Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Most Successful First Season Head Coach?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about all the head coaches who are new to their respective teams. Andy Reid counts here.

Which head coach made the most progress with his team, in your opinion?

Gus Bradley is going to be a great HC IMO, but I think his major strides as a HC will take place next year. 

Andy Reid has shown that he's still Andy Reid. Glad we didn't sign him. He's like Marty Schottenheimer. Always winning in the regular season, always folding in the play-offs.

I think it's between Chip Kelly, Bruce Arians, and Mike McCoy. Mike McCoy is the only one still alive in post-season play, but he took the reigns of a pretty talented Chargers team. Kelly has his best years ahead of him. Don't know much about the Cardinals, but they're on the rise too I think.

I think McCoy's done the best job, especially as of late.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Considering the state of the roster? Kelly

Does JDR count? He went 3-1 and the loss was at New England.

Quote:Considering the state of the roster? Kelly
. Kelly had a ton of talent to work with.

The coaches this year walked into some weird situations, and several of them inherited teams with a good talent base to build on. Andy Reid has a hugely unfair advantage here, because he took over a Chiefs team that was very talented but terribly coached last year (sorry, Romeo). The same could be said for the Chargers, Bears, perhaps even the Cardinals.

That narrows it down to the Eagles, Jags, Bills and Browns. Gus did more than he should have been able to with a roster totally bereft of talented players or capable depth, but the man was still 4-12. Doug Marrone getting the Bills to 6-10 with a roster that's not all that much better, and yearlong injury problems at QB, was about as impressive, if we're being objective about it. Chud got screwed by the Browns, period. They stuck him with a Larry, Moe and Curly as his options at quarterback, then traded away his only competent running back and fired him because, apparently, when you gut a team's roster, that team tends to be terrible.

Which kind of narrows it down to Chip Kelly. There was talent left over in Philly yeah, but not to the extent that there was in KC. Add in that Kelly installed his own read option and a 3-4 defense that looked very different from the wide 9 scheme that Reid favored in Philly, and required very different personnel, and the talent base isn't as huge of an advantage. What really wins it for Kelly is how he adapted his read option to fit the players he has. You'd have expected to see Michael Vick break out in the read option, but instead Kelly tweaked it so that Nick Foles, who's as mobile as a statue, could run it. Any coach can install their own scheme, but Kelly modified his so that Nick Foles and Riley Cooper could be key parts of it, and that's impressive enough to, along with the 10-6 record, make him the best new coach imo.

Quote:. Kelly had a ton of talent to work with.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2014, 08:58 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Does JDR count? He went 3-1 and the loss was at New England.

you and your Broncos.... 

By the way, they could have rested a headset on top of a metal garbage can and set it on the Broncos sideline and that team would have gone 3-1 for the time that John Fox was out. 

Mike McCoy for me.

Quote:Just to be clear, I'm talking about all the head coaches who are new to their respective teams. Andy Reid counts here.

Which head coach made the most progress with his team, in your opinion?

Gus Bradley is going to be a great HC IMO, but I think his major strides as a HC will take place next year. 

Andy Reid has shown that he's still Andy Reid. Glad we didn't sign him. He's like Marty Schottenheimer. Always winning in the regular season, always folding in the play-offs.

I think it's between Chip Kelly, Bruce Arians, and Mike McCoy. Mike McCoy is the only one still alive in post-season play, but he took the reigns of a pretty talented Chargers team. Kelly has his best years ahead of him. Don't know much about the Cardinals, but they're on the rise too I think.

I think McCoy's done the best job, especially as of late.
If you are going to count Andy Reid than he would be my choice.  To take the KC Cheifs from 32nd ranked with only 2 wins to 11 wins (and almost a 12win against the playoff chargers in Overtime when he had only his backups in for the entire game) should leave no one with doubt that he should get the coach of the year award for this season regardless of the huge lead the team blew.

I mean he did lose J. Charles at the start of that game, along with his probowl cb, and then later in the game flowers, and many other key players to injuries (I am not saying the Colts were playing dirty), but as a HC he cant control injuries he can only coach up his backups in case that occurs which he obviously did if you saw the Charges game the previous week.  He shouldve played more conservative with the lead, but he had many critics in Philly for doing just that and knowing how great of a QB Luck is he felt he should remain aggressive.

Chip Kelly also did great in Philadelphia for his first year as a college coach, but he also lost his post season game.

Quote:Does JDR count? He went 3-1 and the loss was at New England.
Jack Del Rio always lost to New England Patriots but he did do okay as the interm head coach.  His defense finished 19th ranked compared to 2nd last year?

Jon Gruden won it all in his first season with Tampa. I think he wins. :whistling:

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:you and your Broncos.... 

By the way, they could have rested a headset on top of a metal garbage can and set it on the Broncos sideline and that team would have gone 3-1 for the time that John Fox was out. 

Naw, I think you would have only been 2-2.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Naw, I think you would have only been 2-2.

uh HA ha..............ha......

Quote:. Kelly had a ton of talent to work with.

Funniest quote of the year so far.

I think it'd be pretty scary to have seen what Kelly would have done his first year if he had a roster full of people he wanted in the first place rather than aquiring that mess.

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2014, 03:02 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Funniest quote of the year so far.

I think it'd be pretty scary to have seen what Kelly would have done his first year if he had a roster full of people he wanted in the first place rather than aquiring that mess.

I know, right?...

I mean, consider in Kelly's FIRST season, with an offensive roster that was without Maclin and had Nick friggin Foles as its starting QB - it totaled 448 points for the regular season! 

If Gus and Fisch presided over that same offensive personnel are they totaling 448 points for the season? Or even 348?? I think thats probably a "hell no!". 

Quote:Funniest quote of the year so far.

they're not loaded, but they have more talent than what you're suggesting

having 3 all pro players on offense is hardly walking into a mess

Quote:I know, right?...

I mean, consider in Kelly's FIRST season, with an offensive roster that was without Maclin and had Nick friggin Foles as its starting QB -
without Maclin? big deal Maclin=Shorts, just a solid #2 WR

Foles>Henne

not saying Fisch could've done better than Kelly, but c'mon, they're much more talented than us

Quote:without Maclin? big deal Maclin=Shorts, just a solid #2 WR

Foles>Henne

not saying Fisch could've done better than Kelly, but c'mon, they're much more talented than us

Uhmmm......they're not "448 to 248" more talented than us.  

As said, I'd doubt Gus & Fisch with that same Eagle offense would have even totaled 350.  

Quote:Jack Del Rio always lost to New England Patriots but he did do okay as the interm head coach.  His defense finished 19th ranked compared to 2nd last year?

In 2012, the Broncos had Von Miller and Champ Bailey every week. In 2013, Miller was suspended the first six weeks and Bailey had a Lisfranc injury. Also, they lost Elvis Dumervil in the offseason.

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2014, 04:02 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:In 2012, the Broncos had Von Miller and Champ Bailey every week. In 2013, Miller was suspended the first six weeks and Bailey had a Lisfranc injury. Also, they lost Elvis Dumervil in the offseason.

Defend the Broncos on the Broncos board! Not here! I hope they lose this week!!! Go Chargers!

Ninja