Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Brent Celek blurb relating to Marcedes Lewis....

Ignoring the fact that they drafted Celek's replacement last year :whistling:
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Ignoring the fact that they drafted Celek's replacement last year :whistling:

The Eagles are TE heavy offense. They don't have to get rid of Celek at all. Ertz or no Ertz. 

Lewis isn't going anywhere.  Get over it.

DiRocco - ESPN :

Quote:<span style="margin:0px;background-color:transparent;">...I think the two biggest things I took out of the press conference was that <a class="" href='http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9614/marcedes-lewis'>Marcedes Lewis</a> is going to be back at his $6.</span><span style="margin:0px;background-color:transparent;">7 million salary in 2014....</span>

Caldwell was clear about it a week ago in his presser.   How the iggles deal with Celek has zero bearing on the situation. 

In 99 Kyle Brady got a 5 yr deal worth $14.4M. At the time it was the largest deal for a TE in the league. And he was only a blocking TE. For what its worth..
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Lewis isn't going anywhere.  Get over it.

DiRocco - ESPN :

Caldwell was clear about it a week ago in his presser.   How the iggles deal with Celek has zero bearing on the situation. 

So, since Caldwell has apparently decided on it, then its the right decision? This is exactly the type of attitude that so many on this board express/ possess. 

The example of how the Eagles are handling a similar situation with even a MUCH less paid TE, shows you how foolish it would be fot Caldwell to bring him back at anything over 4 MIL per. 

Quote:In 99 Kyle Brady got a 5 yr deal worth $14.4M. At the time it was the largest deal for a TE in the league. And he was only a blocking TE. For what its worth..

Different era, man. Much more pass heavy league now. The rules favor it. Not comparable. 

Quote:So, since Caldwell has apparently decided on it, then its the right decision? This is exactly the type of attitude that so many on this board express/ possess. 

The example of how the Eagles are handling a similar situation with even a MUCH less paid TE, shows you how foolish it would be fot Caldwell to bring him back at anything over 4 MIL per. 

There you go putting words in my mouth again.  I meant "it's happening and whining won't change it."   

Not "all bow to Caldwell's great decision." And I've said a dozen times in the past year that he's overpaid but valuable to the team.

The Eagles don't have the Jags cap space and are forced to make these types of moves.  The Jags have the luxury of overpaying a guy that will help as an extra O-lineman on 60% of the snaps or more - and still catch something like 45 balls for 700 yards and 6 TDs next year if he's healthy.   Of course that's not worth 6.7 million. But they can afford it for one more year until they have a young replacement on the roster. 

Quote:There you go putting words in my mouth again.  I meant "it's happening and whining won't change it."   

Not "all bow to Caldwell's great decision." And I've said a dozen times in the past year that he's overpaid but valuable to the team.

The Eagles don't have the Jags cap space and are forced to make these types of moves.  The Jags have the luxury of overpaying a guy that will help as an extra O-lineman on 60% of the snaps or more - and still catch something like 45 balls for 700 yards and 6 TDs next year if he's healthy.   Of course that's not worth 6.7 million. But they can afford it for one more year until they have a young replacement on the roster. 

Exactly. The roster remains a work in progress. The Eagles drafted Celek's replacement last year. I would not be surprised if Caldwell drafts Lewis' replacement this year and this is his last year in Jacksonville. 

Quote:There you go putting words in my mouth again.  I meant "it's happening and whining won't change it."   

The Eagles don't have the Jags cap space and are forced to make these types of moves. 

Not really putting words in your mouth, just trying to interpret your sentiment. 

As for the last line thats false. The Eagles are currently 20 MIL under and project to be very close to the Jags number going into the offseason. 

They just understand that paying large money for a TE with his production is stupid. The Jags OTOH, don't seem to see that. 

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM by ukjag34.)

Quote:The Eagles do not have cap issues. 

http://www.eaglescap.com/
 no they may not but the eagles are  more likely to spend big money in fa this year, they have most of the pieces on offense but that defense has been leaking passing yards all year

they have the draft but a pick in the 20s may not give them what they need to sure up that d

they need a pass rusher cornor and jarius byrd would be a good pick up for them at safety 

add if they let riley cooper go wr could be a good pick up for them 

not to mention zach ertz has played well at te and is an able replacement

not to mention nick foles is a 3rd year player and hardly needs veterans around him unlike whatever kid we bring in

and add to that the eagles line has had a year to gel and most likely will not consist of a first year out half the year with an injury at left tackle  a udfa at right possibly 2 rookies and uche

oh and add to that our extra 20 million in cap space

but your right the situations are identical

if people were saying mercedes was not overpaid i'd be right on your bandwagon but all people are saying is one year with 40 mil in cap  some of it you wont use anyway... to bed in rookies... 4.5 mil really is not a big deal

edit just to add in some numbers on cap space from cbs sports 19th december

jags 54 mil 

eagles per your figure 23 ish... 

yeah so thats pretty much identical to the eagles

Quote:Not really putting words in your mouth, just trying to interpret your sentiment. 

As for the last line thats false. The Eagles are currently 20 MIL under and project to be very close to the Jags number going into the offseason. 

They just understand that paying large money for a TE with his production is stupid. The Jags OTOH, don't seem to see that. 

The Eagles will definitely end up having 5 - 8 million less in cap space than the Jags.  Most lists have the Jags as the 2nd best team in terms of cap space and the Eagles 6th or 7th.  

You also have DeSean Jackson due to count 12.5 mil against the cap and he is asking to re-do his contract for more money. 

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philad...s-contract

Quote:The Eagles will definitely end up having 5 - 8 million less in cap space than the Jags.  Most lists have the Jags as the 2nd best team in terms of cap space and the Eagles 6th or 7th.  

You also have DeSean Jackson due to count 12.5 mil against the cap and he is asking to re-do his contract for more money.

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philad...s-contract

DeSean Jackson is an idiot. 

Quote:DeSean Jackson is an idiot. 
Though apparently not as much of an idiot as Blackmon.

Quote:No that would mean that I do not believe in the takes I am offering. 

I 100% believe in the takes I post, and do not post to illicit responses. At all.

You guys just cannot take when someone posts stuff that is different than your opinions, which are usually way too team slanted. 

YOUR 2 posts here in this thread, is doing actually EXACTLY what you are accusing me of. I post a football topic about Marcedes and that situation and you have yet to post anything in this post about the thread topic. Probably because you can't, as I have finally found something that slams the door shut on any Marcedes argument (and that makes you mad) ......but thats no excuse for you to troll the thread. 

The bolded sentence is not true. At all. I can think of several examples where you have posted a thread and come back later to find no response, which prompted you to post a reply to yourself, wondering why nobody has replied.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 03:16 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:The bolded sentence is not true. At all. I can think of several examples where you have posted a thread and come back later to find no response, which prompted you to post a reply to yourself, wondering why nobody has replied.

That doesn't mean/ prove that I don't 100% believe in what I posted as the truth. That just means that maybe I thought no one had seen it yet and it was so good of a point that it should be discussed. 

He is also overpaid, should they cut him if he refuses a paycut?

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Every person on this board, and I mean every single poster, agrees that Marcedes Lewis is overpaid.

So I'm not real sure what the thread or the chest thumping is all about.

Quote:Though apparently not as much of an idiot as Blackmon.

Ok, that made me chuckle.

Quote:Every person on this board, and I mean every single poster, agrees that Marcedes Lewis is overpaid.

So I'm not real sure what the thread or the chest thumping is all about.

Apparently only one poster and one team thinks that that notion to actually keep him despite this is [BLEEP]. 

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 03:59 PM by anonymous2112.)

Quote:Apparently only one poster and one team thinks that that notion to actually keep him despite this is [BLEEP]. 
In an era where you HAVE to pay to the cap, maybe it's our best option.

But who knows, maybe a better alternative will show up.  This stuff ain't written in stone, y'know.

Edit:  SOMEONE will be overpaid.  Unless we're bringing in Rivers, there will probably be more than one player getting a bit more than he's worth.

Quote: 

Edit:  SOMEONE will be overpaid.  Unless we're bringing in Rivers, there will probably be more than one player getting a bit more than he's worth.

I don't mind overpaying actual very good/ elite level players that are top 5 at their positions like Mack, and such. 

I have always had a HUGE problem with overpaying average type players/ production.