Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2014 NFL FREE AGENTS

As much as I am excited about our draft possibilities in April, I am even more excited about what we could do in Free Agency.

My personal preference is that we take Manziel (Even though I thought #3 overall was a little high for him at first. But if Vick can go #1 overall as a small QB then surely Manziel can go in top 3)

At any event I think we walk away with Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles at #3 (we can argue at nasium as to which one we should take, but I am just going to role with whomever the FO takes) which hopefully solve our QB woes for the next 4-5 years and beyond.

Back on track, with our QB problem hoepfully solved and a huge amount of cap space, it will be time to build a quality team around our "franchise" signal caller.

Here is the list of FA for 2014 and there is alot of young talent available (age 27 younger) at multiple positions of need:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/

The ones who stand out most to me are:

Michael Johnson (27) - DE

Jermichael Finley (26) - TE

Jairus Byrd (27) - S

B.J. Raji (27) - DE/DT

Aquip Talip (27) - CB

Sam Shields (26) - CB

Brian Orapko (27) - OLB/LEO

Hakeem Nicks (25) - WR

Larry English (27) - OLB/LEO

Jimmy Graham (27) - TE

Michael Hoomanawanui (25) - TE

Ryan Wendell (27) - C

Ted Larsen (26) - C

Evan Dietrich-Smith (27) - C

Jon Asamoah (25) - OG

John Jerry (27) - OG

Tyson Jackson (27) - DE/DT

Terrence Cody (25) - DT

Henry Melton (27) - DT

Vontae Davis (25) - CB

Major Wright (25) - S

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No Alex Mack? 

How can he not stand out to you? 

He'd be a perfect fit for us with Meester's retirement. 

Quote:No Alex Mack? 

How can he not stand out to you? 

He'd be a perfect fit for us with Meester's retirement. 
He does. But I was only listing the ones 27 and younger. Mack is 28, obv there are some FAs that are over 27 that will still be great signings.

Quote:He does. But I was only listing the ones 27 and younger. Mack is 28, obv there are some FAs that are over 27 that will still be great signings.

I'd take Mack over the younger Center's you provided, except maybe I'd think about Larson. 

Asomoah would be a nice addition and fill a need/ upgrade at the position. 

That's an impressive list of free agents. Hopefully we reel some in.

Mack, Byrd, and Orakpo please.

Graham would be pretty much godly but there is no way he's leaving NO.

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:Asomoah would be a nice addition and fill a need/ upgrade at the position. 
I like him alot. My dream list of signings are:

Finley - TE, Asomoah - OG, Mack - C, Shields - CB, and Wright -S, and English - LEO

or

Finley - TE, Asomoah - OG, Mack - C, and Orakpo - LEO

If Jimmy Graham somehow doesn't get tagged/signed we should offer him a huge contract and get rid of Lewis lol. 

Quote:If Jimmy Graham somehow doesn't get tagged/signed we should offer him a huge contract and get rid of Lewis lol. 

Nearly everyone will be going after him. It'd be pretty awesome to snag him somehow. I just don't see him even sniffing the exit door in NO.

Could you Imagine having Jimmy Graham with one of those QB's (Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles)?

Depending on how FA goes for us and the draft. Our team could be completed different come next season.

Quote:Could you Imagine having Jimmy Graham with one of those QB's (Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles)?

Depending on how FA goes for us and the draft. Our team could be completed different come next season.

This is what I'm counting on. Many teams make complete turn arounds from one year to the next. Case in point the Chiefs last year. I don't think we're that far off of having that kind of turn around. Use the cap space wisely, get a couple of good picks in the draft.. then... money.

Quote:Could you Imagine having Jimmy Graham with one of those QB's (Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles)?

I'd make Graham the highest paid TE in the game to get him here. 

Quote:I'd make Graham the highest paid TE in the game to get him here. 
The only problem with that is that Caldwell isn't really interested in handing out hugely expensive contracts to pro-bowl caliber talent. Graham might be a very interesting situation if he becomes available, but I still don't see him being here in Jacksonville next season. It would be great to have him though.

Quote:The only problem with that is that Caldwell isn't really interested in handing out hugely expensive contracts to pro-bowl caliber talent. Graham might be a very interesting situation if he becomes available, but I still don't see him being here in Jacksonville next season. It would be great to have him though.

The time will never get any better than right now with all the cap room we have.

I know Jacksonville hasn't signed a big name free agent in, well, years... but I just don't see that happening this off season. I'd be surprised if we don't come away with at least one big name added to the team.

What date does FA start this year?

Quote:What date does FA start this year?
<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"><b>Jan. 5:</b> Assistant coaches under contract to playoff clubs that have byes in the wild-card weekend may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of the wild-card games.

<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"><b>Jan. 11-12:</b> Divisional playoff games

<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"><b>Jan. 12: </b>Assistant coaches under contract to playoff clubs that won their wild-card games may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of divisional playoff games.

<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"><b>Jan. 18:</b> East-West Shrine Game, Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Fla.

<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"><b>Jan. 19:</b> AFC and NFC Championship Games

<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"><b>Jan. 25:</b> Senior Bowl, Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, Ala.

<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"> 

<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"><b>Jan. 26:</b> An assistant coach whose team is participating in the Super Bowl and who has previously interviewed for another club's head coaching job may have a second interview with such club no later than the Sunday preceding the Super Bowl.

<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"><b>Feb. 2:</b> Super Bowl XLVIII, MetLife Stadium, New York-New Jersey

<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"><b>Feb. 17: </b>First day for clubs to designate franchise or transition Players.

<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"><b>Feb. 19-25: </b>Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis

<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"><b>March 8-11:</b> Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2013 player contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 11. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. ET on March 11.

<p style="font-family:'Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, serif;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-size:16px;"><b>March 11:</b> New league year, free agency begins

Wonderfully structured

Is that accurate up there?

I could have sworn i read about the NFL changing everything for the 2014 season.....the combine is now supposed to be in March and Free Agency in April and the draft in May. 

Quote:Is that accurate up there?

I could have sworn i read about the NFL changing everything for the 2014 season.....the combine is now supposed to be in March and Free Agency in April and the draft in May. 
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/879563...ey-dates-p

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><b>March 11:</b> New league year, free agency begins

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">March 11: Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must exercise options for 2014 on all players who have option clauses in their 2013 contracts. 

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">March 11: Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their restricted free agents with expiring contracts.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">March 11: Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit a minimum salary tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2013 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued Seasons of free agency credit.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">March 11: All clubs must be under the 2014 salary cap before 4 p.m. ET.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><b>March 23-26:</b> Owners meeting, Orlando, Fla.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">April 7: Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2013 regular season may begin off-season workout programs.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">April 21: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin off-season workout programs.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">May 2: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">May 7: Deadline for prior club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">May 8-10: NFL draft, New York, Radio City Music Hall. First round begins at 8 p.m. ET.

I remember Khan saying he would spend to the cap. Caldwell and Gus talked about improving that top third of the roster. With all the room we have, I gotta think we will try to grab a couple starters this offseason. A lineman and at the very least a DE we can use in rotation. Possibly a LB. Yes.. build through the draft, but we gotta supplement through FA.
Only a chump boos the home team!