Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Seahawks Fullback is Deaf

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/deaf-sea...ommercial/

Just thought that was cool. Always appreciate the overcomers.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I mentioned this in a thread about the Saints/Seahawks game. It is awesome that he can live his dream.

I was surprised when I watched the video about him on NFL.com he wears BTE (behind the ear) hearing aids instead of  the little ITC (in the canal) style. I thought in very wet Seattle, he would want the kind that is not visible through the ear holes in his helmet.

Derrick Coleman gained a fan when I finished reading this article about him:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...impairment

For the record, Denver had a completely deaf defensive end for two seasons, but Coleman is the first NFL player who was born legally deaf.

As a hearing aid wearer myself I totally understand how hard oral communication is and know what can go wrong with them. I would not be surprised if team meetings are the hardest part of his job.

So when are we going to see this commercial?

What?

Fun Fact: The huddle as we know it today was invented by a deaf Quarterback at Gallaudet university.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:What?

You read that right. Players are not allowed to move before the ball is snapped anyway so it prevents him from moving early. The NFL's first deaf player, Kenny Walker, said through an interpreter he never jumped offsides. It does not take rocket science to understand why. Because Derrick Coleman only knows it is time to move by looking at the ball he can't jump early either. So it's not bad to be the only deaf player on a football team.

Did you know the huddle originated as a way of preventing the defense from seeing what the quarterback for a deaf school was signing? That "get in the huddle" sign you see quarterbacks do after a play is the sign for football because of that. (Well, actually the sign is interlocking your fingers, not putting the tips together.)

Quote:Fun Fact: The huddle as we know it today was invented by a deaf quarterback at Gallaudet University.  

For those who don't know, Galludet University is the only college for deaf people in America.

Another fun fact: To start and end plays at deaf schools, a huge drum is hit that is so loud it vibrates.

Did anybody else see the commercial? In it he said, "Everybody gave up on me."

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 03:24 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Woosh @ the cat lady. 

Quote:What?
You're freakin hilarious.

Quote:Woosh @ the cat lady. 

What is the whoosh for? This is an important topic to me because I was born with the type of hearing loss usually associated with aging and my mom would qualify for a hearing dog if she wanted one.

Quote:For those who don't know, Galludet University is the only college for deaf people in America.

Another fun fact: To start and end plays at deaf schools, a huge drum is hit that is so loud it vibrates.
I was told decades ago, when we use to play against Florida D&B, that the drum was for the cheerleaders.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2014, 07:09 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:What is the whoosh for? This is an important topic to me because I was born with the type of hearing loss usually associated with aging and my mom would qualify for a hearing dog if she wanted one.

It was just silly slapstick humor. A play on words.  

Quote:I was told decades ago, when we use to play against Florida D&B, that the drum was for the cheerleaders.

Whoever told you that was wrong.

Who plays against the Florida D and B?

I hope people who watch the Duracell commercial understand Derrick Coleman was speaking for millions of deaf people and very lucky to get a job because of his disability. I was unable to do the kind of work I wanted to most of my life because of my hearing loss, so it means a lot to me that he can live his dream of playing in the NFL.

You have to really be encouraged by people like that. Way to go Derrick Armstrong! Go for your dreams my friend!

Quote:You have to really be encouraged by people like that. Way to go Derrick Armstrong! Go for your dreams my friend!

Coleman, not Armstrong.

I love it. You would think he can't do the job because of the whistles and his position behind the quarterback. He is showing us everyone who gave up on him made a big mistake.

I hope many other deaf people are encouraged by the Duracell commercial no matter what they want to do. It does not help me get a better job because my dream was to work at home on the computer, which I am doing, and be my own boss. But for the millions of disabled Americans who are not so lucky, it is very encouraging to have a deaf NFL player.

Quote:Whoever told you that was wrong.

Who plays against the Florida D and B?
They use to be in the same conference with Trinity, University, Baldwin, St. Joseph, and Episcopal I think it was. We, Trinity, played them every year until we moved up to what was 2A back then. The last year we played them 87 they had 2 guys go to division 1 schools on FB scholarships. 

Quote:They use to be in the same conference with Trinity, University, Baldwin, St. Joseph, and Episcopal I think it was. We, Trinity, played them every year until we moved up to what was 2A back then. The last year we played them, 1987, they had 2 guys go to division 1 schools on FB scholarships. 

That was awesome. I hope other FSDB players went to D1 schools.

When Ohio State played in the Alamo Bowl, Oklahoma State had a deaf player on defense.

You know what's funny about this; whenever I coach Defense, specifically the linemen, I tell them to "go deaf" so that they aren't fooled by the snap count. A lot of the player's say that little mental trick really works for them.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!