Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wow D6, the Lions missed out on Whisenhunt. and to make matters worse....

Quote:the jaguars under bradley have shown promise, the wins at the end of the season with all of the injuries, missing blackmon, henne as a qb, and all the rookies on both sides of the ball.... i think bradley deserves quite a bit of recognition for what he accomplished. so is the better hire bradley who already has nfl wins under his belt now as a head coach or o brien who has none?

On paper,  the Jaguars were probably the lesser talented team in all 16 of their games this season.  Getting 4 wins out of the talent the Jaguars fielded in given games,  with 3 coming on the road,  is a very good accomplishment by Gus Bradley and his staff.  No one knows what the future will be.  With Bradley and co. though,  there's definitely reasons for optimism.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The NFC Championship Game is proof you are wrong.

Jim Harbaugh's only head coach experience before San Francisco was Stanford. He was Coach of the Year his first season BTW.

For what it's worth,  Jim Harbaugh also was the Head Coach at the University of San Diego.

Jim Harbaugh gained invaluable experience as the Raiders QB Coach for 2 seasons early last decade.   He also was an NFL QB for 15 years.   Harbaugh was well seasoned by the time he became the 49ers HC.

Quote:But that recent example (which is not the only one, BTW) is proof a college coach can succeed in the NFL. The possibility is there. Didn't Bill Walsh also go straight from Stanford to San Francisco?

Before that,  Bill Walsh spent 8 seasons as an Assistant Coach with the Bengals under Paul Brown,  who IMO belongs on an NFL Coaching Mt. Rushmore.  Walsh was also the Chargers Offensive Coordinator for a season.  

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 02:40 AM by D6.)

Quote: 

Hey D6: whats your take?

<div>Lions hired Ravens OC Jim Caldwell as their head coach.

After missing out on top target Ken Whisenhunt, the Lions settle for the man who worked hand-in-hand with Peyton Manning/Tony Dungy in Indy from 2002-2011. His success there as the quarterbacks coach and then head coach was impressive (two Super Bowl appearances, one win), but his ability to turn around the Ravens offense and lead them to a Super Bowl win after Cam Cameron was fired late in the 2012 season should be the bold print on his resume. In Detroit, Caldwell inherits a franchise quarterback that needs polishing in Matthew Stafford, the game's best wideout in Calvin Johnson, a potentially dominant defensive line and an all-purpose back in Reggie Bush. It's a professional hire that figures to benefit Stafford. Only the Browns and Vikings remain as teams still in search of a head coach.

</div>

TMD,  there's plenty of rumors and speculation what transpired to lead Ken Whisenhunt to take the Tennessee job instead of becoming the Lions HC.  One thing that was mentioned is Tennessee offered a million dollars more per season.   Two others were things I touched on yesterday,  the Defensive Scheme preference and the Southern location of Nashville.   It was also mentioned that Whisenhunt seemed more comfortable working with Tennessee GM Ruston Webster over Detroit GM Martin Mayhew.  Another rumor is that Whisenhunt was concerned about the Lions salary cap situation with so much Salary Cap funds tied into 3 players:    Matthew Stafford,  Calvin Johnson,  and Ndamukong Suh.    Who knows how much of all of this is reality.   The bottom line is Whisenhunt made his decision.   The Lions had no choice going in another direction,  whether Whisenhunt was the team's preferred candidate or not.

As for Jim Caldwell,  like I expressed yesterday,  he brings many positives to the table.   Yet,  the points made in this thread about his clock management with the Colts,  coupled with Caldwell's record when Peyton Manning wasn't his starting QB,   lead to bright yellow caution flags on this end.   Having said this,  there's no question that of the 3 remaining candidates ( not counting Whisenhunt ) that the Lions interviewed,  Caldwell is my preferred choice.  I remain disappointed that the Lions didn't have a more broad parameter HC search.

This coming afternoon at 4pm is Jim Caldwell's press conference to introduce him to the Detroit media and Lions fan base.  It will be interesting to see what comes out of the press conference and the Assistant Coaching hirings coming up.   There are rumors flying all over the place about the staff.  But until the Lions announce the respective coaching staff hirings,  I'm taking a wait and see approach.   Some of the rumored coaches are under contract and might not even be able to leave their current jobs for a promotion in Detroit.

Quote:Wow,....he did a pretty good job as Eagles QB coach, helping disguise Foles as a good QB....but he has only one year of NFL experience. Since Caldwell said he's calling the plays maybe it won't be as important. 

While Ken Whisenhunt will be calling the plays in Tennessee in 2014,  nothing has been settled from a public info standpoint regarding whether Jim Caldwell will be calling plays this season.   My take is it's best Caldwell doesn't call plays,  especially with his history of clock management mistakes from the 2010 season.

Bill Lazor actually coached under Dan Reeves,  Joe Gibbs,  and Mike Holmgren,  among others in the NFL,  before becoming Virginia's Offensive Coordinator for 3 years.   It's anyone's guess how Lazor would do as Lions Offensive Coordinator if he gets the job.   But I like the fact that he worked under highly accomplished coaches on the NFL level,  has a QB coaching background,  and has plenty of experience as a college Offensive Coordinator on the College level.

Even if Caldwell does not call the plays, he will still be the coach calling timeouts. That was his biggest clock management error in 2010, not the plays he called in Jacksonville.

Quote:Even if Caldwell does not call the plays, he will still be the coach calling timeouts. That was his biggest clock management error in 2010, not the plays he called in Jacksonville.

Overall though,  it's harder to focus on game management/  clock management situations when you are calling plays.

Clyde Christensen,   who was the Colts Offensive Coordinator under Jim Caldwell,  was the team's playcaller.  Christensen was retained by Chuck Pagano and is the Colts QB Coach.    Christensen is one of the rumored candidates to become Lions Offensive Coordinator.

Like I mentioned in another reply,  even if Caldwell doesn't call plays for the Lions,  I think he needs a highly skilled Quality Control type of coach to help him with the information flow regarding game and clock management decisions.   

Quote:Bill Lazor, Eagles QB coach, headed to Detroit as Caldwell's offensive coordinator.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bill-lazor-headed-detroit-jim-caldwell'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bill-lazor-headed-detroit-jim-caldwell</a>

Edit:

According to ESPN, change of plans, Lazor is headed to Miami.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bill-lazor-headed-miami-not-detroit'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bill-lazor-headed-miami-not-detroit</a>

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:As it turned out,  the Lions were locked into a specific type of Head Coach candidate.   Previous HC experience and having a background on the Offensive Side of the ball were both essential from the Lions brass standpoint.     Tony Dungy,  who strongly supported Jim Caldwell in his attempt to get the Lions HC job,  gave Bill Ford Jr. advise in sticking to the profile that you are looking for.   From my perspective,  a broader search approach would have been the better way to proceed.    At least talk to some of the Assistant Coaches in the NFL w/o NFL HC experience that had major success as Assistant Coaches.  Maybe one of them would have emerged into the next Mike Tomlin.

As for Tony Dungy,  the following is an article has some quotes from him regarding Jim Caldwell and the Lions HC search:

http://www.freep.com/article/20140114/SP.../301140093

Could be worse.  You could have hired Del Rio or Kubiak.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="knarnn" data-cid="111289" data-time="1389748860">
Bill Lazor, Eagles QB coach, headed to Detroit as Caldwell's offensive coordinator.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bill-lazor-headed-detroit-jim-caldwell'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bill-lazor-headed-detroit-jim-caldwell</a>

Edit:

According to ESPN, change of plans, Lazor is headed to Miami.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bill-lazor-headed-miami-not-detroit'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bill-lazor-headed-miami-not-detroit</a>

</blockquote>

This is a good example of why it makes sense to be cautious regarding coaching hirings and player signings until the team confirms the transaction. 

My best guess of what really happened is that Bill Lazor was one of people Jim Caldwell was considering for the Lions Offensive Coordinator position.    But if the new report proves accurate with Lazor going to the Dolphins, he probably decided it was best to accept the Dolphins O/C job despite Joe Philbin being on the hotseat in 2014............ than waiting to see if he got an offer from the Lions or another team.  

Quote:Could be worse.  You could have hired Del Rio or Kubiak.

Hiring Gary Kubiak as HC would have indeed been worse.   Most likely,  a lot worse.

As for JDR,  even removing the part of the equation that the Lions wanted a HC from the Offensive Side of the ball,   I don't think he would have got serious consideration.   Two reasons for this:

1.  James ' Shack'   Harris is a Lions Executive that works under G.M. Martin Mayhew.     I can't envision Shack recommending to Mayhew to interview JDR. 

2.  JDR's history as Jaguars HC suggests he wouldn't be a good fit for a team that has a large portion of it's salary cap invested in the Offensive passing game.   While the Jaguars personnel likely influenced JDR's decisions,  he seemed to be more comfortable with a ball control 15 to 20 play drive that featured the running game.   I think back to the game in Philadelphia in 2006 and the game in the snow at Pittsburgh in 2007.   Those games are the primary image I have of JDR as a HC.   Basically,  we are going to impose our will on the opposing Defense.

I think people are just overreacting to Whisenhunt.