Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wow D6, the Lions missed out on Whisenhunt. and to make matters worse....

Quote:He was loving Roman. After he stopped loving Bradley because the jags hired him and caught him by surprise.

He knows about as much about what makes a good head coach as he does about qb's.

You'd like to think that. 

I knocked the Kelly, Harbaugh, McCoy and soon to be O Brien rec's right outta the park. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Do you ever start a thread out of genuine interest? Its always a way of bashing the jags or backing up one of your half baked opinions.

You must be a real bore to be working the fryers with. It's all about you...

lastonealive, you think Andrew Luck is "average". 

You're the last one who should be throwing stones about now...

Quote:lastonealive, you think Andrew Luck is "average".

You're the last one who should be throwing stones about now...

Above average...

What's his ypa? Your all important stat?

Quote:I like Roman. I'm saying he's the only one of the 3 you mentioned that would have a chance. But yes lets fixate on the adjectives used. LOL> 

The other 2 would be horrible choices. Then again, as would J Caldwell. 

I really don't know what Detroit can do at this point. 

And I wouldn't say Detroit dragged their feet, they could't interview Whiz until he was done from the playoffs. Per reports he was considered the front runner for the gig. Something shady went down....probably the NFL making back room deals to ensure that the Titans get themselves a good coach with the intent of the harm that does to Jacksonville in their attempt to win games in this division. We all know the NFL wants to get their way and have Jacksonville fail so the franchise moves to London or LA. What Goodell & the money people want, Goodell and the money people get.,,,Just my opinion on those greedy suits, anyway....

You just keep spiraling lower and lower ...

I won't even address your imbecilic babbling about "money men and suits" other than thank you for the unintended comedy ("Pure gold, Jerry!).

Do you believe all the reports you hear? If so, you're very gullible.

And why is Wiz this great coach to be feared? Why isn't he just another decent coach who needs a quarterback? If he gets a good one people will think he's a great coach. If he doesn't, it's back to being an OC.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote: 

Now they are reportedly going after Jim Caldwell?? Sick :yucky:

This cannot make you happy. I know it doesn't make me happy as Whisenhunt is now in Tennessee. 

I don't get it. How come whenever the Jags and Lions need head coaches, we always get either lesser tier guys like Mularkey/ Jim Caldwell or prospects like Bradley/ Schwartz/ Del Rio???

Does the NFL want each of us to fail that bad???

I thought Detroit would basically have their pick of the litter, coaching-wise this offseason, given their favorable personnel situation. 

per rotoworld: 

<div>ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen report the Lions are focusing on Ravens OC Jim Caldwell for their head-coaching vacancy.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora has a similar report. With Ken Whisenhunt choosing the Titans over the Lions, it's on to Plan B for GM Martin Mayhew and company. Lions owner Bill Ford Jr. spoke with ex-Colts coach Tony Dungy on Monday, and Dungy endorsed Caldwell. Peyton Manning also gave Caldwell a strong recommendation, per the Lions' official website. Ex-Titans coach Mike Munchak is also still in play for the Lions. They'll likely make a decision this week.

</div>

Believe me,  the NFL had nothing to do with what transpired today.   I'm 100 % sure that the NFL league office didn't have a strategy that determined which team Ken Whisenhunt would be the next Head Coach.

While there might have been other factors in Ken Whisenhunt landing in Tennessee instead of Detroit,  I think there were two major factors that led to the decision:

1.   The Lions have a huge investment in 4-3 Defensive personnel in the Front 7.    The transition to go to a 3-4 as the base Defense would likely not have been as smooth as the Lions Front Office prefers.    The Lions organization expects to win in 2014.    Whisenhunt has been associated with teams with a 3-4 base Defense for the last 14 seasons.   While Tennessee has used a 4-3 base Defense for a long time,   their short term expectations from a management/ ownership standpoint don't appear to be as great as the Lions short term expectations.    Tennessee's uncertainty at QB speaks for itself.   Hence,  Tennessee's brass very likely was onboard with Whisenhunt's plan to switch to a 3-4 base Defense.

2.   Ken Whisenhunt lived in Nashville for 2 years in the mid 1990's when he was on Vanderbilt's coaching staff.  Also,  he was born in Augusta, GA. and went to college in Atlanta  ( Ga. Tech).   Hence,  Whisenhunt could easily have looked at this is as great opportunity to come back to Nashville and the South.

My issue with the Lions organization regarding what transpired today isn't by itself losing Ken Whisenhunt.   It's the fact that the Lions only apparently interviewed 4 candidates:    Jim Caldwell,  Mike Munchak,  Gary Kubiak,  and Ken Whisenhunt.    Each had previous HC experience and have an Offensive Side of the ball background.   Why didn't the Lions set up an interview with Bengals Defensive Coordinator Mike Zimmer among others?    The scope of the HC search looks too narrow for my liking.   Not interviewing Greg Roman also is a mistake.   At least find out first hand if these coaches could potentially be good fits.

While I'm not sure what the validity of the rumor is,  there's a report that the Lions have interest in Seahawks Defensive Coordinator Dan Quinn.  That by itself would be good.   However,  if this is the case,  why didn't the Lions interview Quinn during wildcard week???   As a result of not interviewing Quinn at that time,   the Lions can't interview him until after the Seahawks season is over.   The Vikings and Browns have the option of asking for a 2nd interview with Quinn next week if the Seahawks advance to the Super Bowl because they interviewed him previously.

Of the 3 remaining candidates the Lions interviewed,  I prefer Jim Caldwell.   The biggest mistake the Lions could make in the process is hire Gary Kubiak.   At the very least,  Kubiak needs much more time to regroup,   when factoring in his health and the erratic decisions he made when the Texans season was going in flames.

Quote:NFL at Large forum.

Last time I checked Detroit was an NFL team.

Is this not the proper place for NFL news? :blink: :ermm:
You sounded sorry for them. I'm not. They have plenty of talent, but lack discipline

Quote: 

Of the 3 remaining candidates the Lions interviewed,  I prefer Jim Caldwell.   The biggest mistake the Lions could make in the process is hire Gary Kubiak.   At the very least,  Kubiak needs much more time to regroup,   when factoring in his health and the erratic decisions he made when the Texans season was going in flames.

Wow, I'm surprised. I thought you would be against a Jim Caldwell hire. I know I'd hate it if the Jags had a head coaching opening and that was the caliber of HC they were courting. I expect better. 

Quote:,

If the Lions were sure they wanted Ken Whisenhunt, why didn't they hire him ASAP to keep him out of Nashville?

I'm not sure if Ken Whisenhunt would have been the Lions choice when the dust settled.  Apparently though,  the Lions were planning on bringing a private plane to San Diego to bring Whisenhunt to the Detroit area.   At the very least,  as a finalist for the team's HC job.

Here's something specific that I believe will interest you as an Ohio State fan:

If the Lions hire Jim Caldwell as Head Coach,  there appears to be a realistic chance that Jim Tressel will working for Jim Caldwell again:

http://fansided.com/2014/01/13/report-ji...oit-lions/

Jim Tressel had high praise for Caldwell in the following article that also mentions the Jaguars,  regarding the 2011 season:

http://www.freep.com/article/20140113/SP...whisenhunt

Quote:Wow, I'm surprised. I thought you would be against a Jim Caldwell hire. I know I'd hate it if the Jags had a head coaching opening and that was the caliber of HC they were courting. I expect better. 

Here's my take on Jim Caldwell.   He has an excellent background working with QB's and came very prepared for his interview with the Lions in terms of his plans for Matthew Stafford.   The QB seemed impressed with Caldwell.    In addition,  as an Offensive Coordinator,  Caldwell helped rescue the Ravens 2012 season when he was promoted to that role as the 2nd half of that season moved along.

With Peyton Manning as his QB,  Caldwell had major success as Coits HC.  This team was 14-0 before Bill Polian made the decision for the Colts to pull the starters in the 2nd half of the game against the Jets.    While the Colts lost the Super Bowl that season,   Caldwell has coached in one more Super Bowl as the HC than the Lions have been in the last 48 seasons.      He also was the winning Offensive Coordinator for the Ravens in last season's Super Bowl.  

Caldwell is very professional.    The Lions lack of discipline caught up to the team under Jim Schwartz.   Based on Caldwell's history, this shouldn't be a problem if he's the Lions HC.   Take it for what it's worth but Tony Dungy believes Caldwell would be the ideal fit for the Lions.

Having said all of this,  I'm very concerned about Caldwell's horrific W-L record at Wake Forest and in the one season he was the Colts HC w/o Peyton Manning being able to play.   

Like I mentioned in a thread in the AFC South Forum of this MB,  I don't have a strong gauge on Mike Munchak but my hunch is he will be a 10-6 to 6-10 range coach much more often than not.   I rather go with Caldwell but would keep an open mind if the Lions hire Munchak.   One plus with Munchak is he knows many of the Lions Defensive Coaches from his Tennessee days and the team's both used the Wide 9 Defensive 4-3 scheme.  At least there would be significant Defensive Continuity.

I'm totally against Gary Kubiak being the Lions HC.   I wish Kubiak has great health and does well in his career.  But it would very likely be a mega football mistake if the Lions hired him as HC.      

Jim Caldwell's game management was dreadful at Indy. His use of timeouts was particularly baffling, it even got them knocked out of the playoffs one year (against baltimore i believe)

I'd take Gus over Ken. 

Quote:Believe me,  the NFL had nothing to do with what transpired today.   I'm 100 % sure that the NFL league office didn't have a strategy that determined which team Ken Whisenhunt would be the next Head Coach.

While there might have been other factors in Ken Whisenhunt landing in Tennessee instead of Detroit,  I think there were two major factors that led to the decision:

1.   The Lions have a huge investment in 4-3 Defensive personnel in the Front 7.    The transition to go to a 3-4 as the base Defense would likely not have been as smooth as the Lions Front Office prefers.    The Lions organization expects to win in 2014.    Whisenhunt has been associated with teams with a 3-4 base Defense for the last 14 seasons.   While Tennessee has used a 4-3 base Defense for a long time,   their short term expectations from a management/ ownership standpoint don't appear to be as great as the Lions short term expectations.    Tennessee's uncertainty at QB speaks for itself.   Hence,  Tennessee's brass very likely was onboard with Whisenhunt's plan to switch to a 3-4 base Defense.

2.   Ken Whisenhunt lived in Nashville for 2 years in the mid 1990's when he was on Vanderbilt's coaching staff.  Also,  he was born in Augusta, GA. and went to college in Atlanta  ( Ga. Tech).   Hence,  Whisenhunt could easily have looked at this is as great opportunity to come back to Nashville and the South.

My issue with the Lions organization regarding what transpired today isn't by itself losing Ken Whisenhunt.   It's the fact that the Lions only apparently interviewed 4 candidates:    Jim Caldwell,  Mike Munchak,  Gary Kubiak,  and Ken Whisenhunt.    Each had previous HC experience and have an Offensive Side of the ball background.   Why didn't the Lions set up an interview with Bengals Defensive Coordinator Mike Zimmer among others?    The scope of the HC search looks too narrow for my liking.   Not interviewing Greg Roman also is a mistake.   At least find out first hand if these coaches could potentially be good fits.

While I'm not sure what the validity of the rumor is,  there's a report that the Lions have interest in Seahawks Defensive Coordinator Dan Quinn.  That by itself would be good.   However,  if this is the case,  why didn't the Lions interview Quinn during wildcard week???   As a result of not interviewing Quinn at that time,   the Lions can't interview him until after the Seahawks season is over.   The Vikings and Browns have the option of asking for a 2nd interview with Quinn next week if the Seahawks advance to the Super Bowl because they interviewed him previously.

D6,

The Lions job is the plum of the available HC positions.  Is it possible that Detroit is biding time to get one of the hot candidates from one of the Super Bowl teams?

And yes, I see Jack in the picture too. :thumbsup:

Quote:Weren't you riding the Greg Roman train hard last year? And now he's only decent?

The Lions had first dibs on Wisenhunt and took their time. If they really wanted him they would have had him.

If you're a prospective HC with an offensive background would you choose Tennessee or Detroit?

Detroit didn't want him.

As for the underlined bolded part, get used to it. He changes his flavor every 6 months.

If he dosent like the off season moves O' Brian makes with the Texans, his flavor on him him change as well.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Jim Caldwell's game management was dreadful at Indy. His use of timeouts was particularly baffling, it even got them knocked out of the playoffs one year (against baltimore i believe)

Every time I think about Caldwell's game management, I think of this.

http://youtu.be/FerOuBBAN2o

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:I like Roman. I'm saying he's the only one of the 3 you mentioned that would have a chance. But yes lets fixate on the adjectives used. LOL> 

The other 2 would be horrible choices. Then again, as would J Caldwell. 

I really don't know what Detroit can do at this point. 

And I wouldn't say Detroit dragged their feet, they could't interview Whiz until he was done from the playoffs. Per reports he was considered the front runner for the gig. Something shady went down....probably the NFL making back room deals to ensure that the Titans get themselves a good coach with the intent of the harm that does to Jacksonville in their attempt to win games in this division. We all know the NFL wants to get their way and have Jacksonville fail so the franchise moves to London or LA. What Goodell & the money people want, Goodell and the money people get.,,,Just my opinion on those greedy suits, anyway....

this whole conspiracy theory thing is getting old. its really pathetic. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Believe me,  the NFL had nothing to do with what transpired today.   I'm 100 % sure that the NFL league office didn't have a strategy that determined which team Ken Whisenhunt would be the next Head Coach.

How they could hire Kubiak is beyond me. Did they not see his meltdown in Houston, not to mention all the bad seasons he had there anyway?

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote: We all know the NFL wants to get their way and have Jacksonville fail so the franchise moves to London or LA. What Goodell & the money people want, Goodell and the money people get.,,,Just my opinion on those greedy suits, anyway....
OK Mods.. seriously. WHY allow this garbage to continue to be posted on the Jacksonville Jaguars forums?    Enough already!

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2014, 11:35 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:OK Mods.. seriously. WHY allow this garbage to continue to be posted on the Jacksonville Jaguars forums?    Enough already!

Dude you whining about posts shouldn't be allowed to go on like it does. Seriously, if you don't like/ agree with my football opinions then put me on ignore. 

You've posted like 10 times in the past 2 days and NONE of it has been about football, and all complaining about me. 

I'm the one actually keeping within the guidelines and posting football takes. 

You don't like what my opinions are. Simple as that. Well. Too bad. The ignore button is that way ---------------------------------------------> Use it. 

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2014, 11:40 AM by PF*.)

Watched the Scobee clip, Caldwell's use of a TO there was wildly questionable. Dan Fouts, with his Kelvin "Haywood" call once again proves he's as marginal an announcer/color guy as he was a QB. HOF? Nah.

Yes, TMD's conspiracy charges and anti-Gus/coordinators comments, rants, tirades are indeed growing old. Give it up...this coming from one of your long time supporters, TMD. I agree it's good to have balance on the boards (else we become the Az Cardinals board) but enough already.

Edit: wow, 2 of us said "enough already" within minutes of each other.

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile