Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wow D6, the Lions missed out on Whisenhunt. and to make matters worse....

Quote:One example doesn't make it fact.

There are plenty of failed first time NFL head coaches with college head coaching experience. Greg Schiano comes to mind.

But that recent example (which is not the only one, BTW) is proof a college coach can succeed in the NFL. The possibility is there. Didn't Bill Walsh also go straight from Stanford to San Francisco?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:But that recent example (which is not the only one, BTW) is proof a college coach can succeed in the NFL. The possibility is there. Didn't Bill Walsh also go straight from Stanford to San Francisco?

Again, what's your point? There are plenty of examples that show both sides. Success is just as likely as failure.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Wow, some of you guys really need to chill out on your criticism of Mad Dog.  I don't always like what he says either but the guy's entitled to his opinion just like everybody else.  If he bothers you so much, just put him on ignore.  Not to mention you guys really light him up and get personal with the insults and from what I can tell, he doesn't really insult people. 
It is starting to get to this point. I have even thought about making a TMD appreciation thread on the sideline. I feel bad, he doesn't deserve as much flack as he gets. TMD makes the forum go round. If he didn't take the crazy side of things (that turns out to be right equally as much as the kool aid people, who argued for Gene Smith even after 2011, now that was crazy), there would be a lot less to talk about.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Again, what's your point? There are plenty of examples that show both sides. Success is just as likely as failure.

It looked to me like somebody was saying Bill O'Brien was a bad pick just because he only was a head coach at Penn State. I was pointing out there is no guarantee he will fail in Houston.

Quote:It looked to me like somebody was saying Bill O'Brien was a bad pick just because he only was a head coach at Penn State. I was pointing out there is no guarantee he will fail in Houston.

I was pointing out there is no guarantee he will succeed in Houston.  In fact I used the word "always'.  One case does not prove anything except the possibility.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I was pointing out there is no guarantee he will succeed in Houston.  In fact I used the word "always'.  One case does not prove anything except the possibility.

Let's all hope he is more like Spurrier, Schiano, Petrino, and Saban. Nothing could be worse for the Jaguars than a new coach in the division being the next Jim Harbaugh.

Quote:Let's all hope he is more like Spurrier, Schiano, Petrino, and Saban. Nothing could be worse for the Jaguars than a new coach in the division being the next Jim Harbaugh.

A lot of things could be worse for the Jaguars.

We could fail to draft a decent quarterback for the next decade.  All of our starters could suffer horiffic injuries and just as we're about to get the first pick, Goodell discovers something that makes him take it away from us.  Live bears could attack the stadium during half-time.  The list goes on

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:OK Mods.. seriously. WHY allow this garbage to continue to be posted on the Jacksonville Jaguars forums?    Enough already!
It's pretty simple. There was a thread in another forum by the same OP which was shut down.

The OP found a way to re-package the same exact thread with the same exact rhetoric, but make it sound like a cool conversation with another team's fan. However, the OP couldn't make it past the original post without showing the true meaning of the thread.

It's the board's version of refried beans.

Quote:This cannot make you happy. I know it doesn't make me happy as Whisenhunt is now in Tennessee. 

I don't get it. How come whenever the Jags and Lions need head coaches, we always get either lesser tier guys like Mularkey/ Jim Caldwell or prospects like Bradley/ Schwartz/ Del Rio???

Does the NFL want each of us to fail that bad???

Exact same song and dance as the last thread.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:It is starting to get to this point. I have even thought about making a TMD appreciation thread on the sideline. I feel bad, he doesn't deserve as much flack as he gets. TMD makes the forum go round. If he didn't take the crazy side of things (that turns out to be right equally as much as the kool aid people, who argued for Gene Smith even after 2011, now that was crazy), there would be a lot less to talk about.

Thanks, bro! :thumbsup: 

Quote:A lot of things could be worse for the Jaguars.

We could fail to draft a decent quarterback for the next decade.  All of our starters could suffer horiffic injuries and just as we're about to get the first pick, Goodell discovers something that makes him take it away from us.  Live bears could attack the stadium during half-time.  The list goes on

As long as we get the stud QB...everything else can be fixed. 

Hey D6: whats your take?

Lions hired Ravens OC Jim Caldwell as their head coach.

After missing out on top target Ken Whisenhunt, the Lions settle for the man who worked hand-in-hand with Peyton Manning/Tony Dungy in Indy from 2002-2011. His success there as the quarterbacks coach and then head coach was impressive (two Super Bowl appearances, one win), but his ability to turn around the Ravens offense and lead them to a Super Bowl win after Cam Cameron was fired late in the 2012 season should be the bold print on his resume. In Detroit, Caldwell inherits a franchise quarterback that needs polishing in Matthew Stafford, the game's best wideout in Calvin Johnson, a potentially dominant defensive line and an all-purpose back in Reggie Bush. It's a professional hire that figures to benefit Stafford. Only the Browns and Vikings remain as teams still in search of a head coach.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 12:43 PM by knarnn.)

Bill Lazor, Eagles QB coach, headed to Detroit as Caldwell's offensive coordinator.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bill-lazor-headed-detroit-jim-caldwell'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bill-lazor-headed-detroit-jim-caldwell</a>

According to ESPN, change of plans, Lazor is headed to Miami.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bill-lazor-headed-miami-not-detroit'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bill-lazor-headed-miami-not-detroit</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Bill Lazor, Eagles QB coach, headed to Detroit as Caldwell's offensive coordinator.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-bi...m-caldwell

Wow,....he did a pretty good job as Eagles QB coach, helping disguise Foles as a good QB....but he has only one year of NFL experience. Since Caldwell said he's calling the plays maybe it won't be as important. 

Quote:Wow,....he did a pretty good job as Eagles QB coach, helping disguise Foles as a good QB....but he has only one year of NFL experience. Since Caldwell said he's calling the plays maybe it won't be as important.

Imagine what he can do with Stafford at QB.

Quote:A lot of things could be worse for the Jaguars.

I was specifically referring to coaching hires.

Quote:As long as we get the stud QB...everything else can be fixed. 

Everything on special teams and defense can be fixed even if we don't get a stud quarterback. But you are right about the offense.

Quote:Jim Caldwell's game management was dreadful at Indy. His use of timeouts was particularly baffling, it even got them knocked out of the playoffs one year (against baltimore i believe)

The specific playoff game you are thinking of was against the Jets in the 2010 season playoffs.   While I understand Jim Caldwell's logic,  I disagree with his decision.   Jets Kicker Nick Folk was around 50 % conversions of FG's from the 50 yard range that season.   Though the game was in the perfect conditions of the  Lucas Oil Stadium Dome,  the best chance the Colts had was for a missed FG.    

The following article and the video from the article mentions has additional information and opinion:

http://msn.foxsports.com/detroit/story/b...ell-011414

Quote:Every time I think about Caldwell's game management, I think of this.

http://youtu.be/FerOuBBAN2o

Thank you for post the link to this video.   I totally forgot about this sequence of events in the final minute of the Jaguars win over the Colts 3 seasons ago.

There's no question that Jim Caldwell should have let the clock run down once JDR elected to run the ball on 1st Down and the Jaguars gained as many as 8 yards.   The chances of the Colts getting the ball back and having enough time to get into FG range were slim.

The bottom line is Clock Management was a major issue with Jim Caldwell in at least two games during his time as Colts HC.   As a Lions fan,  I hope that Caldwell learned from his mistakes.    Some coaches learn from in their 2nd opportunity as an NFL HC.   In addition,  the game in Jacksonville and the home playoff game against the Jets illustrate the need for Caldwell to hire a high caliber Quality Control coach that would aid in clock management situations.

Quote:D6,

The Lions job is the plum of the available HC positions.  Is it possible that Detroit is biding time to get one of the hot candidates from one of the Super Bowl teams?

And yes, I see Jack in the picture too. :thumbsup:

As it turned out,  the Lions were locked into a specific type of Head Coach candidate.   Previous HC experience and having a background on the Offensive Side of the ball were both essential from the Lions brass standpoint.     Tony Dungy,  who strongly supported Jim Caldwell in his attempt to get the Lions HC job,  gave Bill Ford Jr. advise in sticking to the profile that you are looking for.   From my perspective,  a broader search approach would have been the better way to proceed.    At least talk to some of the Assistant Coaches in the NFL w/o NFL HC experience that had major success as Assistant Coaches.  Maybe one of them would have emerged into the next Mike Tomlin.

As for Tony Dungy,  the following is an article has some quotes from him regarding Jim Caldwell and the Lions HC search:

http://www.freep.com/article/20140114/SP.../301140093

Quote:How they could hire Kubiak is beyond me. Did they not see his meltdown in Houston, not to mention all the bad seasons he had there anyway?

Thankfully,  Gary Kubiak didn't end up as the Lions HC.   The meltdown in Houston certainly caught my attention,  as I commented on it in the AFC South Forum of this MB when Kubiak was making erratic decisions.   Especially with his QB's,  

If Gary Kubiak got a clean bill of health and was hired as Lions Offensive Coordinator,  I would be more than comfortable with that.   Kubiak is probably better suited to be an Offensive Coordinator or QB Coach than a Head Coach.   At the very least,  I truly believe it would be in his best interest if he wasn't a Head Coach on any level in 2014.   Kubiak needs to take a step back before moving forward.

Quote:Having head coach experience doesn't mean anything. Success at the college level doesn't always translate at the NFL level.  There are too many examples of this.  

Daryl Rogers is exhibit A of coach that had many, many years of Head Coach experience on the major College level but was a mega failure as an NFL Head Coach.   To the point that 25 years later,  it still greatly influences my thinking,   despite seeing what Jimmy Johnson did in Dallas.