Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Bortles better than Manziel?

Quote:You could say the same about all three of the top QBs in this draft.

Bortles is the only one with an NFL frame though.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Bortles is the only one with an NFL frame though.

Completely agree.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I don't care about that if Manziel is a better quarterback.
Jake locker is a better QB than Gabbert but he's not on the field ever because he's always broken, so yeah, durability matters. 

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2014, 01:16 AM by Vino.)

Quote:Well this only took me about 2 seconds to find...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5mD8zJ_9M
And I knew someone would bring this up. If you actually look at what he did he kept his eyes down the field the whole time, saw both Evans and Walker converging on the same spot with a bunch of the defense completely focused on him, so he took a shot down the field with the ball high enough that only his two tall receivers could get it, so otherwise it would be incomplete or pass interference. At worse it would be tipped into the air by his receiver, but none of the DBs would ever have had a chance to touch that ball first. That's a gutsy shot downfield that looks crazier than it really is because of all the guys Manziel avoided to make it. I doubt Jedd would have much of a problem with that play, if anything he recently said he would encourage a play like that.

What I've noticed with Johnny is that people automatically seem to think his plays are just crazy because they look crazy, and assume it won't work in the NFL, rather than looking at what he actually did. You're assuming he didn't know what he was doing like you're him, but as far as I can tell he knew exactly what he was doing and it wasn't a hail mary, it was a well  placed ball, on a well read improvisation.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

the thing is if they're going against NFL corners u can't do that in the NFL and expect it to work

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2014, 03:04 AM by bleedingteal.)

Quote:Geno Smith did/does the same, but is much, much worse about it. So, why is that such a big deal now?
He never did what manziel did in college.

Take me to a clip in college where he did that.

Quote:the thing is if they're going against NFL corners u can't do that in the NFL and expect it to work
Who said he'd do that against NFL corners? I like the fact he has the ability to do it more so than being afraid of him doing it. Or in other words, I'd rather have something that's at volume 1000 and have to tune it down than something I have to tune up, or won't tune up at all.

Quote:He never did what manziel did in college.
He couldn't in the first place.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:And I knew someone would bring this up. If you actually look at what he did he kept his eyes down the field the whole time, saw both Evans and Walker converging on the same spot with a bunch of the defense completely focused on him, so he took a shot down the field with the ball high enough that only his two tall receivers could get it, so otherwise it would be incomplete or pass interference. At worse it would be tipped into the air by his receiver, but none of the DBs would ever have had a chance to touch that ball first. That's a gutsy shot downfield that looks crazier than it really is because of all the guys Manziel avoided to make it. I doubt Jedd would have much of a problem with that play, if anything he recently said he would encourage a play like that.

What I've noticed with Johnny is that people automatically seem to think his plays are just crazy because they look crazy, and assume it won't work in the NFL, rather than looking at what he actually did. You're assuming he didn't know what he was doing like you're him, but as far as I can tell he knew exactly what he was doing and it wasn't a hail mary, it was a well placed ball, on a well read improvisation.

You can't be serious.

Quote:Jake locker is a better QB than Gabbert but he's not on the field ever because he's always broken, so yeah, durability matters. 

Jake Locker has not even been the best quarterback at Tennessee the last three seasons. Mike Munchak just told him to start because he was a top 10 (#8) pick.

Quote:And I knew someone would bring this up. If you actually look at what he did he kept his eyes down the field the whole time, saw both Evans and Walker converging on the same spot with a bunch of the defense completely focused on him, so he took a shot down the field with the ball high enough that only his two tall receivers could get it, so otherwise it would be incomplete or pass interference. At worse it would be tipped into the air by his receiver, but none of the DBs would ever have had a chance to touch that ball first. That's a gutsy shot downfield that looks crazier than it really is because of all the guys Manziel avoided to make it. I doubt Jedd would have much of a problem with that play, if anything he recently said he would encourage a play like that.

What I've noticed with Johnny is that people automatically seem to think his plays are just crazy because they look crazy, and assume it won't work in the NFL, rather than looking at what he actually did. You're assuming he didn't know what he was doing like you're him, but as far as I can tell he knew exactly what he was doing and it wasn't a hail mary, it was a well  placed ball, on a well read improvisation.
I laughed. And then I laughed harder.

I prefer Bortles, but then I am just a goon on a message board.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:Bortles is the only one with an NFL frame though.

Quote:Completely agree.

Do R Wilson and Brees have NFL frames?

Dude...did you WATCH that play?  There are four defenders and three receivers in the vicinity of that pass.  That is essentially a toss up.  If his guys aren't bigger and stronger, that's an INT.  He has to cut that crap out if he's going to play in the NFL.

I like Manziel but dang...

You are definitely pulling for straws...

Quote:Dude...did you WATCH that play?  There are four defenders and three receivers in the vicinity of that pass.  That is essentially a toss up.  If his guys aren't bigger and stronger, that's an INT.  He has to cut that crap out if he's going to play in the NFL.

C'mon you guys. You are smarter than this. Think this thru a little more. First off, you portray this to be the norm when it is the exception. Secondly, look at the position he's in. His defense cannot stop Alabama. They're like Sherman thru Georgia. Heck, Duke didn't have to punt all game in the bowl. It's 3rd and 8. You escape the clutches of a 275 lb. lineman. Two of the tallest players in the area are his guys. What do you do? Take the sack. Throw it away and get a grounding penalty? He throws the ball with an arc.....not a laser.....so that the ball was coming down more vertically giving his taller receivers a better chance. Pretty much a jump ball. It was a MEASURED risk that he had to take against the Alabama offense......yeah, I said offense. He was playing against the offense because he knew they would score almost every time. So you HAVE to take risks in that situation if you are to have any plays at all. Why not post videos of all the great pinpoint passes he made that game. Maybe that doesn't fit the agenda. When you have a crappy defense watching your back, you have to have a gunslinger mentality if you are to have any success at all. You must score TDs almost every possession.....and against some of the best defenses in college football. Out.

Quote:Do R Wilson and Brees have NFL frames?

Of course not, but they are both exceptional. As in "happen once a generation mostly by fluke." That's why San Diego got rid of Brees for a prototype quarterback. And I wouldnt bank my future on a guy with easily identified deficiencies on the chance that he might be the 1 in 100 exception to the rule.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I really don't see how anyone, including those who don't think Manziel's game will translate to the NFL, can say anything negative about his performance against Duke. He single handedly dragged his team to the win. Evans wasn't a factor accept for conceding penalties.

He made all the throws in that game, and the majority of the incompletions were drops.

I'm not saying Manziel is a sure bet, but to criticise that performance is rediculous. I'd rather have Manziel than Bortles in a clutch situation. Neither in my opinion are as good as Teddy, but Manziel is the better of the 2

Quote:C'mon you guys. You are smarter than this. Think this thru a little more. First off, you portray this to be the norm when it is the exception. Secondly, look at the position he's in. His defense cannot stop Alabama. They're like Sherman thru Georgia. Heck, Duke didn't have to punt all game in the bowl. It's 3rd and 8. You escape the clutches of a 275 lb. lineman. Two of the tallest players in the area are his guys. What do you do? Take the sack. Throw it away and get a grounding penalty? He throws the ball with an arc.....not a laser.....so that the ball was coming down more vertically giving his taller receivers a better chance. Pretty much a jump ball. It was a MEASURED risk that he had to take against the Alabama offense......yeah, I said offense. He was playing against the offense because he knew they would score almost every time. So you HAVE to take risks in that situation if you are to have any plays at all. Why not post videos of all the great pinpoint passes he made that game. Maybe that doesn't fit the agenda. When you have a crappy defense watching your back, you have to have a gunslinger mentality if you are to have any success at all. You must score TDs almost every possession.....and against some of the best defenses in college football. Out.

I'm going to brush over that insult for a second.  This was not a great play by Manziel in any regard.  There was no measured risk.  This was an idiotic risk that 9 times out of ten will result horribly for your team.  He threw the ball up there with no regard for its security. He got LUCKY.  I legitamitely cannot understand how some of you Manziel jock-hangers look at that play and act like he did something great.

That said, I never stated it was the rule rather than the exception.  I said that won't work in the NFL, and if he continues that sort of foolishness on a regular basis he won't last.  Manziel can be very good.  But that doesn't mean we have to act like every lucky play where he makes a bad decision is a check in the positives column for him.

Quote:I'm going to brush over that insult for a second.  This was not a great play by Manziel in any regard.  There was no measured risk.  This was an idiotic risk that 9 times out of ten will result horribly for your team.  He threw the ball up there with no regard for its security. He got LUCKY.  I legitamitely cannot understand how some of you Manziel jock-hangers look at that play and act like he did something great.

That said, I never stated it was the rule rather than the exception.  I said that won't work in the NFL, and if he continues that sort of foolishness on a regular basis he won't last.  Manziel can be very good.  But that doesn't mean we have to act like every lucky play where he makes a bad decision is a check in the positives column for him.

First off, no insult intended. Secondly, I'm far from a "Manziel jock-hanger" as you say. At this point, I would be equally happy with Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Clowney and Watkins. Whatever Dave decides, I'm good. I disagree most ardently....it is a measured risk. Although you didn't say it's the rule and not the exception, it is implied by many. Can he get away with that kind of throw in the pros? Of course not. And I highly doubt he will. In that situation, it's not the pros. It's shorter college defenders. One thing about luck that I've learned from semi-pro tennis. If luck keeps happening over and over again......I got news for ya.....it ain't luck. Peace out.

Quote:I'm not saying Manziel is a sure bet, but to criticise that performance is rediculous. I'd rather have Manziel than Bortles in a clutch situation. Neither in my opinion are as good as Teddy, but Manziel is the better of the 2

I actually think Bortles and Manziel are both more clutch than Teddy.