Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Status of Eugene Monroe

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 01:34 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Back when the trade happened, the butt-smoochers were labeling this trade a "rental" (to make Caldwell look better for making the trade) . It was argued by a few that the only way the trade would be considered a rental was if Monroe wound up signing somewhere else in the offseason as a FA. 

So, since trading for Monroe, have the Ravens agreed to any new deal with him yet?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

<div> 
Quote:CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Ravens intend to sign LT Eugene Monroe to a contract extension before he hits free agency.
Ravens RT Michael Oher is also in a contract year, and his future in Baltimore is "very much in doubt," per La Canfora. The Ravens have been pleased with what Monroe has brought on and off the field since acquiring him from Jacksonville prior to October's trade deadline. Baltimore is 5-2 since making the move. Sun, Dec 22, 2013 10:10:00 AM

<div><b>Source:</b> CBS Sports
</div>

<div> 
</div>
</div>
Still Caldwell's only really bad move IMHO.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote: 

<div>
<div> 

<div> 
</div>
</div>

</div>

Disagree 100%. Do you think Caldwell was going pay this guy a max LT contract while keeping his #2 draft pick in a position he hasn't played since high school or whatever it was? The writing was on the wall from the beginning. Don't disagree with the move and it all boils down to how good the players are we draft with those picks.

Quote:Disagree 100%. Do you think Caldwell was going pay this guy a max LT contract while keeping his #2 draft pick in a position he hasn't played since high school or whatever it was? The writing was on the wall from the beginning. Don't disagree with the move and it all boils down to how good the players are we draft with those picks.
The value is not what you want for a guy drafted 8th overall, but I agree, if Caldwell finds 2 even solid players, it will be fine as long as Joeckel is better than Monroe.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:The value is not what you want for a guy drafted 8th overall, but I agree, if Caldwell finds 2 even solid players, it will be fine as long as Joeckel is better than Monroe.

It's not, but it wasn't Caldwell's guy. At the time, nobody even thought Monroe would be there and it was shocking he fell into our lap at #8. Gene Smith almost HAD to pick him.

Quote:Disagree 100%. Do you think Caldwell was going pay this guy a max LT contract while keeping his #2 draft pick in a position he hasn't played since high school or whatever it was? The writing was on the wall from the beginning. Don't disagree with the move and it all boils down to how good the players are we draft with those picks.

Yes, because assuming Joeckel was what we drafted him to be, we would have had two good OTs going forward (and Pasztor could play guard again, so thats 3 good young OL going forward), its not like we can't afford it, we have cap room and Joeckel is not getting paid an awful lot under the new CBA. As it is, we basically traded the 2nd overall pick for a 4th and a 5th, if Caldwell didn't think it could work with both of them on the same team, he should have sacrificed a little value in April and drafted someone else, rather than lose a ton of value in October.

Heck depending on what we are planning on spending in FA, we could have ended up with a compensation pick that isnt a million miles from what we got from Baltimore if we had just let him walk.

Quote:Yes, because assuming Joeckel was what we drafted him to be, we would have had two good OTs going forward (and Pasztor could play guard again, so thats 3 good young OL going forward), its not like we can't afford it, we have cap room and Joeckel is not getting paid an awful lot under the new CBA. As it is, we basically traded the 2nd overall pick for a 4th and a 5th, if Caldwell didn't think it could work with both of them on the same team, he should have sacrificed a little value in April and drafted someone else, rather than lose a ton of value in October.

Heck depending on what we are planning on spending in FA, we could have ended up with a compensation pick that isnt a million miles from what we got from Baltimore if we had just let him walk.

Or we can go another direction and assume Joeckel is 10x better than Monroe.

Quote:Or we can go another direction and assume Joeckel is 10x better than Monroe.

Or we can assume he sucks, its fun to play make believe.

Quote:Or we can assume he sucks, its fun to play make believe.

Not as fun as make believing a guy was "Elite" when he was far from it.

Jumping quickly on a deal only sending minimal return (4th + a 5th) was not the most beneficial way to go about it. There was still roughly 4 weeks of time until the trade deadline. Caldwell could have at least let it played out and tried to build a market before jumping on a bad offer. 

I know who the first guy I am calling if I want to set up a poker game is..... (DC) I'd rob him blind. 

Quote: 

<div>
<div> 

<div> 
</div>
</div>

</div>

I didn't like the move either, the only way I'm really not ok with it is if we spend a 1st this year on another OT which I doubt will happen. If Pasturz can solidify the RT spot it's not that bad of a move. Could be luck, could be Caldwell knew that Pasturz was a guy he could plug in, who knows.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Not as fun as make believing a guy was "Elite" when he was far from it.

Who said he is elite?

He was certainly good for us the last few seasons dont you agree? I haven't watched him in Baltimore, I guess the contract they give him will tell us what they think.

Quote:Who said he is elite?

He was certainly good for us the last few seasons dont you agree? I haven't watched him in Baltimore, I guess the contract they give him will tell us what they think.

Read the thread that took place during the day of the trade. People acted like we were letting Tony Boselli walk.

Yep, Caldwell blew it.  I mean look at all of the other teams that capped off trades before the trade deadline.  The number is stunning.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 02:14 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Yep, Caldwell blew it.  I mean look at all of the other teams that capped off trades before the trade deadline.  The number is stunning.

How many of them actually had a worthy commodity they were ready to deal? 

Quote:How many of them actually had a worthy commodity they were ready to deal?
You tell me. You seem to know all the answers.

One article.

Quote: 

I know who the first guy I am calling if I want to set up a poker game is..... (DC) I'd rob him blind. 

Riiiiggghhhttt. Dave would drop a 20k ante on the table and laugh as you picked up your hat and walked away.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Read the thread that took place during the day of the trade. People acted like we were letting Tony Boselli walk.

A few people exaggerating (and I was probably one myself) doesn't change the fact we let a good young player go for peanuts. People can argue the reasons and semantics all day, but it comes down to losing a guy who could be a real building going forward block for 2 picks which are statistically very unlikely to be the same.

Quote:A few people exaggerating (and I was probably one myself) doesn't change the fact we let a good young player go for peanuts. People can argue the reasons and semantics all day, but it comes down to losing a guy who could be a real building going forward block for 2 picks which are statistically very unlikely to be the same.
You can't judge the trade until you see what happens with a. Monroe and b. the two picks. We can speculate all we want until then.

Quote:Jumping quickly on a deal only sending minimal return (4th + a 5th) was not the most beneficial way to go about it. There was still roughly 4 weeks of time until the trade deadline. Caldwell could have at least let it played out and tried to build a market before jumping on a bad offer. 

Cool story bro.  Too bad that's not what happened.  Tale.  Spin.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."