Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Redskins hire Jay Gruden per Adam Schefter

Schefter is reporting that the Redskins have hired Jay Gruden as the new head coach, replacing Shanahan. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Good hire.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Now if only I knew how this would make the Jaguars perennial losers for the next decade..... Tongue

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Not a fan of Jay.

Quote:Not a fan of Jay.
He made Andy Dalton look good.... Now he gets RG3. I think it's a great hire.

Quote:Now if only I knew how this would make the Jaguars perennial losers for the next decade..... Tongue
It's coming. Just wait.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:He made Andy Dalton look good.... Now he gets RG3. I think it's a great hire.

Dalton is an average QB and sorta held his team back a lot of times. He was a nightmare to watch in the playoff game. I will say that Gruden probably got all he could out of Dalton, though.

I'm skeptical with both Jay and RG3, but hey, nothing's for certain at this point.

Quote:Dalton is an average QB and sorta held his team back a lot of times. He was a nightmare to watch in the playoff game. I will say that Gruden probably got all he could out of Dalton, though.

I'm skeptical with both Jay and RG3, but hey, nothing's for certain at this point.
That's my point. If he can make Andy Dalton look good enough to win 11 games and take them to the playoffs 3 straight years, he can make RG3 look like Randall Cunningham.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2014, 11:44 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Gruden's probably the best they could do. I still find it hard to believe that the Redskins or Cowboys will have any real success until their owner's wise up and stop being egomaniacs. Hire the absolute best football people and let them do their jobs without your meddling. (if possible). 

Quote:That's my point. If he can make Andy Dalton look good enough to win 11 games and take them to the playoffs 3 straight years, he can make RG3 look like Randall Cunningham.

Well, to be honest, I don't think "he" made Andy Dalton anything. The Bengals have a good amount of talent on offense. I do believe Dalton chokes in the playoff setting though. 

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2014, 12:57 PM by Kotite.)

I don't foresee much changing regardless of who they hire. That franchise has been a mess for some time. There are questions on the field and in the locker room about their franchise QB, they have cap issues and they don't have a 1st round pick this year.
Only a chump boos the home team!

It sounds eerily similar to when Mularkey was hired. The stats seem to support him being a good hire, but virtually all of the Bengals fans are volunteering to drive to the dudes house and pack his bags for him so he can get out of there faster.

The stats never favored Mularkey's hire.  I'm not sure how you'd think they would.  2 points in the playoffs.  

I feel this is another case of Dan Snyder blindly seeking one candidate he likes.  The news media here mentioned Gruden as a top candidate, and lo and behold.  He was hired.  It was like when they hired Shanahan.  When they hired Jim Zorn, I got the feeling he wouldn't last long, because as soon as a candidate Chainsaw Dan liked became available and willing, Zorn would be out the door.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Gruden's probably the best they could do. I still find it hard to believe that the Redskins or Cowboys will have any real success until their owner's wise up and stop being egomaniacs. Hire the absolute best football people and let them do their jobs without your meddling. (if possible). 
It took Al Davis' death to get Oakland (mostly) out of this pattern. Agreed completely on the Redskins, though. Bruce Allen says that he has final say over personnel, but just wait until he tries to cut or trade one of "Snyder's boys". He'll be blocked and told that the player in question will remain on the team, or Allen will be off of it. Paying Shanahan $7M to spend the year watching from home is as strong of evidence as any that any coach or GM who messes with a Snyder favorite is in for an ugly divorce.

Quote:I feel this is another case of Dan Snyder blindly seeking one candidate he likes.  The news media here mentioned Gruden as a top candidate, and lo and behold.  He was hired.  It was like when they hired Shanahan.  When they hired Jim Zorn, I got the feeling he wouldn't last long, because as soon as a candidate Chainsaw Dan liked became available and willing, Zorn would be out the door.
I see it differently. The Gruden hire feels like a Zorn hire to me. Look at recent history in Washington. Gibbs to Zorn to Shanahan to Gruden. Strong coach who demands respect and control to weaker hire that can be manipulated by Snyder more easily. Gruden's resume isn't even close to Shanahan's, and I believe that was a requirement of Snyder's. When Mike Shanahan tells a player that he's benched, the player is benched. I doubt that Gruden, a first-time head coach, has it in him to stick to his guns when Snyder asks why RG3 isn't playing. He'll cave in the interest of job security, just like Snyder wants.

Quote:...

I see it differently. The Gruden hire feels like a Zorn hire to me. Look at recent history in Washington. Gibbs to Zorn to Shanahan to Gruden. Strong coach who demands respect and control to weaker hire that can be manipulated by Snyder more easily. Gruden's resume isn't even close to Shanahan's, and I believe that was a requirement of Snyder's. When Mike Shanahan tells a player that he's benched, the player is benched. I doubt that Gruden, a first-time head coach, has it in him to stick to his guns when Snyder asks why RG3 isn't playing. He'll cave in the interest of job security, just like Snyder wants.

That Zorn hire was so odd though. The guy gets brought in to interview for the OC job and gets hired without a Head Coach in place. Once the team can't find themselves a header, they turn around and hand Zorn the Head Coaching job. Just strange.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:The stats never favored Mularkey's hire.  I'm not sure how you'd think they would.  2 points in the playoffs.  

This ^^^^

Mularkey was a garbage hire no ifs, ands, buts, or excuses. 

Quote:That Zorn hire was so odd though. The guy gets brought in to interview for the OC job and gets hired without a Head Coach in place. Once the team can't find themselves a header, they turn around and hand Zorn the Head Coaching job. Just strange.
I'll give you that. I'm not convinced that Snyder ever wanted Zorn to be his head coach in the first place. Zorn was, as I recall, something of a Plan Z after Snyder decided that he didn't want Gregg Williams running the show and couldn't get significant interest from anyone more appealing (because, really, who wants to follow Joe Gibbs and work for Dan Snyder?). Zorn's "gutless puppet" image wasn't helped by the fact that Snyder and Vinny Cerrato basically hired all of his assistants for him, without much input from Zorn, and ultimately made him choose between giving up playcalling to a guy who'd been there all of two weeks or be fired with cause.

Gruden has a slight advantage in that it seems Snyder actually wanted him, or at least didn't not want him. It is similar, though, in that Snyder has hired a young offensive coach without much of a resume after a couple of higher-profile coaches spurned him. Even more telling, though, is that Gruden will reportedly be keeping Jim Haslett as the offensive coordinator, and promoting an existing offensive assistant to offensive coordinator. Would a new coach who truly has the authority to hire his own assistants make holdovers from an abject failure of a regime into his coordinators?

Quote:I'll give you that. I'm not convinced that Snyder ever wanted Zorn to be his head coach in the first place. Zorn was, as I recall, something of a Plan Z after Snyder decided that he didn't want Gregg Williams running the show and couldn't get significant interest from anyone more appealing (because, really, who wants to follow Joe Gibbs and work for Dan Snyder?). Zorn's "gutless puppet" image wasn't helped by the fact that Snyder and Vinny Cerrato basically hired all of his assistants for him, without much input from Zorn, and ultimately made him choose between giving up playcalling to a guy who'd been there all of two weeks or be fired with cause.

Gruden has a slight advantage in that it seems Snyder actually wanted him, or at least didn't not want him. It is similar, though, in that Snyder has hired a young offensive coach without much of a resume after a couple of higher-profile coaches spurned him. Even more telling, though, is that Gruden will reportedly be keeping Jim Haslett as the offensive coordinator, and promoting an existing offensive assistant to offensive coordinator. Would a new coach who truly has the authority to hire his own assistants make holdovers from an abject failure of a regime into his coordinators?

You meant keeping Haslett as DC, not OC, right?

Either way, Haslett's D sucked this year. He should have been dismissed as well. 

Quote:I'll give you that. I'm not convinced that Snyder ever wanted Zorn to be his head coach in the first place. Zorn was, as I recall, something of a Plan Z after Snyder decided that he didn't want Gregg Williams running the show and couldn't get significant interest from anyone more appealing (because, really, who wants to follow Joe Gibbs and work for Dan Snyder?). Zorn's "gutless puppet" image wasn't helped by the fact that Snyder and Vinny Cerrato basically hired all of his assistants for him, without much input from Zorn, and ultimately made him choose between giving up playcalling to a guy who'd been there all of two weeks or be fired with cause.

I was under the impression that the entire Shanahan coaching staff was released along with the Shanaclan.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:You meant keeping Haslett as DC, not OC, right?

Either way, Haslett's D sucked this year. He should have been dismissed as well. 
Yeah, DC, my bad.

Quote:I was under the impression that the entire Shanahan coaching staff was released along with the Shanaclan.
Some were fired outright, but several were retained.