Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sign Greg Hardy and draft Clowney.

Quote:Why do you think that tho?

He fell in love a few years ago and won't let it go.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Top 10 defense in 2011.  Best RB in the league in 2011.  Bad season in 2011.  

Get. The. Quarterback

Gene's Myth

Kaepernick, Brady, Manning, Wilson are the 4 QBs left. Doesn't matter how you get that franchise QB but you NEED a franchise QB in today's NFL. Denver's defense sucks. Patriots defense is average but they are in the AFC championship game.

SF and Sea have the best 2 defenses in the league and their QBs are clutch. You can build a team in a variety of ways but in the end, it will always come down to the QB.

I don't care if the QB is drafted with our first rounder or 3rd rounder or 6th rounder, I just want a franchise QB.

i'm not sold on clowney.  i'm not sold on manziel either.  i'll let the GM make the best available decision.

it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we got the kraken (love his personality and think it would be awesome to see in bradley's d) and watkins (trade down).  let the new rookies and sophmores grow into the system.  then pick our franchise QB next year.

Quote:Finally have a real pass rush and not settle for this really weak QB draft class.

You do realize this is one of the strongest and deepest draft classes in a long time, right?

Quote:Getting Hardy or Orakpo and drafting Clowney is an absolute dream sequence for the Jags.

The best part is that there's a realistic possibility it could play out that way.

It would instantly make the Jaguars potentially the most deadly pass rushing team in the AFC.

Why not sign Hardy AND Orakpo and still take our QB in the first? I'd rather go that route

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Why not sign Hardy AND Orakpo and still take our QB in the first? I'd rather go that route
So spend about $120 million on 2 players that play the same position?

Sounds legit...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

Quote:Why not sign Hardy AND Orakpo and still take our QB in the first? I'd rather go that route

If I were the GM, I would shy away from signing high priced free agents to record-breaking deals.   That is the road to ruin.   These guys get huge contracts and the next year they put up half the numbers they put up in their contract year. 

I would prefer to use free agency to sign players to fill holes in non-premium positions like Center or Offensive Guard or Linebacker.  I would use the draft to acquire a DE and/or a QB.

That's a much more sustainable way to build a roster. 

So put me down as a "no" to signing Greg Hardy.   I don't want to outbid 31 other teams. 

And as far as Clowney goes, there may be some risk there, but even if he is drafted 3rd overall,  he would be paid about one third of what we would have to pay Greg Hardy. 

Quote:So spend about $120 million on 2 players that play the same position?

Sounds legit...
It wouldn't cost 120 million for the two of them.

Quote:You do realize this is one of the strongest and deepest draft classes in a long time, right?
We hear that just about every year regarding QBs, yet it never works out that way.

Quote:Kaepernick, Brady, Manning, Wilson are the 4 QBs left.

What is really interesting is that none of those teams acquired their quarterback with a first round draft pick.   

Quote:If I were the GM, I would shy away from signing high priced free agents to record-breaking deals.   That is the road to ruin.   These guys get huge contracts and the next year they put up half the numbers they put up in their contract year. 

I would prefer to use free agency to sign players to fill holes in non-premium positions like Center or Offensive Guard or Linebacker.  I would use the draft to acquire a DE and/or a QB.

So put me down as a "no" to signing Greg Hardy.   I don't want to outbid 31 other teams. 

And as far as Clowney goes, there may be some risk there, but even if he is drafted 3rd overall,  he would be paid about one third of what we would have to pay Greg Hardy. 

That's fair. And if it cost us Gene Smith type of FA money to get either then I wouldn't want them at that point. Unfortunately, it looks like we'd have to if we did make a push for them.

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:It wouldn't cost 120 million for the two of them.
You're correct.

I was being generous.

It would be closer to $150 million.
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

Quote:If I were the GM, I would shy away from signing high priced free agents to record-breaking deals.   That is the road to ruin.   These guys get huge contracts and the next year they put up half the numbers they put up in their contract year. 

It wouldn't be outbidding 31 other teams. Only about 15 teams can afford Hardy and that would be if they were choosing to sign him and spend pennies on anything else left. Also note that Bennett from Seattle will get a lot of interest as he wil be cheaper and that will limit the teams looking at Hardy even more, and likely drive down his price. There are about 5-6 teams that realistically could sign him. Hardy isn't a 28 year old DE, or a 32 year old DE. He is 25 and coming off two 10+ sack seasons while also being a league leader in QB pressures. He has the personality and motor to bring it every snap. He is about as close to a safe pick as you can get and having a guy like that around Clowney every day would likely do wonders. 

The Jags are listed as one of the teams interested in an offensive lineman, [/url]

Which they believe would cost 35 million for 6 years. 

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1920727-2014-nfl-free-agency-estimating-price-tags-for-top-free-agents/page/4]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1920727-2014-nfl-free-agency-estimating-price-tags-for-top-free-agents/page/4

They have Hardy listed as 5 years for 50 million. That is hardly breaking the bank.

Bennett is 28 already and has yet to have a single 10 sack season.

To be fair, this year Hardy got his sacks in bunches, abusing the same linemen repeatedly. Of course, this is nitpicking as the dude brought pressure every game. Sacks are just evidence of the pressure the d line brings. It would be expensive, but it would make sense for us to make a run at him.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Why do you think that tho? 

Because I like the way he played QB in college. His game in college was the kind of game that succeeds in the NFL. Lots of intermediate yardage completions that lead to high YPA, and a strong arm that was also accurate. He made all the throws and beat good coverage with perfect ball placement. Used to playing tough defenses. No, he wasn't perfect as his occasional brain fart would result in the occasional bad decision, but THAT CAN be coached. The God given talent that Mallett has CANNOT be. Mallett is a gunslinger, not a game manager. I want that on our team. I know many of you would rather have the "safe" "play not to lose" game manager, but not me. None of those "game managers" remain in the playoffs, That type can only beat the bad teams, but when the time comes where those QB are asked to win a game by putting their team on their backs and winning it, game managers cannot.  

Quote:Did you see him play this preseason ? At all ? He still have a terrible footwork and lazy mechanics.

Not sure the footwork and mechanics claim is accurate. I do know he didn't put up great numbers in the Pats preseason, but none of their QB looked all that impressive in the preseason. They have few really good WR weapons. It took Brady practically half the year just to start to gel with some of the passing weapons he has, so not sure why one would expect Mallett to perform miracles in same situation. 

Quote:LOL! The jags wouldn't need to offer anything near a third.

Belichick would have him on the first bus out of new england for a conditional 7th.

trollolin

Quote:You really must not have watched Mallett these last couple preseasons. He has made literally zero progress in his development, and honestly he looks like he has regressed. It's time to let that ship sail bud, it's over.

see above

Quote:What is really interesting is that none of those teams acquired their quarterback with a first round draft pick.   

Deceiving since Manning really is a special case. Qb of his ability usually aren't got via FA. I also think some of the bloom is off the rose with Wilson. 

Quote:To be fair, this year Hardy got his sacks in bunches, abusing the same linemen repeatedly. Of course, this is nitpicking as the dude brought pressure every game. Sacks are just evidence of the pressure the d line brings. It would be expensive, but it would make sense for us to make a run at him.
While he might be abusing the same linemen over and over, if you watch all of his 15 sacks this season, they came from all different places on the line. Regardless, he continues to be a top pressures guy in this league, which can cause poor throws and bad reads. Still worth it. Again, to the guy claiming it would cost 150 million for the two.... it would be much lower than that. Don't just throw random numbers out there.