Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Status of Eugene Monroe

Quote:If he got a pro bowl in his most recent season before coming to the Eagles, then the pro bowl is an absolute disgrace. The year before coming to the Eagles, Peters gave up 12 sacks. Thats part of the reason Buffalo was willing to part with him. They thought he was on the decline. 

I guess the Bills were wrong.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I guess the Bills were wrong.

Not sure about that. Peters Eagles career overall has not been that great. 

Quote:Not sure about that. Peters Eagles career overall has not been that great. 

You say that because it doesn't fit your agenda.

He has made the pro bowl in every year except 2012 when he was injured with the Eagles.

4 Pro Bowls, including 3 All-Pro selections (2 1st team, 1 2nd team).  Not exactly sure what he could have done differently or better with the Eagles.  He's been nothing but excellent.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

This was the one move that I was not in favor of Caldwell making.

I don't disagree with the premise of the trade, but I felt Monroe merited more compensation.  At least a 3rd and 4th... Or a 2nd by itself.  Heck, I'd have been ok with giving Monroe a 2 year extension and eating the bonus money to help facilitate a 2nd rounder.

My only beef with the Monroe trade was the fact that the value assigned to the tackles by Caldwell is strange.

So you're telling me Luke Joeckel is worth a 2nd pick overall?  Maybe he is. 

But is Monroe, at 26-27 years old, "worth" a 4th and 5th rounder?  Granted, his contract was about to be up... but those 2 are huge differences.  I don't see how Caldwell can value Joeckel as the 2nd pick overall and then give up a pretty talented (albeit not close to elite) LT for a 4th and 5th. 

Perhaps Caldwell really thinks Monroe is very very expendable and just average or slightly above average, whereas Joeckel will be elite.  Not sure.

Quote:You say that because it doesn't fit your agenda.

He has made the pro bowl in every year except 2012 when he was injured with the Eagles.

4 Pro Bowls, including 3 All-Pro selections (2 1st team, 1 2nd team).  Not exactly sure what he could have done differently or better with the Eagles.  He's been nothing but excellent.

I've seen him play. Of his entire Eagles career, he might have had one 8-10 game stretch, a few years ago, where he played really well. 

On top of that, he's got hurt a few times (Achilles) which I am sure hasn't helped his cause. 

He's still living off of his name/ rep in Buffalo. 

Quote:I've seen him play. Of his entire Eagles career, he might have had one 8-10 game stretch, a few years ago, where he played really well. 

On top of that, he's got hurt a few times (Achilles) which I am sure hasn't helped his cause. 

He's still living off of his name/ rep in Buffalo. 

Like I said, he's missed one full year with an injury.

Other than that he's been very consistent and solid.

Jason Peters is still a top 5 tackle.  He came on strong at the end of this year.

Quote:You say that because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Especially when compared to Monroe's Pro Bowl and All Pro selections... if multiple Pro Bowls and All Pros is "not that great" then what does that say about Monroe using the same "mentality?"

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:By that logic, prime Brady for a 7th cant be judged until we have seen the 7th rounder.

Correct.

I mean it's unlikely.  But what if Jayton Montanning turns out to be a combination of Peyton Manning and Joe Montana and he falls into the 7th because he played in an extremely weak conference, turned down an invite to the combine, and was injured for the last so many games.  He then goes on to be G.O.A.T.  Guess we'd still win if we got Brady though.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

You needed an excuse to do this whole debate again?  It wasn't beaten into the ground enough the first time?

Quote:You needed an excuse to do this whole debate again?  It wasn't beaten into the ground enough the first time?

I guess multiple beatdowns >>>>> getting just one.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I still don't get why Baltimore did that trade. In my mind, they lose either way. At the cost of a Fourth and Fifth round selection that are going to alternate between the 16th and 17th selection in their respective rounds, they either "rented" Monroe for ten games at that price, or they paid the Franchise equivalent of PSL in that it is an extra cost on top of signing Monroe to a Left Tackle Free Agent contract.

And they still didn't make the playoffs!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I still don't get why Baltimore did that trade. In my mind, they lose either way. At the cost of a Fourth and Fifth round selection that are going to alternate between the 16th and 17th selection in their respective rounds, they either "rented" Monroe for ten games at that price, or they paid the Franchise equivalent of PSL in that it is an extra cost on top of signing Monroe to a Left Tackle Free Agent contract.

This is what is called hitting the nail on the head.

Quote:Why you mad? What is your agenda here?

You know what my agenda is, I think it was a bad deal.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 06:45 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:You know what my agenda is, I think it was a bad deal.

People like the above 4 can't see that though. ^^^ 

They either have to slant every move into a positive one for the Jags, or they simply are without a clue and honestly think it was a good deal. Laughing 

Quote:...as if Brady and Monroe are even remotely in the same vicinity in terms of talent and value. And what a ridiculous example, by the way.

But thats what you said. We can't judge until we see the picks. Therefore any pick for player trade cant be judged until we see the result.

Quote:When you look at the player that Joeckel was turning into and the emergence of Pasztor as a pretty dang good tackle makes the move look even better. Plus they will save a lot of money, and got much younger. Pasztor is a mean, nasty, good OT.

Pasztor looked like a mean and nasty OG the season before. He could be the future there too and we would have one less hole to fill.

Quote:I still don't get why Baltimore did that trade. In my mind, they lose either way. At the cost of a Fourth and Fifth round selection that are going to alternate between the 16th and 17th selection in their respective rounds, they either "rented" Monroe for ten games at that price, or they paid the Franchise equivalent of PSL in that it is an extra cost on top of signing Monroe to a Left Tackle Free Agent contract.

You know I never thought of it like that. Still doesn't mean it was a good deal for us though.

Quote:But thats what you said. We can't judge until we see the picks. Therefore any pick for player trade cant be judged until we see the result.

Well ultimately, yes, in the grand scheme of things.

Even if we got the 1st overall pick for Monroe and ended up picking a collossal bust, that same GM would still get fired.

Look, I actually don't care that much about the trade.  In the NFL I think more often than not, trades will be at some kind of fair value.  GMs aren't complete fools. In terms of trade value.

If trades were common with players like Monroe (10 games left on contract, will be a free agent - pretty good but not elite player, never been in the pro bowl in 5 years, widely considered "solid), etc)... and other GMs were getting 1st round picks left and right, yes  I would be mad.

I think he got about what he was going to get.  You won't get a team to trade away their 2nd round pick on Monroe.  People CHERISH draft picks nowadays.  They're cheaper and come with a lot more upside.  You know what you're getting with Monroe.  A pretty good starter.  They ended up trading a 4th and 5th for 10 games.  Now they have to sign him to a big contract.  Good for them.