Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I think Fowler is goinig to make a phenominal linebacker

Quote:I was just showing that to KY because he loves PFF.  Anytime Florida dropped him in cover he always held his own.  They were saying he had success at ILB and only lined up once as an interior pass rusher with his hand in the dirt
"held his own" is so subjective though. He dropped back 59 times over 12 games, so less than 5 times a game he dropped back into coverage and basically nothing happened. He almost exclusively dropped into zone coverage too so he wasn't shadowing an RB on a wheel or a TE on a seam to see how he moved with them. He just kinda stood in the flats and watched the play happen like a standard DE on a zone blitz drop back. 

As an OLB in the NFL he would drop back a lot more, and he would get challenged a lot more. My suspicion based on his subpar change of direction skills at DE, which would be even more subpar compared to other OLB, is that he would be exposed. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yeah, my notes for Fowler say that he wasn't challenged in pass coverage. Nothing negative but nothing positive. Just a lot of dropping back in a zone and nothing happening in his area. I think he would get absolutely roasted having to try to cover an NFL RB or TE. 

What is the point of pass coverage if not to not be challenged and have nothing happen in your area?

To be honest, I don't think he's playing that bad. Sure he's not making the flashy sacks but he's getting pretty close, if we can refine him not to over step on pursuit as when he does the QB stepping up one step effectively takes him out of the play.

Sure he hasn't played lights out like Bosa for example has this year, but I'm not worried about Fowler after just 1 year when he has shown promise, also he's kinda a beast in the run game apart from that one long run last week, which was down to over pursuit of qb before diagnosing a run play.

But yeah keep him DE and let's see what TC does with him next year.

Quote:What is the point of pass coverage if not to not be challenged and have nothing happen in your area?
He wasn't 'pass covering' is my point, he was 'pass standing in an empty zone where no one was'. There was nothing to evaluate. If a quality NFL caliber TE or RB is cutting through that zone I don't think Fowler is going to be able to stop it very well at all.

Of course it's speculation, but I just don't see how his lack of athleticism that doesn't allow him to beat and bend around 290 lb right tackle will allow him to flip his hips and run with an NFL caliber RB on a wheel route or an NFL quality TE on a seam route. 

I do think his lack of athleticism might still allow him to beat a 320 lb guard off the snap and take the direct route to the QB that doesn't require him to bend. 

Quote:He wasn't 'pass covering' is my point, he was 'pass standing in an empty zone where no one was'. There was nothing to evaluate. If a quality NFL caliber TE or RB is cutting through that zone I don't think Fowler is going to be able to stop it very well at all.

Of course it's speculation, but I just don't see how his lack of athleticism that doesn't allow him to beat and bend around 290 lb right tackle will allow him to flip his hips and run with an NFL caliber RB on a wheel route or an NFL quality TE on a seam route. 

I do think his lack of athleticism might still allow him to beat a 320 lb guard off the snap and take the direct route to the QB that doesn't require him to bend.

Ok fair enough.

For the record, I'm not on the Fowler to LB bandwagon. I think he's worth developing at DE.

I sure hope he can be a good linebacker or something for us because he sure ain't 'getting it done' as a defensive end.

Quote:[Image: roflmao.gif] Id like to see your book of notes on all the players lol

Yeah let's see a photo of maybe 10 or so pages.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:I think they should stand him up.  He plays with power and speed.  I know he was drafted at 3 but he has to play to his strengths

Love seeing hits like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZARJ5StLEs

I thought Dante killed that man.

Quote:To be honest, I don't think he's playing that bad. Sure he's not making the flashy sacks but he's getting pretty close, if we can refine him not to over step on pursuit as when he does the QB stepping up one step effectively takes him out of the play.

Sure he hasn't played lights out like Bosa for example has this year, but I'm not worried about Fowler after just 1 year when he has shown promise, also he's kinda a beast in the run game apart from that one long run last week, which was down to over pursuit of qb before diagnosing a run play.

But yeah keep him DE and let's see what TC does with him next year.

To a sound mind, he caused havoc in the back field at Florida. Plenty of NFL personnel had him rated highly. He got injured and was out of football for a year and now after missing the year he makes his transition to the NFL.

Clearly he needs some time. Maybe he never lives up to the potential but he's been moderately productive already and under the circumstances that's a good enough sign to be patient and wait the next two seasons and give a fair shot.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:To a sound mind, he caused havoc in the back field at Florida. Plenty of NFL personnel had him rated highly. He got injured and was out of football for a year and now after missing the year he makes his transition to the NFL.

Clearly he needs some time. Maybe he never lives up to the potential but he's been moderately productive already and under the circumstances that's a good enough sign to be patient and wait the next two seasons and give a fair shot.
This

There is no spots to put him at LB. Unless change to a  three-four defense. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2017, 07:17 PM by jaguarmvp.)

Quote:I think they should stand him up.  He plays with power and speed.  I know he was drafted at 3 but he has to play to his strengths

Love seeing hits like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZARJ5StLEs
Ahem Ahem.  I will put his here.  Right from Dante's mouth

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/1/2/14...-up-rusher

"I considered myself more of a stand up defensive end, just because of how I move and how I feel," Fowler told First Coast News in an exit interview on Monday afternoon. "I just feel more comfortable standing up honestly. I work really good working in space. I know in the NFL you really have to get up on the offensive lineman and I feel like that's good and everything in the three-point stance, but in a two-point stance with my speed and my athleticism, I have so many things I can do at one time to an offensive lineman. Hopefully, that's taken into consideration going into next year."

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:There is no spots to put him at LB. Unless change to a three-four defense.
Fowler-jack-telvin

Don't see the problem here.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:Fowler-jack-telvin

Don't see the problem here.

3 guys who love a big hit too.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2017, 07:47 PM by J-Mizzal.)

Hire Wade Phillips 

Yanick is a better pass rusher, but Fowler is better at the rest, run stopping, standing up bltizing, stunt blitzing, next year he will be way removed from the ACL injury, so expect a huge jump for Fowler

Even tho he played less snaps then Yanick, Fowler had most tackles, more tackles for loss and more pass deflection, Yanick got his INT due to Fowler pass deflection. 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:Hire Wade Phillips 

Yanick is a better pass rusher, but Fowler is better at the rest, run stopping, standing up bltizing, stunt blitzing, next year he will be way removed from the ACL injury, so expect a huge jump for Fowler

Even tho he played less snaps then Yanick, Fowler had most tackles, more tackles for loss and more pass deflection, Yanick got his INT due to Fowler pass deflection. 
Where would that leave Yannick though?

He played LB his first 2 years at Maryland. He made the switch to DE in his 3rd year and broke out. He's a better fit to rush with his hand in the dirt.

He could still rush from a 3 point stance though as a LB in a 3-4. Would it be something like this? Yannick - Jack - Telvin - Fowler? I'd worry about Telvin as an ILB though. Him and Jack need to be able to run around. They'd have to take on a lot of Guards playing ILB in a 3-4.

I know coaches can get creative and the good ones will work the scheme around their players, but I'd definitely have some concerns.

I don't think this Defensive scheme really needs to be fully redone. I think it needs a couple tweaks, but we finally seen it coming to life this year. Whatever happens, they need to absolutely find a way to get Jack on the field and they need to be more a little more creative with Fowler.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2017, 11:11 PM by haveaseat.)

At this point you have to roll with Ngakoue as the main guy going forward. He is a monster. It doesn't matter if he is standing up or has his hand in the dirt or playing Tetris after every 4 plays. You move guys like Fowler around and get cute with them because they straight up aren't good pass rushers and you need to make them work. Yannick is just good. 

Our new coach won't give a flying fudge how high Fowler was drafted. He wasn't here for that. He's gonna play the best men. What a waste taking Ryan Davis 2.0 at 3 overall. 

Quote:At this point you have to roll with Ngakoue as the main guy going forward. He is a monster. It doesn't matter if he is standing up or has his hand in the dirt or playing Tetris after every 4 plays. You move guys like Fowler around and get cute with them because they straight up aren't good pass rushers and you need to make them work. Yannick is just good. 

Our new coach won't give a flying fudge how high Fowler was drafted. He wasn't here for that. He's gonna play the best men. What a waste taking Ryan Davis 2.0 at 3 overall. 
Ryan Davis 2.0?

Come on man. Are you serious right now? He played standing up at Florida. That's how he was taken as high as he was. We are forcing him into a spot that he has never played and he just came off an ACL. Expecting major production/no transition is absolutely ridiculous.

Don't blame him for not being happy how the staff used him. You play to players strengths. Put him in different spots...that's what any half way decent defensive staff would do. Not force players into their scheme like Gus and co. did.

Quote:Ryan Davis 2.0?

Come on man. Are you serious right now? He played standing up at Florida. That's how he was taken as high as he was. We are forcing him into a spot that he has never played and he just came off an ACL. Expecting major production/no transition is absolutely ridiculous.

Don't blame him for not being happy how the staff used him. You play to players strengths. Put him in different spots...that's what any half way decent defensive staff would do. Not force players into their scheme like Gus and co. did.

And his first year was still just as good as Vic Beasley's.  :whistling:

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Where would that leave Yannick though?

He played LB his first 2 years at Maryland. He made the switch to DE in his 3rd year and broke out. He's a better fit to rush with his hand in the dirt.

He could still rush from a 3 point stance though as a LB in a 3-4. Would it be something like this? Yannick - Jack - Telvin - Fowler? I'd worry about Telvin as an ILB though. Him and Jack need to be able to run around. They'd have to take on a lot of Guards playing ILB in a 3-4.

I know coaches can get creative and the good ones will work the scheme around their players, but I'd definitely have some concerns.

I don't think this Defensive scheme really needs to be fully redone. I think it needs a couple tweaks, but we finally seen it coming to life this year. Whatever happens, they need to absolutely find a way to get Jack on the field and they need to be more a little more creative with Fowler.

In a 3-4 he'd still be a 4-3 DE 60-70% of the time.