Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DEREK COX

Cox sucks !!!   I stated it 5 years ago, and I'll state it again.   Excellent analysis -- see link.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2013/11/...struggling

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014, 12:55 PM by badger.)

He hasn't been playing for a while I thought due to injury, but I guess he was benched too? The Chargers replaced him with Richard Marshall who was found on the free agent trash heap.

Cox has had his moments, but he can never stay on the field and this season was no different.

That's a great analysis.

Quote:Cox sucks !!!   I stated it 5 years ago, and I'll state it again.   Excellent analysis -- see link.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2013/11/...struggling

Problem is majority of the points he harped about were things Cox did well while here in Jax. The only legitimate thing is the confidence thing, which resulted in him being benched his soph season. But while he was here, Cox was a good run-support guy, physical press guy (which they didn't ask him to do a lot here since we didn't have a pass rush), and pretty good ball skills. Cox basically averaged 4 INTs a year while here in Jax. Not Primetime, but far from being bad at it (I would venture to guess that CBs that get at least 7 INTs typically get considered for pro-bowl type years).

I'm not going to pretend like I know what is going on with Cox and with the Chargers, but what was talked about in that article was not consistent with what we often saw in Jax.

So is it now that we move from mad that we let him walk to happy we let him walk?

He played good here when healthy, he just couldn't stay healthy.  For that, we were wise in not overpaying to keep him.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Hmm.  I wonder where a certain poster who continued to complain about them letting Cox walk in free agency for lesser talent is?  Haven't seen him posting in this thread despite repeatedly blasting the front office for allowing such a talent to get away?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Hmm.  I wonder where a certain poster who continued to complain about them letting Cox walk in free agency for lesser talent is?  Haven't seen him posting in this thread despite repeatedly blasting the front office for allowing such a talent to get away?
Look here, it takes a lot of energy trying to keep people in line who aren't listening. Wallbash

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Hmm.  I wonder where a certain poster who continued to complain about them letting Cox walk in free agency for lesser talent is?  Haven't seen him posting in this thread despite repeatedly blasting the front office for allowing such a talent to get away?

I will say he did admit that it looks like Caldwell made the right move in regards to Cox.

I've said it by about mid season not signing Cox turned out to be the right move, how many times are we going to go over this?

I still don't like the way we started out this rebuild but it came together really well towards the end of the season, if we build on that good things are coming. At the start of the season letting starters walk was questionable, so I questioned it, don't regret it or deny it.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Also my gripe wasn't about JUST Derek Cox, it was about the blowing up the roster style rebuild. I harped about players like Knighton, Cox and Smith but also mentioned we let just about everyone in secondary go making it harder to rebuild areas that needed more attention. But don't let facts get in the way of your snide little remarks, do what you do FBT..............

So the former GM drafted a player too high (shocker) and the current GM made a better decision.   I think this is a trend we'll see more of. 

Cox played above average in about 25 of the 47 games he played as a Jag.  He played great in 5 or 6 of them.   I really think the reason he didn't interest DC and Gus is that he didn't fit that "passionate competitor that loves to play football" requirement that they talk so much about. 

I think that's why he played like crap this year as well.  He got that guaranteed money and just quit.  (JDR had to light a fire under him a couple of times here IIRC) 

In how many of thosee games did Cox play all four quarters? Not many I'll bet.

Quote:In how many of thosee games did Cox play all four quarters? Not many I'll bet.
Nearly all.  He played in 47 games.  He could have played in 64 if he'd stayed healthy.  He probably left 4 or 5 games early.  

Quote:Also my gripe wasn't about JUST Derek Cox, it was about the blowing up the roster style rebuild. I harped about players like Knighton, Cox and Smith but also mentioned we let just about everyone in secondary go making it harder to rebuild areas that needed more attention. But don't let facts get in the way of your snide little remarks, do what you do FBT..............

I was with you. Maybe its the scheme in SD but everything that breakdown harped on, he excelled at here while in Jacksonville. FWIW Caldwell missed on Knighton and especially Smith for those patting themselves on the back.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Knighton had any intention of re-signing here.  I got the impression that he was dead set on playing for JDR again.

Quote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Knighton had any intention of re-signing here.  I got the impression that he was dead set on playing for JDR again.

It's not a miss if you neither aim nor fire.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Knighton is in the perfect situation in Denver, where he's used as a rotational, depth player. He doesn't have the motivation to be a starting DT. We got Marks to replace him, I'm happy with that.

And Daryl was one of my favorite Jaguars, and I knew he'd be successful in Baltimore, but he's older. Eventually, we will draft his replacement. Geno Hayes is the stop gap for now, and he played well in the 2nd half of the season before getting injured.
No commercial messages in sigs

Derek was actually really good for the Jags when he wasn't hurt. He's regressed big-time in San Diego I see.

Quote:Also my gripe wasn't about JUST Derek Cox, it was about the blowing up the roster style rebuild. I harped about players like Knighton, Cox and Smith but also mentioned we let just about everyone in secondary go making it harder to rebuild areas that needed more attention. But don't let facts get in the way of your snide little remarks, do what you do FBT..............
It appears they got all 3 right.  Marks appears to be an upgrade at DT, Gratz over Cox, and Smith is near the end of his career and will not be able to contribute by the time we become competitive, so what's the point?  I bet that OLB position will be fixed this offseason.

Quote:It appears they got all 3 right. Marks appears to be an upgrade at DT, Gratz over Cox, and Smith is near the end of his career and will not be able to contribute by the time we become competitive, so what's the point? I bet that OLB position will be fixed this offseason.

It's not an either or issue, imagine knighting and marks for example. The seasons over I don feel like rehashing all of this again what's done is done. The important thing is we make the moves needed to be competitive this year