Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Isn't it funny how this stuff always seems to "fall into place" for the NFL's "preferred" teams

Quote:Thank you for the honesty/ integrity.

pirk has resorted to flat out bold faced lying now.

NYC said he DOES recall you saying that.

What is up with all of this preferred teams and set deck nonsense?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:NYC said he DOES recall you saying that.

NYC said he DOES remember me saying what --I-- claimed I did, i.e. Norv Turner might be a bad head coach but I've always liked him as an Offensive Coordinator. 

Quote:NYC said he DOES remember me saying what --I-- claimed I did, i.e. Norv Turner might be a bad head coach but I've always liked him as an Offensive Coordinator.

Ah gotcha, read it wrong. My main point of posting was the 2nd line.

Quote:Ah gotcha, read it wrong. My main point of posting was the 2nd line.

It just seems like lately, the teams that have been consistently good seem to catch the breaks (like here with Turner just happening to be available for Baltimore, even though Caldwell did nothing this year to earn a promotion to HC again,,,,) The good teams like Indy, Balt, etc just seem to stay good; and the bad teams like Jax & Detroit seem to stay bad, Detroit should have been able to get a great head coach this offseason, but they wind up with Caldwell. Baltimore should have been stuck with Caldwell or had to scramble to find a decent replacement but Turner falls into their laps. They'll probably be right back on top next year in their division now. 

Quote:It just seems like lately, the teams that have been consistently good seem to catch the breaks 
I really think that it's just easier for teams with more talent on their rosters to attract certain coaches or free agents and sometimes it's simply a matter of the GM having a prior relationship or connection to the new hire.  I think think you are reading into it too far.  

(BTW Turner is reportedly interviewing with the Ravens and the Vikings - not sure if both were mentioned)

Quote:I really think that it's just easier for teams with more talent on their rosters to attract certain coaches or free agents and sometimes it's simply a matter of the GM having a prior relationship or connection to the new hire.  I think think you are reading into it too far.  

(BTW Turner is reportedly interviewing with the Ravens and the Vikings - not sure if both were mentioned)

Yeah, I just read about the Vikings interview...the way they were talking yesterday, Turner seemed like a lock for Baltimore.....I'd rather he go to the NFC. Kyle Shanahan is also interviewing with Baltimore for its OC opening. 

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 06:49 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:It just seems like lately, the teams that have been consistently good seem to catch the breaks (like here with Turner just happening to be available for Baltimore, even though Caldwell did nothing this year to earn a promotion to HC again,,,,) The good teams like Indy, Balt, etc just seem to stay good; and the bad teams like Jax & Detroit seem to stay bad, Detroit should have been able to get a great head coach this offseason, but they wind up with Caldwell. Baltimore should have been stuck with Caldwell or had to scramble to find a decent replacement but Turner falls into their laps. They'll probably be right back on top next year in their division now. 

Or it could be that the teams who are consistently good are that way because the owner makes good hiring decisions.  And not all bad teams stay bad.  Indy wasn't a good team until they were.  Seattle wasn't a good team until they were.  9ers were horrible for a long time.  New England wasn't good until B&B.  You don't seem to go back very far in this conspiracy theory of yours.  

I think Khan deserves to be judged over the next 3 to 5 years.  This isn't Weavers team.  Khan is making his own decisions and Caldwell is his GM.  We will see how that turns out.  Our history is still being written under a new owner.  But lets please separate Weaver Jags and Khan Jags.  And again, he does deserve time to build a team that was almost destroyed by a previous GM.

[Image: mantis.jpg]

The Baltimore Ravens are the 21st biggest market in the NFL. Why would a malevolent figure pulling the strings to ensure certain teams are successful give a flying rat's bunghole about the Baltimore freaking Ravens?

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 07:36 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:[Image: mantis.jpg]

The Baltimore Ravens are the 21st biggest market in the NFL. Why would a malevolent figure pulling the strings to ensure certain teams are successful give a flying rat's bunghole about the Baltimore freaking Ravens?

So, the Ravens haven't been one of the "marquee" teams over the past 14 years or so?....I'd say they have been. 

Market size means nothing, once the "popularity" gets built enough.,,,,,look at examples like the Steelers and Packers. 

Market size is only a detriment to relatively unpopular NFL teams. 

Quote:See I think you have a fundamental missunderstanding of our position as a 'non-preferred' team. The narrative for us is like this: We could not hire Kubiak as an offensive coordinator because that would be a preferred hiring, clearly we were in the 'non-preferred' teir and therefore have no access to the preferred candidates. See? Simple. We can't hire a candidate and become preferred, Khan has to buy the preferred pass, and then we might be able to get a preferred level candidate.

It must be in that order: Pass, then candidate. Not the other way around.
I'm so naive.

I had no idea the NFL was run like an airline or golf club.

Quote:I'm so naive.

I had no idea the NFL was run like an airline or golf club.

its not...its more like the old WWF,,,,,,you know Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan and stuff... :whistling: 

Quote:It just seems like lately, the teams that have been consistently good seem to catch the breaks (like here with Turner just happening to be available for Baltimore, even though Caldwell did nothing this year to earn a promotion to HC again,,,,) The good teams like Indy, Balt, etc just seem to stay good; and the bad teams like Jax & Detroit seem to stay bad, Detroit should have been able to get a great head coach this offseason, but they wind up with Caldwell. Baltimore should have been stuck with Caldwell or had to scramble to find a decent replacement but Turner falls into their laps. They'll probably be right back on top next year in their division now.

Lions G.M. Martin Mayhew reached out to Tony Dungy to see if he wanted to become the Lions Head Coach.   Once Dungy said he wasn't interested to get back into coaching,   the Lions coaching search path led to a coach with many similarities to Dungy.    With Dungy highly recommending Caldwell to both Mayhew and Bill Ford Jr.  The bottom line is based on the criteria the Lions brass was looking for in a Head Coach,  Jim Caldwell and Ken Whisenhunt were the finalists.  

Being that Jim Caldwell seems like the better fit to work with the roster Martin Mayhew put together and very possibly Mayhew himself,   Whisenhunt might have done the Lions a favor by taking the better contract offer that Tennessee made to him.    The bottom line out of all of this is if Jim Caldwell doesn't work out for the Lions,  it's the organizations fault,  not the fault of anyone else.  

As for what occurred in Baltimore,  promoting Jim Caldwell to Offensive Coordinator in Dec. 2012 was the turning point in the Ravens getting back on track that season.   The end result was a Super Bowl win.    With everything that transpired with the Ravens personnel on Offense in 2013,  expecting much better results wasn't realistic.  

Quote:its not...its more like the old WWF,,,,,,you know Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan and stuff... :whistling:

Hey now Vince and Hulk are still there, it's back to the old days... In the future!!
Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

The Ravens interviewed Kyle Shanahan for their Offensive Coordinator opening today.  With the excellent track record of Ozzie Newsome and John Harbaugh,  there's a good chance they will make a good choice for the position that fits with what they are looking for:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ordinator/

Quote:NYC said he DOES recall you saying that.

More superstition nonsense.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2014, 01:03 PM by Mr Sensible.)

Quote:So, the Ravens haven't been one of the "marquee" teams over the past 14 years or so?....I'd say they have been. 

Market size means nothing, once the "popularity" gets built enough.,,,,,look at examples like the Steelers and Packers. 

Market size is only a detriment to relatively unpopular NFL teams. 

You need to stop writing your sheer lunacy for a second and use whatever is inside your skull for a few moments to ask 'why' and actually think about what you are saying.

Baltimore is a relatively small NFL town, its not a wealthy place, its not exotic or famous, its not a tourist destination or a place with a rich history and the best thing about it is a TV show about drugs. The Ravens themselves are a fairly new franchise, they have no long and glorious history, they are based within spitting distance of several big time heritage teams. If the Ravens have been pretty good over the last 14 years, its because they earned it.

If someone was pulling strings behind the scenes to make sure certain teams get preferential treatment, why on gods green earth would anyone select the Baltimore freaking Ravens as such a franchise?

Edit.

Also if you think its fugazi, why watch?

...And Norv Turner just signed with the Vikings.  Guess they're the preferred purple team.

I think some teams may get better treatment, but I think that's mostly the Patriots and whatever team Manning is on.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:You need to stop writing your sheer lunacy for a second and use whatever is inside your skull for a few moments to ask 'why' and actually think about what you are saying.

Baltimore is a relatively small NFL town, its not a wealthy place, its not exotic or famous, its not a tourist destination or a place with a rich history and the best thing about it is a TV show about drugs. The Ravens themselves are a fairly new franchise, they have no long and glorious history, they are based within spitting distance of several big time heritage teams. If the Ravens have been pretty good over the last 14 years, its because they earned it.

If someone was pulling strings behind the scenes to make sure certain teams get preferential treatment, why on gods green earth would anyone select the Baltimore freaking Ravens as such a franchise?

Edit.

Also if you think its fugazi, why watch?

I could see the NFL wanting Baltimore to do well as a payback of stripping them of the Colts in 1983 to begin with. 

Quote:...And Norv Turner just signed with the Vikings.  Guess they're the preferred purple team.

I think some teams may get better treatment, but I think that's mostly the Patriots and whatever team Manning is on.  

Well it'd be nice if that was us for awhile....although I doubt it will ever happen. Not with this current leaguethink. 

Quote:I could see the NFL wanting Baltimore to do well as a payback of stripping them of the Colts in 1983 to begin with. 

Hahaha, so this malevolent puppeteer who is pulling all these string also has a sense of justice and fair play?

Do you read the crap you write before you post it?