Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We will beat the Vikings.

I've been calling BS on the vikings all year when they started 5-0 and I stand by it, they are a horrible offense mixed in with a solid defense and this is the time of year our jaguars like to win (you know when we're out of the playoff hunt)

I don't care about draft position, I want our young players like Ramsey/Jack/Fowler etc to start getting a taste of winning, regardless who our QB will be next year. 

GO JAGS 

17-14 jags

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Thanks

Quote:I don't care about draft position, I want our young players like Ramsey/Jack/Fowler etc to start getting a taste of winning, regardless who our QB will be next year. 
This is the mindset that gives us a week 17 win over the Colts in 2011 that directly got them Andrew luck, and a week 16 TNF win over the Titans that directly got them Marcus Mariota. We would have been in position to get those franchise QBs in both cases. 

Clearly those useless late season wins instilled our young players those years with the taste of winning though, since we are doing so much of that now. 

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2016, 07:00 AM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

Quote:This is the mindset that gives us a week 17 win over the Colts in 2011 that directly got them Andrew luck, and a week 16 TNF win over the Titans that directly got them Marcus Mariota. We would have been in position to get those franchise QBs in both cases.

Clearly those useless late season wins instilled our young players those years with the taste of winning though, since we are doing so much of that now.
Couldn't the argument also be made that the high draft position hasn't helped us either. Had we lost to the tacks on that Thursday night in 2014, Caldwell would have still taken Fowler and the tacks would have still taken Mariota. Also, had we taken Carr in 2014, we would have, arguably, the best QB in the division even with Luck being a clot. Caldwell insists that he has picked the player he would have taken first overall in each of his drafts so far and I actually believe him. It's who you pick, not when you pick, always has been always will be.

Quote:This is the mindset that gives us a week 17 win over the Colts in 2011 that directly got them Andrew luck, and a week 16 TNF win over the Titans that directly got them Marcus Mariota. We would have been in position to get those franchise QBs in both cases. 

Late-season wins are never useless. If you are a Jaguars fan, you want your team to win under all circumstances.

we had the pick....we just thought we didn't need a QB...yeah right.  :whistling:

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:we had the pick....we just thought we didn't need a QB...yeah right.

We did not have the pick.

Then we should have lost....hahahaha took the bait didn't ya.  :woot:

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2016, 08:35 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Couldn't the argument also be made that the high draft position hasn't helped us either. Had we lost to the tacks on that Thursday night in 2014, Caldwell would have still taken Fowler and the tacks would have still taken Mariota. Also, had we taken Carr in 2014, we would have, arguably, the best QB in the division even with Luck being a clot. Caldwell insists that he has picked the player he would have taken first overall in each of his drafts so far and I actually believe him. It's who you pick, not when you pick, always has been always will be.
But when you pick can determine who you can pick.

As inept as Gene Smith was, he may well have correctly identified Andrew Luck as the top QB in 2012.

But Andrew Luck was never, ever going to be around at the #7 overall pick.  Not in that draft.  He was never going to be around at the #5 overall pick.

The lower down in the draft you go, the more you need others above you to get it wrong so you can get it the most right.  Either they have to be willing to trade out of that spot, which, in the case of a top two pick, usually costs a boatload of picks, or all of the teams above you have to not want/need that player.  The odds of one or both things happening are slim-even more so if the team at the top

needs a QB and a super talented prospect is at the top of the draft.

The league designed the draft this way-giving the worst teams priority access to the biggest available draft pool-to ensure competitive balance.

In many instances, the draft pool isn't such that a top pick will turn a bad team around immediately.  But sometimes even the worst run franchises get it right due to being in the right position to get players.  Nobody thinks the Colts' GM is particularly adept at drafting/constructing a roster.  But the Colts have managed to remain competitive during his tenure because he was in the position to draft Andrew Luck.  When you pick matters too.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Their defense is going to pwn us.

At least 4 or 5 sacks.

At least 2 turnovers.

We ain't winnin.

Vikings don't need a good offense to score points. They have our offense and special teams.

Quote:Vikings don't need a good offense to score points. They have our offense and special teams.
Yep.  Short fields all day long if form holds true today.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Vikings don't need a good offense to score points. They have our offense and special teams.

Explain that to me.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2016, 09:00 AM by Mowerguy.)

Ummmm...our st and offense have done a good job of handing 12 to 15 points a game to our opponents.

aka turnovers

Has to drive our D crazy.

thought you been watching games

Quote:Couldn't the argument also be made that the high draft position hasn't helped us either. Had we lost to the tacks on that Thursday night in 2014, Caldwell would have still taken Fowler and the tacks would have still taken Mariota. Also, had we taken Carr in 2014, we would have, arguably, the best QB in the division even with Luck being a clot. Caldwell insists that he has picked the player he would have taken first overall in each of his drafts so far and I actually believe him. It's who you pick, not when you pick, always has been always will be.
sadly, our high draft picks have been wasted by less than skillful draft choices by our 'apparently' less than skillful general manager Dave Caldwell. Missing on a few high picks is understandable... but we've been on a run of missing on high picks for some time now. Given that two high level selections were on a 'franchise quarterback' (the 3rd overall pick no less) and a head coach... well, it doesn't speak well for our GM's skill as a GM here.

It seems like too much is made of success on the college level and not enough real research into the tangible abilities and weaknesses of our selections is going on. For example, there was obviously too little thought given to the fundamental skill set possessed by Blake Bortles. Selecting a player to be your 'franchise quarterback' who had/has issues with his ability to pass a football as the 3rd overall selection???

Nice going Dave, not to mention Gus Bradley, Luke Joeckel, etc... 

This has been the plan all year.  A few teams have stuck it to us but overall they just wait for our mistakes and 10 times it has happened.  I really hope that if​ we get a few meaningless wins no one thinks that the close games meant something all year.  This team is in a rut and a few wins won't fix it.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Minny's offense is in basic shambles (particularly along the O-line).

Their lack of success over the last 6 games reflects that.

But, as others said, this one is probably going to go to the team that wins the turnover battle. What we've seen from the Jags lately, well.......

I think it'll be a close game, very similar to the Broncos game last week.

"IF" (BIG IF) the Jags don't turn the ball over, they have a shot to win. But, I'm not betting on it.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2016, 09:36 AM by StitchJones.)

Quote:I've been calling [BAD WORD REMOVED] on the vikings all year when they started 5-0 and I stand by it, they are a horrible offense mixed in with a solid defense and this is the time of year our jaguars like to win (you know when we're out of the playoff hunt)

I don't care about draft position, I want our young players like Ramsey/Jack/Fowler etc to start getting a taste of winning, regardless who our QB will be next year. 

GO JAGS 

17-14 jags
I understand the desire to want victories; we've not experienced much of that over the last ten years or so as Jaguar fans. Regrettably however, late season 'victories' don't do anything good for the team; as a matter of fact, the only real effect of post play-off contention victories is to lower your draft pick status, which isn't going to help you win games next season when they could really count.

The argument that 'victories help the younger players' is perhaps valid for children with delicate psychs. What would help our players now is to stop coddling them and put players (and coaches) around them who can enable gaining those real victories when they actually matter. 

No player makes it to the NFL who came from a 'losing culture'; these guys already know about winning and what it takes. They just need the talent around them to facilitate doing so. A decent head coach and decent quarterback would go a long way towards doing that.

simple as that.

I was hoping snowwolf didn't create this tread. I was like, oh crap, Gus is actually going to pull off a meaningless win.

Wheww.....

If this one comes down to coaching, the Jags will be in trouble.

The Jags will need the offense to find a way to step up, and the defense to play close to the same way they have been playing, but just find a way to stop those couple of plays that seem to burn them every game and then they will actually have a chance to win this one.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.