Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Buccaneers hire Lovie Smith as HC

Quote:Tedford is an unknown, so I don't know how you can say how he is a good hire. He has never coached in the NFL.

lol an unknown??.... wut???

He was very successful in college. Look at his resume. Much more impressive than Jedd Fisch. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Tedford is an unknown, so I don't know how you can say how he is a good hire. He has never coached in the NFL.
But he's coached Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, David Carr, and Kyle Boller in college

And Frazier is a great hire because??? Don't know think they might have been a top 10 once while he was in Minn.

Quote:But he's coached Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, David Carr, and Kyle Boller in college

And Frazier is a great hire because??? Don't know think they might have been a top 10 once while he was in Minn.

Frazier is a guy who might not be a good head coach, but as a Coordinator before being the latest example of the Peter Principle, he is a good defensive mind. 

Quote:Frazier is a guy who might not be a good head coach, but as a Coordinator before being the latest example of the Peter Principle, he is a good defensive mind. 
good defensive mind, but his defense has ranked in the bottom third 2 of the past 4 years

Quote:lol an unknown??.... wut???

He was very successful in college. Look at his resume. Much more impressive than Jedd Fisch. 

Still never coached in the NFL, so an unknown

;

;

Quote:good defensive mind, but his defense has ranked in the bottom third 2 of the past 4 years

Again, is that while HC or DC?

When a guy is promoted past his ability, as Frazier was, things suffer. 

Frazier as DC is a fine coach. Frazier as HC isn't all that great. 

not saying either coach was a bad hire, but if the Jaguars were to make these hires, I can't imagine you would be praising Bradley for these great hires

Quote:not saying either coach was a bad hire, but if the Jaguars were to make these hires, I can't imagine you would be praising Bradley for these great hires

I would though, All I ask for is a good resume. They both have it. 

Babich & Fisch do not. 

Leslie Frazier as a DC >>>>>Leslie Frazier as a HC.  I would take him here as a DC in a heartbeat. 

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2014, 03:59 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Leslie Frazier as a DC >>>>>Leslie Frazier as a HC.  I would take him here as a DC in a heartbeat. 

Exactly. Thats all I was saying. 

I wouldn't want Frazier as a HC, but as a DC? Sign me up! He'd certainly be better than Babich. 

Quote:Exactly. Thats all I was saying. 

I wouldn't want Frazier as a HC, but as a DC? Sign me up! He'd certainly be better than Babich. 

It would be a monumental upgrade, that's for sure.  

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2014, 04:22 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:It would be a monumental upgrade, that's for sure.  

Its similar to wanting Mike Tice as a position coach. Tice was hot garbage as a head coach, and you wouldn't want him as OC.....but as merely a position coach for the OL or TE? He's pretty darn good. 

Quote:Adam Schefter tweeted Rod Marinelli will be Smiths DC. Don't know if its true yet however.

It looks like this is the direction the Bucs want to go in,  which would be a great move for them.  Rod Marinelli is a highly skilled Defensive Coordinator and Defensive Line Coach.    Yet,  it remains to be seen if the Cowboys let Marinelli out of his contract:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/0...ator.html/

Lovie gets a lot of hate for a Coach who got the Bowl with Rex Grossman (playing awful in the playoffs too). I still remember watching that nfc championship game and Rex missing like 11 throws and then made like a couple completions in the 4th quarter to not kill the drive, and the commentators saying how he got it done when it matters. Yeah right, Rex was not good.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:It looks like this is the direction the Bucs want to go in,  which would be a great move for them.  Rod Marinelli is a highly skilled Defensive Coordinator and Defensive Line Coach.    Yet,  it remains to be seen if the Cowboys let Marinelli out of his contract:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/01/do-cowboys-want-rod-marinelli-to-be-their-defensive-coordinator.html/'>http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/01/do-cowboys-want-rod-marinelli-to-be-their-defensive-coordinator.html/</a>

I think because it would be a promotion from dline coach to DC his contract doesn't matter. Correct me if I'm wrong I'm not %100 positive.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:I think because it would be a promotion from dline coach to DC his contract doesn't matter. Correct me if I'm wrong I'm not %100 positive.

While it's common for a team to let a position coach leave for another team to become a Coordinator,  the team isn't required to let him out of his contract.  This differs from when an assistant coach gets a Head Coach offer from another NFL team.    In these situations,  the coach is free to leave with no strings attached.

In the case of Rod Marinelli,  back in 2004 and/ or 2005 when he was the Bucs Defensive Line Coach,   Lovie Smith wanted  Marinelli to be the Bears Defensive Coordinator.   The Bucs blocked the move.  Marinelli then remained the Bucs Defensive Line coach,  with the additional title of Assistant Head Coach of Defense,   until 2006 when he became Lions HC.

Quote:But he's coached Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, David Carr, and Kyle Boller in college

Frazier and Tedford are great hires because the Jags didn't hire them.

The more you know.

Quote:Frazier and Tedford are great hires because the Jags didn't hire them.

The more you know.

That duo would have been great hires as Coordinators had we also hired them. 

Should I congratulate Lovie or Tampa?

Congrats to both, I guess, but I figured Smith wouldn't be unemployed long.  Best of luck as long as it ain't against us.

Bucs D is heavy, with better coaching they'll be a force to reckon with.