Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Buccaneers hire Lovie Smith as HC

per rotoworld: 

Buccaneers hired Lovie Smith as head coach.

Credit Adam Schefter for first tabbing Smith as the heavy favorite in Tampa, and Jay Glazer for breaking news of the actual hire. Previous reports have indicated Smith will be accompanied by Jeff Tedford to coordinate the Bucs' offense, and Leslie Frazier to run the defense. Turning 56 in May, Smith spent 2013 out of football after being fired by the Bears, where he was head coach for nine years and earned an 81-63 record with one Super Bowl appearance. Smith is set up for success with the Bucs, who have far more talent than their 4-12 2013 record suggests. The Bucs are hiring Smith before a general manager, which suggests Lovie will have plenty of personnel power. We'd view this as a fairly high-risk, boom-or-bust hire despite Smith's successful track record.

TMD take:

OC: Jeff Tedford

DC: Leslie Frazier

Now thats 2 good Coordinator hires. 

If Gus fails, I will point back to his ultra weak Coordinator hires as the harbinger. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Odd they hired a HC before they hired a GM? Or did I miss they already hired a new GM?

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

It's the same ol song and dance

Quote:Odd they hired a HC before they hired a GM? Or did I miss they already hired a new GM?

Not everyone does it the way the Jags did. 

If you hire a prominent enough head coach, you can hire the GM second. It happened with Kansas City last year when they hired Andy Reid first before hiring a GM. 

Quote:Not everyone does it the way the Jags did. 

If you hire a prominent enough head coach, you can hire the GM second. It happened with Kansas City last year when they hired Andy Reid first before hiring a GM. 

I guess so, I'm just accustomed to the GM playing a role in selecting the Head coach, but I guess some teams have them as equals. We tried that with Shack and Jack, didn't work to well for us, I like having the one guy at the head of the table so to speak.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I guess so, I'm just accustomed to the GM playing a role in selecting the Head coach, but I guess some teams have them as equals. We tried that with Shack and Jack, didn't work to well for us, I like having the one guy at the head of the table so to speak.

....like I said, you can do that when you hire a prominent enough HC first. We both know Del Rio would hardly qualify as that. Plus he was a rookie, too. 

Andy Reid and Lovie Smith have both been to SB's. 

Quote:I guess so, I'm just accustomed to the GM playing a role in selecting the Head coach, but I guess some teams have them as equals. We tried that with Shack and Jack, didn't work to well for us, I like having the one guy at the head of the table so to speak.

Unless the Bucs hire someone as GM who either worked with Lovie Smith before or someone that didn't that's truly on the same page as Lovie Smith,  they will likely regret hiring Smith before having a GM in plaace.   The method of building an organization that you prefer is also the way I think makes the most sense for an NFL Franchise.

From the standpoint of what the Bucs need from the HC position,  Lovie Smith makes a great amount of sense for them.   Yet,  I think they should have been more patient,  interviewing more candidates.

Quote:....like I said, you can do that when you hire a prominent enough HC first. We both know Del Rio would hardly qualify as that. Plus he was a rookie, too. 

Andy Reid and Lovie Smith have both been to SB's. 

TMD,  correct me if I'm mistaken but didn't you express in another thread that you don't think that much of Lovie Smith as a Head Coach?

Quote:Unless the Bucs hire someone as GM who either worked with Lovie Smith before or someone that didn't that's truly on the same page as Lovie Smith,  they will likely regret hiring Smith before having a GM in plaace.   The method of building an organization that you prefer is also the way I think makes the most sense for an NFL Franchise.

From the standpoint of what the Bucs need from the HC position,  Lovie Smith makes a great amount of sense for them.   Yet,  I think they should have been more patient,  interviewing more candidates.

Thats what will happen though. 

When the Chiefs hired Andy Reid first, they hired a GM that would be able to co-exist/ be on the same page as Reid. Same thing will happen in Tampa. 

Quote:TMD,  correct me if I'm mistaken but didn't you express in another thread that you don't think that much of Lovie Smith as a Head Coach?

I did not want him as Jags coach, no. 

I'm just commenting that I like his Coordinator choices. 

Quote:Thats what will happen though. 

When the Chiefs hired Andy Reid first, they hired a GM that would be able to co-exist/ be on the same page as Reid. Same thing will happen in Tampa.

While this beats the alternative of the GM hired not initially being on the same page as the Head Coach,  the concern I would have at some point in the future,  the GM is going to want to do something substantially different than the HC prefers.  It could lead to major problems from a chain of command standpoint.  

Quote:I did not want him as Jags coach, no. 

Thanks for clarfying that.  

Assuming those will be his two Coordinators,  I like the choice of Leslie Frazier much more than the choice of Jeff Tedford,   Too many QB's under Tedford in college eventually failed in the NFL.   Aaron Rodgers is more of the exception than the norm.

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2014, 11:31 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:While this beats the alternative of the GM hired not initially being on the same page as the Head Coach,  the concern I would have at some point in the future,  the GM is going to want to do something substantially different than the HC prefers.  It could lead to major problems from a chain of command standpoint.  

Yeah but you could have those same disagreements regardless of who was hired first. 

Generally, I too prefer to hire the GM first, but as said, if you hire a prominent enough head coach, you can get by with hiring the GM after. 

Quote:Yeah but you could have those same disagreements regardless of who was hired first. 

At least if the GM is hired first and is clearly in charge,  it erases doubts about who is running the show. 

On a related topic,  granted,  there are some great Head Coaches that have had huge success when having final say in terms of personnel.   Bill Belichick comes to mind.   But most Head Coaches in this structure either fail or burn out too quickly from the work load .

Adam Schefter tweeted Rod Marinelli will be Smiths DC. Don't know if its true yet however.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:I did not want him as Jags coach, no. 

So you were just lying  joking when you said Smith was a overrated HC?

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:TMD take:

<div> 

If Gus fails, I will point back to his ultra weak Coordinator hires as the harbinger. 

</div>

J2DD's take:

(yawn)

;

;

Quote: 

per rotoworld: 

<div>Buccaneers hired Lovie Smith as head coach.

Credit Adam Schefter for first tabbing Smith as the heavy favorite in Tampa, and Jay Glazer for breaking news of the actual hire. Previous reports have indicated Smith will be accompanied by Jeff Tedford to coordinate the Bucs' offense, and Leslie Frazier to run the defense. Turning 56 in May, Smith spent 2013 out of football after being fired by the Bears, where he was head coach for nine years and earned an 81-63 record with one Super Bowl appearance. Smith is set up for success with the Bucs, who have far more talent than their 4-12 2013 record suggests. The Bucs are hiring Smith before a general manager, which suggests Lovie will have plenty of personnel power. We'd view this as a fairly high-risk, boom-or-bust hire despite Smith's successful track record.

TMD take:

</div>

Lol.  This is my surprised face.  You are something else.  I can't wait for a full 4 months of this.

Quote:So you were just lying  joking when you said Smith was a overrated HC?

Huh? He is an overrated head coach. 

But credit where due, he hired 2 decent Coordinators. 

Tedford is an unknown, so I don't know how you can say how he is a good hire. He has never coached in the NFL.

;

;