy and draft Clowney.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 10:23 PM by Arkane.)

Finally have a real pass rush and not settle for this really weak QB draft class.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

K
Big John Will Eat Your CHILDREN!!!!

Great idea, but what about the quarterback situation?

Quote:Great idea, but what about the quarterback situation?
What QB is a pretty promising positive impact player? I don't trust Manziel and I'm not completely sold on Bridgewater. But, Clowney is an amazing talent and Greg Hardy is 25, coming off two 10+ sack seasons and Carolina can't afford to Franchise him. Their GM today said sometimes you have to let guys go. I'd prefer paying a proven young talent like Hardy than hoping to draft another top tier DE in round 2 if we go QB first.

Blackmon back, Shorts healthy, Sanders as a 3 with a fully recovered MJD is a promising offense with Henne. We can get a guy in the second at QB like AJ or Boyd.

I wouldn't mind that.

I know that drafting a qb doesn't always equal upgrading a qb.

A lot of people here always assume that doing so is the case. They should know better after seeing the history of Jaguar qbs. It's been a downhill slide way more often than it's been an uphill climb.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I would think signing Hardy would make drafting Clowney less of a priority.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Carolina is probably going to resign Hardy. They were close during the season, there will probably be a cap casualty to free up some money like Charles Godfrey and they'll re-sign Hardy. 

Mmmmmmmm num numsssss

Quote:Carolina is probably going to resign Hardy. They were close during the season, there will probably be a cap casualty to free up some money like Charles Godfrey and they'll re-sign Hardy. 

They can free up a few million or in cap casualties. That puts them 22-24 million under the cap. They have a ton of free agents and not enough money to go around, 

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/top...ee-agents/

They were never close to signing a new contract during the season. Hardy was offered a contract of roughly 8 million a year and turned it down. Either of the franchise tags gives him 12-13 million for this season when they have 22 million available. They will need to sign 21 guys for a remaining 10 million. On top of that, they are at the end of Cams rookie deal. Next season, Cam will be the priority. Their GM said they are in "cap heck" for another two years and then they will be able to go after guys.

Quote:I would think signing Hardy would make drafting Clowney less of a priority.
Why not draft the best available player at a position of need ( DE ) just because you have somebody you can have on the other side of the line as well? Having an edge rush be viable from both sides of the line will make the interior line better and make it so the defensive backs don't have to cover as long. The entire defense gets better when the QB is pressured.

What if Clowney gets pick 1st or 2nd.  What do you do then?

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:What if Clowney gets pick 1st or 2nd.  What do you do then?

You'd still have Hardy and could take Matthews.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

A pass rush is great, but if I have to endure another season with Timmy Lupus as my QB I may go ballistic.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:You'd still have Hardy and could take Matthews.
We once took a tackle with the first and second picks of our draft a few years back with Monroe and Britton. Clowney is a much safer bet to get a positive return immediately then a tackle. The point is, if you get Hardy as what he is now before entering his prime, and you add Clowney as anything remotely close to what he is advertised as in the NFL, you won't have to worry about your pass rush for years to come. 

Quote:They can free up a few million or in cap casualties. That puts them 22-24 million under the cap. They have a ton of free agents and not enough money to go around, 

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/top...ee-agents/

They were never close to signing a new contract during the season. Hardy was offered a contract of roughly 8 million a year and turned it down. Either of the franchise tags gives him 12-13 million for this season when they have 22 million available. They will need to sign 21 guys for a remaining 10 million. On top of that, they are at the end of Cams rookie deal. Next season, Cam will be the priority. Their GM said they are in "cap heck" for another two years and then they will be able to go after guys.

Well I'm a Panthers fan, so I try to keep in touch with what they're doing, but I'm obviously wearing blue tinted glasses, but hear me out.

I don't disagree with you that the Panthers are in a tight spot Cap wise, but I do think they'll find a way to resign Hardy. He's from the Carolina's and he said he wants to stay there. The new GM in Carolina has been pretty good so far, and I think he'll find a way to restructure some of their outrageous "Marty Hurney" deals like the one Stewart has right now to keep Hardy, but they will be letting some other guys go.

A large chunk of Carolina's current free agents are backups that have been signed due to injury, and low level players like the WRs and corners. I expect Carolina to try and keep the front 7 intact, and rebuild their secondary and receivers through the draft. Gross might not even get re-signed for LT money if he comes back at all, he's aging and losing a step. I expect the Panthers to try and find a tackle in the draft.

Quote:What if Clowney gets pick 1st or 2nd.  What do you do then?
If we dont go QB and Clowney is off the board I want Watkins

Quote:A pass rush is great, but if I have to endure another season with Timmy Lupus as my QB I may go ballistic.
We went 4-4 down the stretch with Henne, didn't we? Add better field position by having a better defense among all of the other reasons I listed a few posts up and we could do better. Manziel in college threw an interception just about every game and the past two seasons he was supported by offensive tackles who will both be top 10 picks and a 6'6 receiver in Evans that nobody could cover. Do you think his small frame and running style, while also being a gunslinger is going to win us more games next year?

Quote:Well I'm a Panthers fan, so I try to keep in touch with what they're doing, but I'm obviously wearing blue tinted glasses, but hear me out.

I don't disagree with you that the Panthers are in a tight spot Cap wise, but I do think they'll find a way to resign Hardy. He's from the Carolina's and he said he wants to stay there. The new GM in Carolina has been pretty good so far, and I think he'll find a way to restructure some of their outrageous "Marty Hurney" deals like the one Stewart has right now to keep Hardy, but they will be letting some other guys go.

A large chunk of Carolina's current free agents are backups that have been signed due to injury, and low level players like the WRs and corners. I expect Carolina to try and keep the front 7 intact, and rebuild their secondary and receivers through the draft. Gross might not even get re-signed for LT money if he comes back at all, he's aging and losing a step. I expect the Panthers to try and find a tackle in the draft.
Thing is, since moving the Carolina about six years ago now I have become a fan of the local team here as well. Hardy said he wanted to stay there, originally. He then also stated he would give a small hometown discount since he has played four years in one uniform. Just shortly after that he said he would be open to a franchise tag, paying him over 12 million and making the Panthers have 10 million left to sign 21 other players. That also means putting off Cam's extension until next year and be in a similar situation as with Hardy, but only more expensive. And then the year after they will do the same with Luke. Ginn got 750k last season. They love him and he outproduces his salary so I expect a 1.5-2 million dollar contract for him. That means 8 million for 20 players. Captain Munnerlyn and Mitchel and Mikkel are going to get a bump up in money was well due to performance. That means even less money to go around. 

Lastly, the Krakens most recent comments, which he has repeated every interview since the Saints game has been " I will go where the money is ".

Quote:We went 4-4 down the stretch with Henne, didn't we? Add better field position by having a better defense among all of the other reasons I listed a few posts up and we could do better. Manziel in college threw an interception just about every game and the past two seasons he was supported by offensive tackles who will both be top 10 picks and a 6'6 receiver in Evans that nobody could cover. Do you think his small frame and running style, while also being a gunslinger is going to win us more games next year?

I definitely believe the key to the Jaguars winning games has to do with line play. One of the reasons the Panthers won was because of a stellar front 7, the best 4-3 in all of football this year. However, their offensive line stunk and limited what they could do offensively.

I don't think Henne is a bad QB, and I think the Dolphins where stupid to get rid of them for what they had, which is essentially a younger Chad Henne. However, if I'm anyone picking in the Top5 I'm not sold on Clowney. The guy is a freak athlete, no debating that, but he has a weak motor, and he disappeared this year no matter how you spin it. Julius Peppers was a monster when he was in Carolina, but his motor stopped for whole quarters. When he brought it no one could stop him though. You could get that with Clowney, or you could get something completely worse. 

If I'm an NFL GM I'm not sold on Clowney period. If I'm the Jags GM and you have to sell me a QB or Clowney I'm going with the safest QB pick, which IMO is Teddy. The only question about Bridgewater so far is that he's not thick for an NFL QB, that's pretty much it.

Quote:Thing is, since moving the Carolina about six years ago now I have become a fan of the local team here as well. Hardy said he wanted to stay there, originally. He then also stated he would give a small hometown discount since he has played four years in one uniform. Just shortly after that he said he would be open to a franchise tag, paying him over 12 million and making the Panthers have 10 million left to sign 21 other players. That also means putting off Cam's extension until next year and be in a similar situation as with Hardy, but only more expensive. And then the year after they will do the same with Luke. Ginn got 750k last season. They love him and he outproduces his salary so I expect a 1.5-2 million dollar contract for him. That means 8 million for 20 players. Captain Munnerlyn and Mitchel and Mikkel are going to get a bump up in money was well due to performance. That means even less money to go around. 

Lastly, the Krakens most recent comments, which he has repeated every interview since the Saints game has been " I will go where the money is ".

Fair enough, I think Gettleman, their GM, will make the decision that is best long term for the Panthers, which might be letting him go. It's honestly sickening what they're paying Stewart, and have to until 2016 at this rate.