Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Vikings hire Mike Zimmer as HC

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/vikings-h...head-coach

Thoughts?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:http://m.nbcsports.com/content/vikings-h...head-coach

Thoughts?

I liked him when he was at Dallas, and his defenses have done pretty well in Cincy.

He was a guy I wanted here. 

I believe the Vikings will be happy with the hire.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

While there's always uncertainty regarding coaching hirings,  on the surface this looks like a very good decision for the Vikings.  Mike Zimmer has been a highly successful Defensive Coordinator and has worked under Bill Parcells and Marvin Lewis.   Zimmer has aided greatly in the development of DE's Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap,  both highly talented players but lasted longer in their respective drafts because their college production didn't come close to matching their abilties.     Zimmer isn't afraid to tell people what's on his mind,  even if his opinion isn't popular.   Yet,  players respond to him.

Ultimately though,  Mike Zimmer's chances are sustained success in Minnesota depend greatly on G.M. Rick Spielman finding a good solution at QB.   Most likely,  the Vikings QB of the future isn't currently on their roster.

On a related note,  the Vikings have interest in Norv Turner as their new Offensive Coordinator.   There also have been rumors that Zimmer would bring former Vikings, Dolphins, and Lions Offensive Coordinator/  Rams HC Scott Linehan back to the Twin Cities as his O/C.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...rv-turner/

Quote:While there's always uncertainty regarding coaching hirings,  on the surface this looks like a very good decision for the Vikings.  Mike Zimmer has been a highly successful Defensive Coordinator and has worked under Bill Parcells and Marvin Lewis.   Zimmer has aided greatly in the development of DE's Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap,  both highly talented players but lasted longer in their respective drafts because their college production didn't come close to matching their abilties.     Zimmer isn't afraid to tell people what's on his mind,  even if his opinion isn't popular.   Yet,  players respond to him.

Ultimately though,  Mike Zimmer's chances are sustained success in Minnesota depend greatly on G.M. Rick Spielman finding a good solution at QB.   Most likely,  the Vikings QB of the future isn't currently on their roster.

On a related note,  the Vikings have interest in Norv Turner as their new Offensive Coordinator.   There also have been rumors that Zimmer would bring former Vikings, Dolphins, and Lions Offensive Coordinator/  Rams HC Scott Linehan back to the Twin Cities as his O/C.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...rv-turner/

Those would be good OC choices.

You are absolutely right, D6.  Ultimately, Zimmer's success with the Vikings is directly tied to QB.

But I think if Zimmer can get a decent to good  QB-not necesssarily elite but someone who won't kill them-he can take the team to a playoff berth.

Mildly surprising, they were reporting that Todd Bowles was very close to getting the gig a few days ago .

Quote:Those would be good OC choices.

You are absolutely right, D6.  Ultimately, Zimmer's success with the Vikings is directly tied to QB.

But I think if Zimmer can get a decent to good  QB-not necesssarily elite but someone who won't kill them-he can take the team to a playoff berth.

Agreed,  Bullseye.

Christian Ponder played well enough in the final 4 games of the 2012 season that enabled the Vikings to reach the playoffs on the strength of Adrian Peterson and their Defense.    If Zimmer can get the Vikings Defense back to at least their 2012 level,   even average QB might be enough to get the Vikings back to the playoffs.  

Yet,  for the Vikings to be a serious Super Bowl contender,  they are going to need consistently better QB play than they have received since following Brett Favre's first season for the Vikings.   The Vikings QB play the last 4 seasons has contributed greatly to the Vikings finishing in last place in the NFC North 3 out of the last 4 seasons.   

Looks like a mass exodus from the lowly Bengals. 

Live long and prosper \\// [Image: 660e5a470556a0f21a991347940d77c860f8c9a5.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 05:02 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Looks like a mass exodus from the lowly Bengals.

It's definitely rare to lose both offensive and defensive coordinators in the same offseason.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Looks like a mass exodus from the lowly Bengals.

Lowly?

Vikings actually had Mike Mularkey as a OC candidate. 

Quote:Lowly?

Uh. Yeah? You don't think so? 

Live long and prosper \\// [Image: 660e5a470556a0f21a991347940d77c860f8c9a5.jpg]

Quote:Vikings actually had Mike Mularkey as a OC candidate. 

Mike Mularkey better just settle for a position coach hiring if he can get it. 

Quote:Vikings actually had Mike Mularkey as a OC candidate. 
Nah, I think Cleveland's got him on speed dial... I bet he would take a partially guaranteed contract like Rex.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Uh. Yeah? You don't think so? 
They have won 21 games over the last 2 seasons including an 11 win 2013 with a division title.  If that's lowly, I'll take it for my team.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:They have won 21 games over the last 2 seasons including an 11 win 2013 with a division title.  If that's lowly, I'll take it for my team.

I was talking more about the franchise as a whole...not just their recent success. Even with that success, they haven't even won a playoff game. They have a lot of talent, but for a few possible reasons they can not get over the hump of even one playoff game. Could they be stuck in a situation where they have a QB who isn't bad enough to move on from, but possibly not good enough to get the job done when it counts? Is Marvin Lewis the wrong coach for this team? What are they going to look like without the OC and DC who no doubt contributed heavily to their recent success..?

Hey, you are right in that I would take that over the Jags history of the last decade. Still...

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2014, 02:06 AM by D6.)

It looks like Dolphins LB coach George Edwards is going to be the new Vikings Defensive Coordinator:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ordinator/

Quote:I was talking more about the franchise as a whole...not just their recent success. Even with that success, they haven't even won a playoff game. They have a lot of talent, but for a few possible reasons they can not get over the hump of even one playoff game. Could they be stuck in a situation where they have a QB who isn't bad enough to move on from, but possibly not good enough to get the job done when it counts? Is Marvin Lewis the wrong coach for this team? What are they going to look like without the OC and DC who no doubt contributed heavily to their recent success..?

Hey, you are right in that I would take that over the Jags history of the last decade. Still...

combo of both...Lewis is 0-5 in the playoff as HC and Andy Dalton is 0-3

Quote:They have won 21 games over the last 2 seasons including an 11 win 2013 with a division title.  If that's lowly, I'll take it for my team.

My point exactly.

Quote:I was talking more about the franchise as a whole...not just their recent success. Even with that success, they haven't even won a playoff game. They have a lot of talent, but for a few possible reasons they can not get over the hump of even one playoff game. Could they be stuck in a situation where they have a QB who isn't bad enough to move on from, but possibly not good enough to get the job done when it counts? Is Marvin Lewis the wrong coach for this team? What are they going to look like without the OC and DC who no doubt contributed heavily to their recent success..?

Well, if you are going to broaden the perspective, they are lowly in that at one point, they had a long stretch of consecutive losing seasons.  However, you also have to factor in the two Super Bowl apearances into the mix.

Right now, we are one of a small handful of teams (Houston, Detroit and Cleveland are the others) that have never been to a Super Bowl. 

Quote: Well, if you are going to broaden the perspective, they are lowly in that at one point, they had a long stretch of consecutive losing seasons.  However, you also have to factor in the two Super Bowl apearances into the mix.

Right now, we are one of a small handful of teams (Houston, Detroit and Cleveland are the others) that have never been to a Super Bowl. 

Yes, but the Jags and Texans have only been around for a few years.  Keep in mind that several teams haven't been to a Super Bowl since Jacksonville played it's inaugural season. 

Cleveland and Detroit are the ONLY TWO other teams that haven't made it.

How long it took each team to reach a Super Bowl from their start: (Only counting the Super Bowl Era)

Detroit Lions: 48th+ season

Cleveland Browns: 45th+ season

Arizona Cardinals: 43rd season

New Orleans Saints: 40th season

Tennessee Titans: 34th season

Atlanta Falcons: 33rd season

Seattle Seahawks: 30th season

San Diego Chargers: 29th season

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 27th season

Buffalo Bills: 25th season

New York Giants: 21st season

Chicago Bears: 20th season

New England Patriots: 20th season

Jacksonville Jaguars: 19th+ season

San Francisco 49ers: 16th season

Philadelphia Eagles: 15th season

St. Louis Rams: 14th season

Cincinnati Bengals: 14th season

Houston Texans: 12th+ season

Denver Broncos: 12th season

Pittsburgh Steelers: 9th season

Carolina Panthers: 9th season

Washington Redskins: 7th season

Miami Dolphins: 6th season

Baltimore Ravens: 5th season

Dallas Cowboys: 5th season

Minnesota Vikings: 4th season

New York Jets: 3rd season

Indianapolis Colts: 3rd season

Oakland Raiders: 2nd season

Kansas City Chiefs: 1st season

Green Bay Packers: 1st season

The average is 16 seasons.  But the early winners set off the average a bit.  Remove the first three super bowls, and you get an average of 19 seasons.  Which sadly we can't beat -- but there are still teams we can make a super bowl earlier than.  

Several teams however still haven't won one.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke.