Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What's your perfect offseason scenario?

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2013, 07:22 PM by FreeAgent01.)

Let's hear them.

Mine.

Free Agency:

Cut Jason Babin and save 6 million.

Sign Greg Hardy for 11 million per year

Sign Brian Orakpo for 7 million per year

Sign Arthur Jones for 6 million per year

That'll put us just under the salary cap floor of 110 million at roughly 105 million, even with completely flat contracts.

Draft:

1.) QB Blake Bortles

2.) OLB Kyle Van Noy

3.) OG Xavier Su'a-Filo

3.) DE/DT Dominque Easley (Trade back up with 4th and 5th)

4.) OC Weston Richburg

5.) RB Andre Williams

5.) CB Pierre Desir

6 and 7) Whatever

QB - Bortles, Gabbert, Stanzi

RB - Williams + Todman, Robinson

FB - Tou'ufo'ou

TE - Lewis, Harbor

LT - Joeckel, Bradfield

LG - Su'a-Filo, Rackley

OC - Richburg, Brewster

RG - Nwaneri, McClendon

RT - Pasztor, Bradfield

WR - Shorts, Blackmon, Sanders, Brown, Taylor

LE - Easley, Alualu, Davis

DT - Marks

DT - Arthur Jones, Miller, Abry Jones

RE - Hardy, Branch

OLB - Van Noy, Hayes

MLB - Posluszny, Lotulelei

OLB - Orakpo, Allen

CB - Gratz, Blackmon, McCray

CB - Desir, Ball

FS - Evans, Guy

SS - Cyprien, Prosinski

LS, K, P - Tinker, Scobee, Anger

And add whatever other 3 players you say should make the active roster.

I like the versatility this would give us on defense.  On passing downs you could line up Orakpo, Marks, Easley, Hardy and then scheme Van Noy from anywhere.. And even then you'd still have more rushers you could play with like Branch.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If we signed Orakpo he'd play end.. he's a pass rusher not a 4-3 olb. 

i win the lottery and run away with sade

The draft looks decent but you're waaaaaay over optimistic about free agency. Caldwell said we will have a moderate free agency period.

We have to spend to 110 million dollars - no matter what.  They said they want to improve the top of the roster.  It's either sign higher end free agents or sign 7 or 8 free agents at 4 million per year.  One way or another, we have to spend that money, and I tend to think higher end free agents are what they mean when they say they want to improve the top of the roster.

Quote:If we signed Orakpo he'd play end.. he's a pass rusher not a 4-3 olb. 

He would play both.  I'm not saying he's an every down type OLB, but he can play some zone.  He's your X-Factor in terms of pass rush.  Really, the only thing you don't want is Orakpo covering man up on a slot or tight end.  You move him around like Texas does with Jeffcoat.

Quote:We have to spend to 110 million dollars - no matter what. They said they want to improve the top of the roster. It's either sign higher end free agents or sign 7 or 8 free agents at 4 million per year. One way or another, we have to spend that money, and I tend to think higher end free agents are what they mean when they say they want to improve the top of the roster.

You forgot one other possibility. Extend some of the players you currently have.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

To whom do you give a significant pay raise?  Cecil Shorts and...?

Priority Free Agent:

Alex Mack, C

Resign:

Basin at 3-4 million deal

Draft:

1 - Bortles, QB

2 - Yankey, OG

3 - Skov, LB

4 - Moncrief, WR

4 - Steen, OG

5 - Bibbs, RB

5 - Henderson, OT

5 - CB/Leo

6 - Morris, QB

7 - Lynch, QB

Basically hitting the reset button on QB and trying to give best possible scenario to walk into by shoring up the OL.

Quote:To whom do you give a significant pay raise? Cecil Shorts and...?

Babich and Fisch.

Sounds like a law firm.

The Jags don't have to spend to $110 M.  Not sure where that idea came from, but it's wrong.  

Seems like there have been many threads like this, but ill bite anyway.

FA: Byrd, good OG, Tate

Draft:

Clowney/Mack

trade 2nd, 3rd to get into late 20s, draft Manziel

4th C

4th LB 

rest idc

This will probably change by next week but its where im at right now. 

Please no Bortles. I'd rather sign Jay Cutler and draft Clowney or Barr.

My perfect off-season, this year and every year until we do it, is that we find the right QB. 

Im not a big fan of breaking the bank in this leauge. The Redskins did it for years, and it's netted them nothing. Miami just did that this past off-season and they were inconsistent and chocked during crunch time. Spending big money doesn't always translate to wins in the NFL. What we really need to focus on is getting healthy in the trenches on the offensive side of the football, and, re-establishing this wounded running game we now put out on the football field. I think the defense, especially the secondary, will be much improved next year.

But the injuries were killing us, losing Gratz and Cyprien off and on. Losing Joeckel before mid-season, that was just gut wrenching as a fan. Your top three picks couldn't go a full sixteen games this season. That's disheartening even going forward. Because we've seen this before, Gratz (Derek Cox), Joeckel (Tony Boselli). We still have so many answers to find for this football team. This franchise has been dying for a consistent DE off the edge now since the old Brackens days. Marks showed promise all year. I was glad to see his extension. I think he's important going forward.

I'd like to see another CB added to compete for the nickel position and help rotate out with Ball a bit more. Ball was great in some games, and, the games where it appeared he got burned, I'm not sure if that was him at times or simply lack of assingment following on Cyprien's end. Cyprien is a speed demon though. He'll be a force to contend with in the box once this front seven get's better at pass rushing more consistently.

I'd like to see us get DE - Clowney in RD1. QB - Tahj Boyd in RD2. RB - Tre Mason in RD3.

I feel like with those first three picks in the books that I'd be a bit more hopeful for our future as a Jaguars' fan. Clowney could be our long lost answer at DE. Boyd has starting potential at this level, and, as a 2ND RD pick, you could still go out and sign a veteran QB to compete with him and Henne during the pre-season for the starting job. And Mason at RB was just flat-out impressive this year. That kid can run. And he came up big during big games for Auburn this year.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:The Jags don't have to spend to $110 M.  Not sure where that idea came from, but it's wrong.  

True and False.

Starting last year, the Jags have to average 89% of the salary cap over 4 years.  89% of the salary cap this year is about 110 million dollars.  Technically, we don't have to spend that money this year.

So in essence, we have approximately 500 million in cap space over 4 years.  This means we have to spend 89% of this, which is about 445 million dollars over 4 years.  This means if we spent to the cap this last year, and only 90 million for this coming season we'll be at about 210 million, and still have to spend 235 million.  If we continue to spend at a conservative pace of 90 million for a 3rd year, we would be at 300 million and would be forced to spend from our 90 million salary cap to 145 million in the final year.  Nevermind the fact that spending 55 million in one single offseason would be extremely difficult, but think about the types of contracts we would have to eat and the disarray that would leave our salary cap in.  The following year we would be either over or up against the salary cap because we were forced to spend higher than the salary cap the year before.  We would have brand new contracts which would be difficult to eat.  You're talking about salary cap hell all over again.

Quote:Let's hear them.

Mine.

Free Agency:

Cut Jason Babin and save 6 million.

Sign Greg Hardy for 11 million per year
Sign Brian Orakpo for 7 million per year
Sign Arthur Jones for 6 million per year

That'll put us just under the salary cap floor of 110 million at roughly 105 million, even with completely flat contracts.

Draft:

1.) QB Blake Bortles
2.) OLB Kyle Van Noy
3.) OG Xavier Su'a-Filo
3.) DE/DT Dominque Easley (Trade back up with 4th and 5th)
4.) OC Weston Richburg
5.) RB Andre Williams
5.) CB Pierre Desir
6 and 7) Whatever

QB - Bortles, Gabbert, Stanzi
RB - Williams + Todman, Robinson
FB - Tou'ufo'ou
TE - Lewis, Harbor
LT - Joeckel, Bradfield
LG - Su'a-Filo, Rackley
OC - Richburg, Brewster
RG - Nwaneri, McClendon
RT - Pasztor, Bradfield
WR - Shorts, Blackmon, Sanders, Brown, Taylor

LE - Easley, Alualu, Davis
DT - Marks
DT - Arthur Jones, Miller, Abry Jones
RE - Hardy, Branch
OLB - Van Noy, Hayes
MLB - Posluszny, Lotulelei
OLB - Orakpo, Allen
CB - Gratz, Blackmon, McCray
CB - Desir, Ball
FS - Evans, Guy
SS - Cyprien, Prosinski

LS, K, P - Tinker, Scobee, Anger

And add whatever other 3 players you say should make the active roster.

I like the versatility this would give us on defense.  On passing downs you could line up Orakpo, Marks, Easley, Hardy and then scheme Van Noy from anywhere.. And even then you'd still have more rushers you could play with like Branch.
Man, I think you put way too much thought into this. You do realize that you'll need to revise this about fifty times before the draft, right?

As long as you are enjoying yourself, go for it.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:True and False.

Starting last year, the Jags have to average 89% of the salary cap over 4 years.  89% of the salary cap this year is about 110 million dollars.  Technically, we don't have to spend that money this year.

So in essence, we have approximately 500 million in cap space over 4 years.  This means we have to spend 89% of this, which is about 445 million dollars over 4 years.  This means if we spent to the cap this last year, and only 90 million for this coming season we'll be at about 210 million, and still have to spend 235 million.  If we continue to spend at a conservative pace of 90 million for a 3rd year, we would be at 300 million and would be forced to spend from our 90 million salary cap to 145 million in the final year.  Nevermind the fact that spending 55 million in one single offseason would be extremely difficult, but think about the types of contracts we would have to eat and the disarray that would leave our salary cap in.  The following year we would be either over or up against the salary cap because we were forced to spend higher than the salary cap the year before.  We would have brand new contracts which would be difficult to eat.  You're talking about salary cap hell all over again.

This is correct, but it's rolling target meaning that instead of giving a huge signing bonus to a player that is amortized over the life of the contract, you can give them a roster bonus or something that counts against the cap in one year.  Thus, you keep yourself from getting into salary cap trouble by always keeping yourself under the cap. 

I appreciate the effort you put into this but it's just way too early.  This draft is going to get flipped upside down before May.  Players will rise and fall. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]