Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Seahawks Fullback is Deaf

Quote:You know what's funny about this; whenever I coach defense, specifically the linemen, I tell them to "go deaf" so that they aren't fooled by the snap count. A lot of the players say that little mental trick really works for them.

How can they do that without wearing earplugs?

Back on topic, I will look for the Duracell commercial and Derrick Coleman. If he plays, I hope Pam Oliver talks about him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Here is a video I found on the Seahawks website, which of course (thankfully for me) is closed captioned:

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/vi...0f9db371d5

Quote:How can they do that without wearing earplugs?

Back on topic, I will look for the Duracell commercial and Derrick Coleman. If he plays, I hope Pam Oliver talks about him.

It's not that they actually go deaf, but they pretend at it. Remember, these are children and they are used to playing and imagining different aspects about themselves. When I teach this, I start by asking how the Offense tries to trick them with the snap count. After a while, they see that I am talking about the QB "talking". Then I ask what kind of people does talking not affect? The answer is deaf people. And outside of hearing aids, deaf people need to see things in order to react. 

So I tell them since we are going to be playing Defense, we can't react to what we hear, but rather to what we see. So we "go deaf" when the QB starts "talking" or going through his cadence. It's a mental trick that the players do with their minds, not their ears.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I just watched the whole press conference. Derrick Coleman said he has an extra pair of hearing aids and had to use them during the Saints game last week.

Quote:How can they do that without wearing earplugs?

It's actually not that difficult.  Back in high school my ASL class had a "Deaf day" where students had to be Deaf for a day.  Meaning that we couldn't communicate by talking (We still had to listen to our teachers obviously).  It was a very interesting experience. I'm glad I took part in it.  Even if some students were bullies.  It was certainly much easier with the teachers who knew ASL.

In ASL class we weren't allowed to speak at all (though most people did anyway.  I never did though.)  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:So when are we going to see this commercial?

You just did.

"I've been deaf since I was three, so I didn't listen to them."

Good line.   :thumbsup:

Quote:You just did.

No I just saw the press conference, not the commercial.

I meant when will it be on TV?

Link to the PC video and article on Seahawks.com:

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/ar...db4ea7c2a8

You know what is pathetic?

Seahawks.com has an article and a video about Derrick Coleman overcoming a disability to live his dream, but the team message board does not have a single thread on the topic. Why aren't his own fans interested?

I looked at the depth chart. He is the backup to Michael Robinson.

Quote:You know what is pathetic?

Seahawks.com has an article and a video about Derrick Coleman overcoming a disability to live his dream, but the team message board does not have a single thread on the topic. Why aren't his own fans interested?

I looked at the depth chart. He is the backup to Michael Robinson.

They have probably had a topic about him in the past.  For a Seahawk fan, its probably the norm now.

Quote:They have probably had a topic about him in the past. For a Seahawk fan, it's probably the norm now.

I was just thinking now is when they are writing and talking about him on their official website, so this would be the most logical time to have a thread on that board. I went back five pages.

It is pretty impressive that Pete Carroll said it is not an issue and, even more so, Derrick Coleman never said, "What?" during his PC.

I did a web search for Derrick Coleman. Nobody says what the "genetic, incurable" cause of hearing loss is or why the problem did not show up until age three, but the articles do say he only hears the deepest pitch sounds. I can't imagine being that deaf.

Watch Russell Wilson before the snap. If he turns around to look directly at Coleman, he is changing the play at the LOS.

I went to the Hearing Loss Association of America's message board to see if other hearing aid users are talking about Derrick Coleman. I could not find any threads so of course I registered with the name Football Huddles and posted a video link from Seahawks.net, hoping not all of the replies would be from football fans. Here it is:

http://www.myhearingloss.org/forum/regis...027s13k302

I was disappointed the Seahawks took Coleman off the homepage just hours after I found him there, forcing me to scroll down and click on the video link.