Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Vikings hire Mike Zimmer as HC

Quote:Yes, but the Jags and Texans have only been around for a few years.  Keep in mind that several teams haven't been to a Super Bowl since Jacksonville played it's inaugural season. 

Cleveland and Detroit are the ONLY TWO other teams that haven't made it.

How long it took each team to reach a Super Bowl from their start: (Only counting the Super Bowl Era)

Detroit Lions: 48th+ season

Cleveland Browns: 45th+ season

Arizona Cardinals: 43rd season

New Orleans Saints: 40th season

Tennessee Titans: 34th season

Atlanta Falcons: 33rd season

Seattle Seahawks: 30th season

San Diego Chargers: 29th season

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 27th season

Buffalo Bills: 25th season

New York Giants: 21st season

Chicago Bears: 20th season

New England Patriots: 20th season

Jacksonville Jaguars: 19th+ season

San Francisco 49ers: 16th season

Philadelphia Eagles: 15th season

St. Louis Rams: 14th season

Cincinnati Bengals: 14th season

Houston Texans: 12th+ season

Denver Broncos: 12th season

Pittsburgh Steelers: 9th season

Carolina Panthers: 9th season

Washington Redskins: 7th season

Miami Dolphins: 6th season

Baltimore Ravens: 5th season

Dallas Cowboys: 5th season

Minnesota Vikings: 4th season

New York Jets: 3rd season

Indianapolis Colts: 3rd season

Oakland Raiders: 2nd season

Kansas City Chiefs: 1st season

Green Bay Packers: 1st season

The average is 16 seasons.  But the early winners set off the average a bit.  Remove the first three super bowls, and you get an average of 19 seasons.  Which sadly we can't beat -- but there are still teams we can make a super bowl earlier than.  

Several teams however still haven't won one.  

Well, I see your point and agree to an extent, but that's not necessarily an accurate gauge, either.

The NFL existed before the Super Bowl, and teams were competing/not competing for championships prior to the 1966 season.

If you factor THAT into the equation, Detroit and Cleveland have been to championship games-the then equivalent to the Super Bowl.

If you factor in only Super Bowl appearances but not from the start of Super Bowls (in other words, if you add in years pre Super Bowl), that pushes the average up.

The thing is, there have been teams that have least competed in Super Bowls prior to their 19th year of existence.  Even Carolina-who came into the league the same year we did-has been to a Super Bowl (in one of the lowest points of my life as a Jaguars fan).  Even using your standard of measure, the "lowly" Bengals made it to a Super Bowl before we did...and they are ahead of our pace.

Bottom line is we have no room to talk about anyone being lowly right now...and we need some Super Bowl trophies badly.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The current Cleveland Browns are an expansion team.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Well, I see your point and agree to an extent, but that's not necessarily an accurate gauge, either.

The NFL existed before the Super Bowl, and teams were competing/not competing for championships prior to the 1966 season.

If you factor THAT into the equation, Detroit and Cleveland have been to championship games-the then equivalent to the Super Bowl.

If you factor in only Super Bowl appearances but not from the start of Super Bowls (in other words, if you add in years pre Super Bowl), that pushes the average up.

The thing is, there have been teams that have least competed in Super Bowls prior to their 19th year of existence.  Even Carolina-who came into the league the same year we did-has been to a Super Bowl (in one of the lowest points of my life as a Jaguars fan).  Even using your standard of measure, the "lowly" Bengals made it to a Super Bowl before we did...and they are ahead of our pace.

Bottom line is we have no room to talk about anyone being lowly right now...and we need some Super Bowl trophies badly.

Word, Bullseye. :thumbsup: 

I was for wed make it before carolina...

I think the Vikings won the Coaches Hiring Bowl with the addition of Mike Zimmer and Nov Turner.  The problem is for them to find a QB, and with their selection at #8, I'm not sure what they can do for the position.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think the Vikings won the Coaches Hiring Bowl with the addition of Mike Zimmer and Nov Turner.  The problem is for them to find a QB, and with their selection at #8, I'm not sure what they can do for the position.

If the Jags could sucker Minnesota into a sweetheart trade, including future first rounders, I'd do it. 

I agree with Shangster.  Thus far, I like what Minnesota has done more than any other team with a HC opening.  Norv will definitely find creative ways to use Cordarrelle (assuming they find a respectable QB).  Zimmer is overdue for a shot at a HC position to show what he can do.  They could get a bounce defensively if Sharif comes back 100% from his injury. 

Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:I agree with Shangster.  Thus far, I like what Minnesota has done more than any other team with a HC opening.  Norv will definitely find creative ways to use Cordarrelle (assuming they find a respectable QB).  Zimmer is overdue for a shot at a HC position to show what he can do.  They could get a bounce defensively if Sharif comes back 100% from his injury. 

I like Turner as a coach, but when have you ever seen a Norv Turner offense and thought to yourself "Wow! What a creative and innovative offense they have come up with!"?

Not saying that he isn't a good coach, but his teams are pretty much straightforward from my perspective.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!