Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who should our FA targets be?

I have been looking at the free agent list for this offseason and there could be some very intriguing players out there who could help us out at some key positions. First of all, I would re-sign two of our own players. Prince Amukamura has played well when he's healthy and I think it would be in our benefit to bring him back as solid depth. I don't think he will cost much and the value is there. Jonathan Cyprien is a player I was ready to get rid of at the start of the season, but he has improved significantly this season and I am now in favor of re-signing him. He shouldn't cost much at all and it seems like he is finally turning into the player we hoped he would be.

Here are the guys I would classify as priority targets.....

1. Chandler Jones, DE

2. Kevin Zeitler, OG

3. Jason Pierre Paul, DE

4. Stephon Gilmore, CB

5. Calais Campbell, DT

Jones is a top notch pass rusher off the edge and pairing him opposite a guy like Yannick could really boost our pass rush. Jones is still young and may have not even reached his peak yet. 

We have all kinds of problems at OG and Kevin Zeitler is one of the few young interior offensive linemen in the league who is equally skilled at pass protecting as he is run blocking. He would give us an immediate boost along the offensive line. 

J.P.P. has come back strong after losing part of his hand and has shown that he can still rush the passer. I like him alot, just not as much as Chandler Jones. He would be a nice consolation if we failed to land my first choice though. 

Stephon Gillmore has great ball skills and length to compete with top WR's. He has been consistent over the years and is still young as well. He would look awfully nice, paired opposite Ramsey in the starting lineup. 

Calais Campbell has been one of the premier 3-4 DE's in the NFL. His numbers are a bit down this year and teams may take that as a sign he has lost a step. I believe by kicking him inside in a 4-3 scheme and sticking him next to Malik Jackson, his numbers could go way up. 

Guys who I would definitely have interest in for roles on the team

Melenik Watson, RT

Melvin Ingram, DE

Patrick Dimarco, FB

Zack Line, FB

Watson should be a big upgrade over Parnell. He is a solid pass protector and a much improved run blocker. He is young and started late into the game of football, so he is still progressing as a player. He has a lot of upside and could be a valuable swing Tackle as well. 

Ingram hasn't been as consistent as Jones or J.P.P. and has only played in a 3-4 scheme on the pro level, but he shows a lot of pass rush ability and I wouldn't be opposed to signing him, should we miss out on my top 2 pass rushers, as long as the price was right.

Dimarco and Line are both good, young lead blockers which is something this team has needed for a while. Neither should cost much and could be a great addition. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2016, 04:42 PM by JackCity.)

The players we need via draft/free agency are:

1)A big nasty guard+right tackle

2) A big play running back who can catch passes.

3) Edge rusher

4) Fullback

I'm gonna give my honest opinion. I feel like we have all the talent we need except for RB and QB.

I'm probably the only one that is just fine with out offensive line and entire defense.

Quote:The players we need via draft/free agency are:

1)A big nasty guard+right tackle

2) A big play running back who can catch passes.

3) Edge rusher

4) Fullback

I agree with the positions. Just need to put some realistic names to them

Is Chandler Jones a FA??

I am not a fan at all of how Chandler Jones has utterly quit in Cleveland. 

Quote:Is Chandler Jones a FA??

Yes.

Quote:I am not a fan at all of how Chandler Jones has utterly quit in Cleveland. 

Huh? Chandler Jones plays for the Arizona Cardinals. I believe you are thinking of Jamie Collins. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jaguars become a major player for Lions 2017 FA RG Larry Warford or RT Riley Reiff if one or both hit the open market.  

Quote:I wouldn't be surprised if the Jaguars become a major player for Lions 2017 FA RG Larry Warford or RT Riley Reiff if one or both hit the open market.  

I'm not too high on either one. They're way better pass protectors than they are run blockers. We need guys who excel at run blocking.

Quote:I'm not too high on either one. They're way better pass protectors than they are run blockers. We need guys who excel at run blocking.

I respectively disagree that both are better pass blockers than run blockers.   I think both are slightly better at run blocking.  

The Lions three greatest run block issues this season have been the TE blocking of Eric Ebron  ( he's made substantial progress as a receiver though ),   the loss of RB Ameer Abdullah in game # 2 vs. Tennessee,  and the all around inconsistencies at the LG position,.  Though Reiff had a nightmarish all around game in Houston back in October when he was playing with an illness,  overall he's been a huge upgrade at RT compared to what the Lions had at the position in most of the games the previous 2 seasons.

- Leary

- Watson

- Jones

- Poe

Draft a DE if Jones cannot be added

Also draft a RB & FB

Others could be added as cap casualties occur

Quote:Huh? Chandler Jones plays for the Arizona Cardinals. I believe you are thinking of Jamie Collins. 
Oh yeah...should read more carefully next time...

Nothing is needed over a qb. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2016, 02:44 AM by JagsFanJay.)

Quote:Nothing is needed over a qb. 

Really good QB's just don't appear out of thin air and I don't see spending a lot of money on a guy who is probably no better than what we have. I'm reserved to taking a mid to low round QB in the draft and then having a 3 way open competition for the starting job between Bortles, Allen and the new rookie. Then I seriously look at QB's from the 2018 class, because there should be some good ones. It's a much deeper QB class then we will have in the upcoming draft. 

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2016, 04:13 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

Quote:Really good QB's just don't appear out of thin air and I don't see spending a lot of money on a guy who is probably no better than what we have. I'm reserved to taking a mid to low round QB in the draft and then having a 3 way open competition for the starting job between Bortles, Allen and the new rookie. Then I seriously look at QB's from the 2018 class, because there should be some good ones. It's a much deeper QB class then we will have in the upcoming draft. 
Negative.  My reasoning is.  What ya just stated but draft wise.  The majority of qbs from draft don't pan out.  So rather throw away the first rounder and a later pick for a qb like cousins or grop or grab Tyrod.   No rookie in 18 out of the gate will play like any of them.  So ya waste 17 and 18 so we hit the playoffs in 2019 then?  Isn't 9 years long enough?  It has to be 11?   coincidentally what we lost by to NE back in 07? 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:Negative.  My reasoning is.  What ya just stated but draft wise.  The majority of qbs from draft don't pan out.  So rather throw away the first rounder and a later pick for a qb like cousins or grop or grab Tyrod.   No rookie in 18 out of the gate will play like any of them.  So ya waste 17 and 18 so we hit the playoffs in 2019 then?  Isn't 9 years long enough?  It has to be 11?   coincidentally what we lost by to NE back in 07? 

Cousins would cost us a minimum of 2 first round picks and that is only if Washington gives him a Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag. If they give him an Exclusive Franchise Tag we wouldn't be able to touch him. Only his original team can even negotiate with him. 

As for Tyrod, he'd only be a band aid on a gaping wound. He has a low ceiling and has already peaked as an average, run of the mill QB. He's as good as he'll ever be at this point in time. I'd rather wait until the 2018 draft and see if we could get someone who is better than average. 

Cousins would cost us a minimum of 2 first round picks, because Washington will tag him.

Quote:Really good QB's just don't appear out of thin air and I don't see spending a lot of money on a guy who is probably no better than what we have. I'm reserved to taking a mid to low round QB in the draft and then having a 3 way open competition for the starting job between Bortles, Allen and the new rookie. Then I seriously look at QB's from the 2018 class, because there should be some good ones. It's a much deeper QB class then we will have in the upcoming draft. 
There's zero chance our QB depth chart next year is going to be Bortles and two low round QBs with zero experience, especially with an eye toward cutting two of those 3 for a 2018 QB in your scenario.

We will either get a veteran (most likely) or a high round draft pick (possibly if Dave is gone). 

Quote:There's zero chance our QB depth chart next year is going to be Bortles and two low round QBs with zero experience, especially with an eye toward cutting two of those 3 for a 2018 QB in your scenario.

We will either get a veteran (most likely) or a high round draft pick (possibly if Dave is gone). 

There is no veteran QB's on the UFA list worthy of signing a contract for what they will cost us and if you think we'll spend a high round pick on a QB, I believe you will be very sad after the draft. 

Quote:There is no veteran QB's on the UFA list worthy of signing a contract for what they will cost us and if you think we'll spend a high round pick on a QB, I believe you will be very sad after the draft. 
I don't think we draft a QB high, but it is more likely than having our QB depth chart next year be Bortles, Allen, and another late round rookie QB.