Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Status of Eugene Monroe

Quote:. Caldwell could have at least let it played out and tried to build a market before jumping on a bad offer. 

or he could've let it play out and the Ravens decide to go in another direction

I would've liked to get more out of the trade, but something is better than nothing

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Cool story bro.  Too bad that's not what happened.  Tale.  Spin.

Ok. You tell me what happened then/  what I said that was inaccurate.

<tumbleweeds>

Quote:or he could've let it play out and the Ravens decide to go in another direction

I would've liked to get more out of the trade, but something is better than nothing

Ohh yeah, he might have jeopardized that 4th & 5th......yikes.....

Quote:Ohh yeah, he might have jeopardized that 4th & 5th......yikes.....
ok so nothing is better than something, got it

Quote:It's not, but it wasn't Caldwell's guy. At the time, nobody even thought Monroe would be there and it was shocking he fell into our lap at #8. Gene Smith almost HAD to pick him.

Not almost. Definitely. At the time, we had no left tackle after letting Khalif Barnes move to Oakland because he sucked. Richard Collier had already retired, so we had no replacement LT either. That,  by far, was our biggest need in the 2009 draft.

What I don't understand is why did David Caldwell want to pick a left tackle knowing Eugene Monroe was good enough for the job?

Quote:Not almost. Definitely. At the time, we had no left tackle after letting Khalif Barnes move to Oakland because he sucked. Richard Collier had already retired, so we had no replacement LT either. That,  by far, was our biggest need in the 2009 draft.

What I don't understand is why did David Caldwell want to pick a left tackle knowing Eugene Monroe was good enough for the job?

Caldwell obviously did not see him as a long-term fixture at LT. Who are we to question his reasons?

Manziel will have a LT who is comfortable blocking for him next yr.

Quote:ok so nothing is better than something, got it

Well, the point is with 4 weeks to go in the trade deadline, not to settle on such a tiny return so quickly. Worse thing that happens is the deal falls through. But considering we weren't talking about high picks to begin with, then the magnitude is lessened. 

Quote:Well, the point is with 4 weeks to go in the trade deadline, not to settle on such a tiny return so quickly. Worse thing that happens is the deal falls through. But considering we weren't talking about high picks to begin with, then the magnitude is lessened.
Isn't entirely possible that if he had been shopping him around even more and had waited too long that another shrewd GM would have sensed some desperation and would have offered even LESS? You know damn well that is well within the realm of possibility.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We have no clue how it would have turned out.  I think the only way this makes sense is if Caldwell knew Monroe was not going to sign with the Jaguars once he hits free agency.

It could have also been his way of grabbing more picks in this draft with the intent of trading up and securing some other player he covets.

I also believe Caldwell knew he had something decent in Pasztor which made Monroe kind of expendable with Joeckel playing left tackle.

I hope that he uses the money he would have had to pay Monroe to go and get a pass rusher or something in free agency.  We should be able to get a guy for a similar contract that Monroe will get, just at a different position.  Perhaps that player is Alex Mack.

So in the end, we are left with Joeckel at LT, Pasztor at RT, a free agent like Mack at Center, and the extra 4th and 5th rounders that we got for Monroe.  I think in this case the trade would have been perfect for us.

If we don't sign anyone worth a damn also don't draft anyone worth a damn with the 4th and 5th rounders, then it's a bad trade.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Well, the point is with 4 weeks to go in the trade deadline, not to settle on such a tiny return so quickly. Worse thing that happens is the deal falls through. But considering we weren't talking about high picks to begin with, then the magnitude is lessened. 

You don't really trade players with only half a year remaining on their contract.  You could, but to think someone would give up a 3rd or better for that is crazy. 

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:You can't judge the trade until you see what happens with a. Monroe and b. the two picks. We can speculate all we want until then.

By that logic, prime Brady for a 7th cant be judged until we have seen the 7th rounder.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 03:51 PM by SuperJville.)

Quote:By that logic, prime Brady for a 7th cant be judged until we have seen the 7th rounder.

Give me one recent example of an offensive lineman getting traded with less than 10 games remaining on his contract for more than what we got.

Just for comparison's sake.

Quote:By that logic, prime Brady for a 7th cant be judged until we have seen the 7th rounder.

Why you mad? What is your agenda here?

...as if Brady and Monroe are even remotely in the same vicinity in terms of talent and value. And what a ridiculous example, by the way.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 04:00 PM by KL1gus.)

Quote:Give me one recent example of an offensive lineman getting traded with less than 10 games remaining on his contract for more than what we got.

Just for comparison's sake.
Jason Peters is the closest comparison. He was traded for the 28th overall pick, a 4th round pick and a conditional 6th.

Quote:Jason Peters is the closest comparison. He was traded for the 28th overall pick, a 4th round pick and a conditional 6th.

I believe Peters had 2-3 Pro Bowls under his belt when he was traded and also had 2 years left on his contract.

He has been to the 6 times in a row (except for 2012 when he was injured).  Many consider him the best LT in the league over the past 5 years or so.

I think Monroe is a fine player, but he's not close to Peters... and neither was his price.

Quote:I believe Peters had 2-3 Pro Bowls under his belt when he was traded and also had 2 years left on his contract.

He has been to the 6 times in a row (except for 2012 when he was injured).  Many consider him the best LT in the league over the past 5 years or so.

I think Monroe is a fine player, but he's not close to Peters... and neither was his price.

When Jason Peters was dealt though, he was either coming off a really bad year or an injury I forget.....I think it was a bad year, in which he gave up like 12 sacks or something....

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 04:18 PM by TravC59.)

Quote: 

<div>
<div> 

<div> 
</div>
</div>
Still Caldwell's only really bad move IMHO.

</div>
When you look at the player that Joeckel was turning into and the emergence of Pasztor as a pretty dang good tackle makes the move look even better. Plus they will save a lot of money, and got much younger. Pasztor is a mean, nasty, good OT.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:When Jason Peters was dealt though, he was either coming off a really bad year or an injury I forget.....I think it was a bad year, in which he gave up like 12 sacks or something....

Not sure, I know he came from 2 straight pro bowls to the Eagles. 

I think we all agree that Peters came with a better contract situation (2 years left) and with 2 pro bowls under his belt.  He ended up having 4 more pro bowls with the Eagles.  He's a different caliber of player than Monroe.

And your guy Andy Reid said ""Jason Peters is the best left tackle in football. He is a powerful and athletic tackle and I have admired his play over the last few years on film."<sup> </sup>

Quote:Not sure, I know he came from 2 straight pro bowls to the Eagles. 

I think we all agree that Peters came with a better contract situation (2 years left) and with 2 pro bowls under his belt.  He ended up having 4 more pro bowls with the Eagles.  He's a different caliber of player than Monroe.

And your guy Andy Reid said ""Jason Peters is the best left tackle in football. He is a powerful and athletic tackle and I have admired his play over the last few years on film."<sup></sup>

If he got a pro bowl in his most recent season before coming to the Eagles, then the pro bowl is an absolute disgrace. The year before coming to the Eagles, Peters gave up 12 sacks. Thats part of the reason Buffalo was willing to part with him. They thought he was on the decline.