Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Status of Eugene Monroe

Quote:You know I never thought of it like that. Still doesn't mean it was a good deal for us though.

Just curious... assuming Monroe wasn't going to re-sign with us (it's been reported he wasn't).... what do you think would make it a good deal?  What kind of compensation would you accept for Monroe?

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Regardless of how any of us feel about the trade and the value we received  -  the whole thing may look quite different after we know what type of player(s) we end up with from those picks.

Unfortunately that probably won't be until this time next year or beyond. 

TMD you seem to be in your yearly off season tirade...keep calm and try not to get banned again

Every thread glitter boy starts is intended to take another shot at the team.  That's what real fans do, right chihuahua?

Queue the emoticon filled response talking about how he's living in reality and the rest of us are but kissers.  It's the only thing he's got as he tries to dazzle everyone with his keen intellect.  And if you don't tell him he's smart, don't worry.  The diva will let everyone know he's smart because, well, that's what smart people have to do because others couldn't possibly recognize intellect without being told it exists.

The Eugene Monroe trade is just another example of how he's smarter than everyone else because he personally would have worked the phones to get a better deal once Baltimore came calling.  Of course, his manager at McDonalds won't allow him to have a phone anywhere near the deep fry bins, so he'd have to wait until he's on break, hunt down a pay phone, and hopefully have enough change that he swiped from the neighborhood fountain to call other teams to "cook up" a better deal than Caldwell got (for which he was widely praised by people who actually work in the business, and don't have a name tag pinned to their shirts.) in trade for Monroe.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

What I think is funny is that everyone assumes is that had we not traded him, resigning him was an automatic lock... Ever consider that maybe he would have walked regardless of the $$$ we threw at him to not play in this stinky pile of a 4-12 team ? Maybe he wanted out...

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 10:29 PM by JakobeSVT.)

Sorry double posted...mods please delete.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2014, 12:10 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:What I think is funny is that everyone assumes is that had we not traded him, resigning him was an automatic lock... Ever consider that maybe he would have walked regardless of the $$$ we threw at him to not play in this stinky pile of a 4-12 team ? Maybe he wanted out...

I don't assume the above. I just assume that with 4 weeks left in the trading deadline, we could have worked a better deal than just a 4th and a 5th. I remember like a week after the Monroe trade, a number of teams lost LT's to injury. It would have been a fortuitous spot to have teams then bidding for Monroes services. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj2GrExkfjo

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Hated the trade initially, but I have since warmed up to it. Getting 2 picks for a top 20 tackle that wasn't going to resign with the jaguars anyways is a great deal in hindsight. We still need to see Joeckel out there, but I like Pasztor at RT. Whether or not Monroe would have netted us higher compensation or resigned with us, doesn't nullify the weakness that we have at guard and center. Once monroe was sent packing, it seemed like the offensive lines play got better. Its also just speculation that we could've gone anywhere else to get a "higher" draft pick. I have faith Caldwell will draft successful players with those picks, so I'm happy with the trade now.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote: 

I know who the first guy I am calling if I want to set up a poker game is..... (DC) I'd rob him blind. 

Ahahaha I'm not actually starting to believe you've literally posted over 40,000 times as simply a troll.  There's no way you could be this much a tool.  This is great comedy though.  

Gene's Myth

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2014, 10:01 AM by Deacon.)

Quote:You know I never thought of it like that. Still doesn't mean it was a good deal for us though.

No, it doesn't solidify the deal as "good" for Jacksonville, but it does allow for a little better understanding of the perceived value of the player.

Baltimore traded away two "depth selections" for a player at a position of need with the idea that the position was still going to have to be addressed in the future, whether through additional draft selections or contract money. The way that I view the trade -- at least from Baltimore's perspective -- they used their Fourth and Fifth picks to "trade up" in the draft in order to get a quality Left Tackle. Now, if I was Jacksonville would I have taken a Fourth and a Fifth round pick to swap places with Baltimore in the First Round in the '14 draft? No way can I see that happening, but that analogy is incomplete without considering Monroe and the quality of player that he was. Regardless, I would probably do that trade if it was offered in the Third Round or even the Second, because I can see that compensation making more sense, two picks to entice me to slide back eight to 10 spots. The difference is, in a mid season trade scenario, the teams get to keep their original picks.

Essentially, the Monroe trade gave us either a chance to nab extra depth/headcase/injury/developmental guys or the ammo to move up in the Second and/or Third Rounds and get starter-caliber players; I don't have a problem with that. Did Jacksonville get major return from this trade? No, they didn't but I still feel like they got good value. Honestly, it's just another trade in my eyes.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I miss Monroe. He was stellar. 

Hopefully Caldwell makes the most of these picks he attained.

Quote:But thats what you said. We can't judge until we see the picks. Therefore any pick for player trade cant be judged until we see the result.
So you're going to compare a ridiculous offer to one where MAYBE we could have gotten a LITTLE better. Very 'sensible'.....or not.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

If you find yourself agreeing with TMD, I would reconsider your stance. 

Quote:Ahahaha I'm not actually starting to believe you've literally posted over 40,000 times as simply a troll.  There's no way you could be this much a tool.  This is great comedy though.  

lol, dude was offered a FOURTH & FIFTH rounder and jumped on the deal as if he was offered an RG3 type deal. There was still 4 weeks to go until the trade deadline. The smart thing to do would have been to try and use the Ravens deal to create a market/ bidding war, which may have happened in the ensuing weeks, especially with the injuries that occured to other teams. The only thing one could deduce there is Caldwell felt he just had to jump on that deal because he thought it was just so good and he couldn't risk wasting time. LOL, so my take of Caldwell being a poor poker player is reasonable. 

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2014, 11:36 AM by KL1gus.)

For what it's worth, I remember clearly "anonymous sources" complaining about the low compensation for Monroe. Saying those same sources were ready to pay more for him is a stretch though.

Quote:I still don't get why Baltimore did that trade. In my mind, they lose either way. At the cost of a Fourth and Fifth round selection that are going to alternate between the 16th and 17th selection in their respective rounds, they either "rented" Monroe for ten games at that price, or they paid the Franchise equivalent of PSL in that it is an extra cost on top of signing Monroe to a Left Tackle Free Agent contract.

And they still didn't make the playoffs!

I can't understand why nobody gets this.  I do understand why some people think our GM can fleece another with ease.  It's because they play too much fantasy football.

4th and a 5th for 10 games service keeps getting better and better, especially since they're even higher picks since the Ravens were sent home after game 16.  Truth is, the Ravens got jobbed.

I'm legitimately shocked that TMD is selling this as an "I told you so" thread, even though they're the only ones he starts.

The end results of the teams making the trade shouldn't really determine if the deal was a win or not. It's not like Monroe had a major influence on the Ravens results. The deal should only be evaluated with Monroe's performance.

Quote:lol, dude was offered a FOURTH & FIFTH rounder and jumped on the deal as if he was offered an RG3 type deal. There was still 4 weeks to go until the trade deadline. The smart thing to do would have been to try and use the Ravens deal to create a market/ bidding war, which may have happened in the ensuing weeks, especially with the injuries that occured to other teams. The only thing one could deduce there is Caldwell felt he just had to jump on that deal because he thought it was just so good and he couldn't risk wasting time. LOL, so my take of Caldwell being a poor poker player is reasonable. 

The problem with your line of thinking is three-fold.

First, what if no one counteroffers, and no bidding war ensues?  I'll tell you:  Baltimore's offer becomes a 6th and 7th. 

Second, the more time passes, the less valuable Monroe's services become.  Who's going to give you a 3rd round pick for 9 games?

Third:  Monroe could have gotten hurt while playing for the Jags.  And then we'd have received nothing.  Had that happened, you'd have been the first to blast away at management for not pulling the trigger fast enough.

Quote:The problem with your line of thinking is three-fold.

First, what if no one counteroffers, and no bidding war ensues?  I'll tell you:  Baltimore's offer becomes a 6th and 7th. 

Second, the more time passes, the less valuable Monroe's services become.  Who's going to give you a 3rd round pick for 9 games?

Third:  Monroe could have gotten hurt while playing for the Jags.  And then we'd have received nothing.  Had that happened, you'd have been the first to blast away at management for not pulling the trigger fast enough.

1.) You re-sign Monroe...  Or let him walk if you don't want to pay him.  Sometimes no compensation is better for future bargaining than accepting less value.  This tells future teams not to budge on their offers (especially for a new GM).

2.) I think the majority of teams that would trade for him would do so with a contract extension in mind.  I don't think any team goes into a trade and is like, "Hey, lets rent him and see if we can re-sign him during Free Agency."  The Ravens situation was really strange.  They didn't have the cap money and they were desperate for a tackle for a playoff push.  They decided to gamble that he'd re-sign during Free Agency, and I tend to believe they had some assurances that he would.

3.)  This is a hypothetical.  We could play that all day.