Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Seattle had the leagues #1 ranked defense in 2013, so did people overrate Bradley?

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 01:36 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Curious to see the responses here. 

When Bradley was hired (as HC of the Jags) , a few people cited that they would caution against giving Bradley too much credit for Seattle's defense's uprising, since the defense didn't really start getting good until Pete Carroll came aboard. 

This past year, without Bradley Seattle's defense didn't miss a beat, winding up ranked as the league's best with Dan Quinn being in his first season as Seattle's DC. Also this past year, the Jaguars defense gave up a franchise record amount of points. Not that I expected miracles for his first year here, but 450 points given up certainly wasn't an example of any "overachievement" by this D. 

Now, it seems like another team may be following in the same footsteps as we did, as Tennessee is reportedly very interested in interviewing Dan Quinn for its head coach opening. 

Could be monkey see-monkey do on the part of the Titans, and I for one would rather them go this route rather than hire someone with actual HC experience. I think Tennessee could be setting themselves up for a mistake with that hire, should it happen. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd say so.  I know one guy who had Gus Bradley as his sixth choice.  Can't believe someone would overrate him so much that he'd be his sixth choice.  

I mean it couldn't possibly be that they found a good replacement for Bradley.  Or that players mean so much more than coordinators.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 01:44 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I'd say so.  I know one guy who had Gus Bradley as his sixth choice.  Can't believe someone would overrate him so much that he'd be his sixth choice.  

I mean it couldn't possibly be that they found a good replacement for Bradley.  Or that players mean so much more than coordinators.  

Except Seattles defense did show improvement shortly after Carroll came aboard. Our defense actually regressed in Bradley's first year. Granted some of that is with the young secondary, but you'd think a really good defensive mind could have had this D at least overachieving some. Finishing with total points in the sub 400 range would have seemed like a respectable amount for the first year, in this situation. 

Perhaps it points more to Babich than Bradley. Thats what I'd like to think the issue is. 

To be honest. I don't know. I am trying to figure out just who should be getting the bulk of Seattles credit, and just who should be getting the bulk of the Jags blame for the level of bad the defense was this season. 

Quote:Curious to see the responses here. 

When Bradley was hired (as HC of the Jags) , a few people cited that they would caution against giving Bradley too much credit for Seattle's defense's uprising, since the defense didn't really start getting good until Pete Carroll came aboard. 

This past year, without Bradley Seattle's defense didn't miss a beat, winding up ranked as the league's best with Dan Quinn being in his first season as Seattle's DC. Also this past year, the Jaguars defense gave up a franchise record amount of points. Not that I expected miracles for his first year here, but 450 points given up certainly wasn't an example of any "overachievement" by this D. 

Now, it seems like another team may be following in the same footsteps as we did, as Tennessee is reportedly very interested in interviewing Dan Quinn for its head coach opening. 

Could be monkey see-monkey do on the part of the Titans, and I for one would rather them go this route rather than hire someone with actual HC experience. I think Tennessee could be setting themselves up for a mistake with that hire, should it happen. 

The quality of a head coach doesn't have anything to do with their success as a coordinator. Hiring guys because they coached a league leading unit is almost always a mistake.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 01:47 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:The quality of a head coach doesn't have anything to do with their success as a coordinator. Hiring guys because they coached a league leading unit is almost always a mistake.

I agree....and thats why - if you notice - I cite up there that I am happy that Tennessee might be going down that exact path.....just don't let them finish TOO awful in 2014, don't want them getting Winston. I'm hoping for a nice status quo of 6-10 for Tennessee to keep them in football purgatory. 

Quote:I agree....and thats why - if you notice - I cite up there that I am happy that Tennessee might be going down that exact path.....just don't let them finish TOO awful in 2014, don't want them getting Winston. I'm hoping for a nice status quo of 6-10 for Tennessee to keep them in football purgatory. 

It's going to be hard for them to be that bad unless the Jaguars improve a lot, and so far I'm doubting that will happen.

The titans should have swept the Jaguars this year, and they likely should next year, too. Unless the Jaguars land a true elite QB, that is.

Dan Quinn is actually a very good coach as well.  Florida's defense was one of the best in the country when he was there.

I'd say that the defense didn't regress, actually.  Yes, we gave up more points per drive.  But we also gave up less yards per drive by 1.2.  (We only gave up .11 more points per drive).  We also allowed scores on a lower percent of drives.  Overall if anything the defense remained about the same despite plugging in rookies and mostly C-grade Free Agents.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Coaches make a lot of difference to a team..but my gosh the whole Seattle team is loaded. Best secondary in the league and they have pass rushers coming off the bench like a hockey team. I believe almost anyone would be successful there
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

He improved their defense over 4 years he was the coordinator there. Nobody overrated anything. Bradley is a good coach.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

They also played Jacksonville, Houston, Tennessee, Tampa, Minnesota, Atlanta, and the Giants this year.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Another day - another bad coaching hire thread. 

You're on a roll, TMD. 

Geez man, it is getting a little ridiculous. 

Just wait a couple years. 

Quote:They also played Jacksonville, Houston, Tennessee, Tampa, Minnesota, Atlanta, and the Giants this year.

lol, those were definately some stat padding teams to play against for sure. I see several of the teams that went 0fer to start the season, at least 1 of them all the way thru the 1st half. YIKES!!!!!!

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Maybe Bradley is going to be a coach that was better as a HC than he was as a coordinator? The Peter Principle can't always be correct.

The horrible lack of offense weighs heavily on the defense as well!

Stop acting paranoid TMD.

It was his first season as a HC and he managed to get a 4-12 record out of a team that started 0-8 and was labeled "The worst team in NFL history." and he managed to get a few wins, and a 3 game winning streak WITHOUT Blackmon, Joeckel, and a subpar MJD.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 09:02 PM by badger.)

I guess we should fire him

Players, not plays.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Finding new and creative ways to discredit the Jags and prop all others on a thread by thread basis. :down:

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.