Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Helmets

Lots of concussions with what appear to be small hits. What can they do to make better helmets? This is getting crazy.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They appear to be small hits to us because we never played football. I think if I played football, I would truly appreciate how big those "small" hits are.

I don't know if this is true, but maybe concussions are like sprained ankles: if you get one, you are more likely to get another.

If a helmet isn't doing its job, why wear them?

Quote:If a helmet isn't doing its job, why wear them?

What many people forget is helmets are doing their job because nobody ever breaks a cranial bone. Imagine how many skull fractures would occur if players did not wear helmets.

Got to Rugby style and people will quit using their helmets to hit.   Use minimal pads.

Quote:They appear to be small hits to us because we never played football. I think if I played football, I would truly appreciate how big those "small" hits are.

I don't know if this is true, but maybe concussions are like sprained ankles: if you get one, you are more likely to get another.

It's very true, especially when the previous one hasn't fully healed before you suffer the next one.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Get rid of the helmets...problem solved.  Heck if you'd even just remove the face mask you'd see a huge difference.  

Quote:Get rid of the helmets...problem solved.  Heck if you'd even just remove the face mask you'd see a huge difference.  

How would removing the face mask reduce the number of concussions? All I see is an increase in broken noses.

Quote:How would removing the face mask reduce the number of concussions? All I see is an increase in broken noses.

Would you use your head as a weapon if you were tackling someone without a helmet? Exactly.

Quote:How would removing the face mask reduce the number of concussions? All I see is an increase in broken noses.

You would see an increase in form tackling instead of the kill shot technique.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:You would see an increase in form tackling instead of the kill shot technique.

Players are taught the right way to tackle. Why they choose not to do it is beyond me.

I think the NFL should do some sports psychology research to find out why players willingly and knowingly use their helmets to hit opponents.

Helmets don't protect against concussions. They prevent bone fracture

Quote:Helmets don't protect against concussions. They prevent bone fracture

There is probably an 11 year old creating something in his parents basement as we speak that will solve the head injury problem in the NFL.

Quote:Players are taught the right way to tackle. Why they choose not to do it is beyond me.

I think the NFL should do some sports psychology research to find out why players willingly and knowingly use their helmets to hit opponents.

There's a number of factors I see.  The helmets often give players the idea that it's OK to let their head drop, the helmets will prevent me from getting injured.  In the heat of the moment its tough not to think that way especially given how far helmet technology has come.  You'll never have a helmet that will prevent concussions in football given all factors (speed/size/momentum/etc) of play.  Secondly have you seen the size of the helmets these days?  Its pretty darn difficult NOT to hit a player with your helmet. Those things are Manning fivehead size big.  If you take away the facemask that would change things considerably in favor of preventing injuries.  Even if they break a few noses...I'll take a busted nose over life altering concussions.

Rid the players of helmets all together and you would see big changes.  It would slow down the game a bit too (not a bad thing) but I don't think it would be enough to effect the quality of play for the fans.

Quote:You would see an increase in form tackling instead of the kill shot technique.
This...

Quote:Would you use your head as a weapon if you were tackling someone without a helmet? Exactly.
and this.

This. ^

Concussions occur from impact. The brain basically gets rattled within the skull.  A helmet won't stop that from happening.  The speed of the collision and the force of impact are the key factors. 

The reason it seems there are more concussions is the incased awareness and stepped up protocol by the league. These concussions always occurred  - they just went unreported and often untreated. 

Exactly my point. If you tackle a guy the right way and players don't wear helmets, CRACK! Cranial bone breaks. Maybe an orbital bone would break too for all I know. Why do people forget about this, knowing of all the bones that break on a football field none of them are cranial bones?

Quote:Players are taught the right way to tackle. Why they choose not to do it is beyond me.

Players are also often taught to put the helmet on the ball, which is often contradictory to a perfect form tackle.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Concussions occur from impact. The brain basically gets rattled within the skull.  A helmet won't stop that from happening.  The speed of the collision and the force of impact are the key factors. 

The reason it seems there are more concussions is the incased awareness and stepped up protocol by the league. These concussions always occurred  - they just went unreported and often untreated. 

Actually there has been an increase in concussions. The game is faster now than it was in the leather helmet days. But part of it is running less and throwing more. What many people don't think about is more wide receivers than running backs suffer concussions. Think about it: Austin Collie, Cecil Shorts, Laurent Robinson, Wes Welker - all wide receivers - suffered multiple concussions in a single season, but no running back in Indiianpolis, Jacksonville, or Denver was concussed once to my knowledge. It can't be a coincidence if most teams have more receivers than running backs getting concussed. Back in the leather helmet days, pass-first offenses were a rarity.

Quote:Players are also often taught to put the helmet on the ball, which is often contradictory to a perfect form tackle.

So coaches should go back to teaching them to punch out the ball with a fist.

I've got the solution..........helmets with air bags   ! Wallbash

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.