Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Seattle had the leagues #1 ranked defense in 2013, so did people overrate Bradley?

And in other news... Dirk Koetter deep sixes the Atlanta offense.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

As long as Pete Carroll is there the defense in Seattle will be good. 

Pete Carroll is a defensive coach and served as a defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach several times before getting his first head coaching job. He was mentored under Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator when he was first getting into coaching  and many of his defensive philosophies come from that. He is the real mastermind behind that defense.

People look at USC and assume Pete is an offensive coach because they had high powered offenses but that was a result of very good recruits (Leinart, Bush, Lendale White, etc) and good offensive coordinators (Norm Chow).  Somehow the star defensive talent USC produced gets lost in the shuffle. USC had Clay Matthews, Troy Polamalu, Taylor Mays, Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga, Lofa Tatupu, etc during Carrolls tenure. 

Not to knock on Dan Quinn or Gus Bradley but the defensive coordinator position may be replaceable in Seattle simply because Carroll is the one truly calling the shots.

Quote:Curious to see the responses here. 

Your only purpose is to knock Gus. Nothing more. This statistic proves nothing. 

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2014, 08:17 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Curious to see the responses here. 

1. When Bradley was hired (as HC of the Jags) , a few people cited that they would caution against giving Bradley too much credit for Seattle's defense's uprising, since the defense didn't really start getting good until Pete Carroll came aboard. 

2. This past year, without Bradley Seattle's defense didn't miss a beat, winding up ranked as the league's best with Dan Quinn being in his first season as Seattle's DC. Also this past year, the Jaguars defense gave up a franchise record amount of points. Not that I expected miracles for his first year here, but 450 points given up certainly wasn't an example of any "overachievement" by this D. 

1.  You indicate improvement with Seattle didn't come until Carroll arrived.  You sure it wasn't due to the arrival of Earl Thomas and Cam Chancellor, who also arrived in 2010?  Yes, Carroll is known as a defensive guy, but he's had some mediocre defenses during his day.  http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/CarrPe0.htm/  In fact, Seattle gave up more points in Carroll's first year than they did in Bradley's first year as Seahawks defensive coordinator, and ranked lower in overall defense.

2.  Yes, Bradley left Seattle and they didn't miss a beat.  But that doesn't mean Bradley was ineffective or a non factor as a coordinator.  In fact, Seattle added Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett.  They arguably have better defensive personnel this year than they did last year.

The bottom line is Bradley and company need to get better, but your reasoning above is no indicia that Bradley is somehow lacking as a coach.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

This is just another way to knock the Bradley hire...everyone can see right through it, TMD.  Nobody was basing Bradley's evaluation on his DC stint in Seattle.  HC and DC are night and day.

Seattle has a slew of defensive talent on their team.

Jacksonville does not. 

Coach's are important, but the greatest coaches would be nothing without their players that they themselves had to bring together.

Quote:Seattle has a slew of defensive talent on their team.

Jacksonville does not. 

Coach's are important, but the greatest coaches would be nothing without their players that they themselves had to bring together.

I don't think you understand.  Bradley should immediately turn everyone on that team into All-Pros, and he didn't.  He sucks.

Quote:1.  You indicate improvement with Seattle didn't come until Carroll arrived.  You sure it wasn't due to the arrival of Earl Thomas and Cam Chancellor, who also arrived in 2010?  Yes, Carroll is known as a defensive guy, but he's had some mediocre defenses during his day.  http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/CarrPe0.htm/  In fact, Seattle gave up more points in Carroll's first year than they did in Bradley's first year as Seahawks defensive coordinator, and ranked lower in overall defense.

2.  Yes, Bradley left Seattle and they didn't miss a beat.  But that doesn't mean Bradley was ineffective or a non factor as a coordinator.  In fact, Seattle added Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett.  They arguably have better defensive personnel this year than they did last year.

The bottom line is Bradley and company need to get better, but your reasoning above is no indicia that Bradley is somehow lacking as a coach.

What I found interesting in yesterday's Seattle-New Orleans game is that when playing against a New Orleans Offensive Line that has demonstrable Left Tackle issues, there really wasn't a lot of pressure on Brees by the Seattle Defense. Was this by design or by under performing?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2014, 10:53 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:What I found interesting in yesterday's Seattle-New Orleans game is that when playing against a New Orleans Offensive Line that has demonstrable Left Tackle issues, there really wasn't a lot of pressure on Brees by the Seattle Defense. Was this by design or by under performing?

Thats true. I'm sure there will be excusies for this though. 

Seattle better hope Carolina beats San Fran, because thats the only chance Seattle has in making the SB this season. San Fran beats Seattle next week, otherwise. 

Ya there wasnt alot of pressure on Brees until they knocked the crap out of him and he fumbled.

Quote:Thats true. I'm sure there will be excusies for this though.

Seattle better hope Carolina beats San Fran, because thats the only chance Seattle has in making the SB this season. San Fran beats Seattle next week, otherwise.

Perhaps you missed their first game in Seattle

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2014, 11:31 AM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

No way.  I think Seattle can win either game.  They can lose either one, but Seattle at home doesn't lose very often.  

You'll probably change your tune if Collin K. doesn't have a great game today.  Kaepernick just isn't that good.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I don't think you understand.  Bradley should immediately turn everyone on that team into All-Pros, and he didn't.  He sucks.

I see. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:I am trying to figure out just who should be getting the bulk of Seattles credit

Sherman, Thomas, Bennett, Avril, Wagner, Irvin, Chancellor and the list goes on. Not only have they drafted exceptionally well, they were able to snag guys like Bennett and Avril. They've put a lot of eggs in the defensive basket and it has worked out for them. Case in point, the game yesterday. 

I think the answer to your question is the leadership adding the right guys. Which includes Carroll and the GM and whoever else they let have input on those decisions. However, I don't think it's a case of earth shatteringly great coaching.

In all fairness to Bradley, the defense here could have been average by just keeping our players from the prior year but those guys hit thier ceiling and had to go.   We went with a youth movement so a dropoff in year1 talent was expected. 

Quote:To be honest. I don't know
finally something we agree on

What?   Why would anyone here want to make an excuse for Seattle not pressuring Brees?  

Are you really scrambling this desperately to manufacture a shot to take at Gus?   

Settle down.  Or take the issue to Seattle's board. 

Quote:What?   Why would anyone here want to make an excuse for Seattle not pressuring Brees?  

Are you really scrambling this desperately to manufacture a shot to take at Gus?   

Settle down.  Or take the issue to Seattle's board. 

Shot at Gus, or shot at Seattle?? Gus ain't at Seattle no more....

San Fran will win Sunday. I can't wait. Seattle is a fraud. 

Quote:Shot at Gus, or shot at Seattle?? Gus ain't at Seattle no more....

Oh - now you want to pretend this thread doesn't have Gus in the  title?  Hilarious.  

Quote:Shot at Gus, or shot at Seattle?? Gus ain't at Seattle no more....

How is a number 1 seed in the nfl a fraud? This isnt college football.