Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Henne Retained To Mentor Rookie Draft Pick?

Quote:I wouldn't mind Henne coming back, if for nothing more than irritating the heck out of some of you guys.

Sounds about like my thoughts on Gabbert, bring him back just to work people like you up.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:They both failed miserably in their mission to develop Blaine Gabbert as the franchise quarterback.

The mission was to see if Gabbert COULD be the franchise guy, not to force a square peg into a round hole.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Sounds about like my thoughts on Gabbert, bring him back just to work people like you up.

Henne is a professional quarterback. I'm not sure (well I am pretty sure) that Gabbert is.

I think there is a good chance you've going to be pretty peeved next year.

Either way it won't bother me.

So who is this great veteran we're missing out on? I like Jason Campbell.

All the Henne haters never seem to be pushing anyone. I guess they find it easier to babble about Henne.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Henne is a professional quarterback. I'm not sure (well I am pretty sure) that Gabbert is.

I think there is a good chance you've going to be pretty peeved next year.

Either way it won't bother me.

So who is this great veteran we're missing out on? I like Jason Campbell.

All the Henne haters never seem to be pushing anyone. I guess they find it easier to babble about Henne.

If I'm peeved it would be because the team didn't make an effort to get better.

If they bring back Henbert, that would qualify as not making an effort to get better.

Still, like I said, it might be satisfying in a sadistic way to see your frustration.

Quote:If I'm peeved it would be because the team didn't make an effort to get better.

If they bring back Henbert, that would qualify as not making an effort to get better.

Still, like I said, it might be satisfying in a sadistic way to see your frustration.

You're the one who shed tears for your boy Blaine. Now you will defend Blaine's honor by attacking Henne with a minimum of thirty posts a day.

I'm sure Blaine appreciates it and all, but I hate to tell you - it's a lost cause.

So, come on. Who is this backup they should get in lieu of Henne? Who will meet you lofty standards of "making an effort to get better"? Or do you not have someone in mind, you'd rather just whine about Chad?

Quote:You're the one who shed tears for your boy Blaine. Now you will defend Blaine's honor by attacking Henne with a minimum of thirty posts a day.

I'm sure Blaine appreciates it and all, but I hate to tell you - it's a lost cause.

So, come on. Who is this backup they should get in lieu of Henne? Who will meet you lofty standards of "making an effort to get better"? Or do you not have someone in mind, you'd rather just whine about Chad?

You sure can blow on that one note you have pretty hard.

Whichever QB out of the bunch they get is worst would be my pick for backup, but I'd hope they spring for someone who has actually posted an 80 or higher passer rating in their life considering plenty of guys like that will be on the street. Bring in some new guys and hope one of them meshes with Fisch if there isn't a suitable rookie to start from day one.

Like I said, it might be entertaining to see the inevitable wailing and gnashing of teeth that would happen next season if Henbert is back (they're both career losers beyond redemption, if you really want either of them back you're probably just another team's fan trolling) but it's certainly not what I'm hoping for.

Quote:You sure can blow on that one note you have pretty hard.

Whichever QB out of the bunch they get is worst would be my pick for backup, but I'd hope they spring for someone who has actually posted an 80 or higher passer rating in their life considering plenty of guys like that will be on the street. Bring in some new guys and hope one of them meshes with Fisch if there isn't a suitable rookie to start from day one.

Like I said, it might be entertaining to see the inevitable wailing and gnashing of teeth that would happen next season if Henbert is back (they're both career losers beyond redemption, if you really want either of them back you're probably just another team's fan trolling) but it's certainly not what I'm hoping for.

Hey, anyone who read your 673 posts defending Blaine would remember it. It was pretty traumatic. Might has scared me for life.

As I could have guessed, you're afraid to name a name. You might have to actually justify it. And that person may end up no better than Henne.

So it is just about blaming Henne. Thanks for confirming it.

Quote:Hey, anyone who read your 673 posts defending Blaine would remember it. It was pretty traumatic. Might has scared me for life.

As I could have guessed, you're afraid to name a name. You might have to actually justify it. And that person may end up no better than Henne.

So it is just about blaming Henne. Thanks for confirming it.

673, eh? Must be pretty easy to find one, then. Go ahead and link one to us if you're not speaking out of your backside.

I don't need to name names, you can go to NFL.com and look at stats for all the QBs and backups who threw a decent amount of passes in a season to see which ones posted an 80 or higher passer rating for a season.

The good news is it's not hard to find guys that have outperformed Henbert. It'll be bad news if Caldwell doesn't think picking up the phone and talking to the agent for one of them is too much work.

Also, you sure seem obsessed with Gabbert. It's likely he won't even be on the team come next year, why are you so centered on him when Henne is the guy we're talking about?

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?[BLEEP]...&Year=2014

who on this list would be suited best to replace Henne?

Vick? 

Cutler would be a move made to be a starter. Don't think we're going that route.

Freeman is still young but I'm sure he wants to start.

Hill is old. Clemens is old.

we don't have much to choose from.

How much "Mentoring" are they expecting to get out of Henne? Show the new guy around the stadium, tell him where his locker and the gym is, show him around Jax?

The new guy may be even more pro-ready than Henne will ever be.

Quote:Why would you get rid of someone that your already paying a very little to, that knows the offense and can play. No reason to get rid of BG until you see what you have during the preseason. Even if we get a High profile QB in the draft there is no gaurentee he will come in and be ready to start.

Because there's no reason to want to keep BG.  He's not good.  Period.  No point keeping him on the roster.  If we can trade him with one year left on his contract, then fine since we would get something out of him.  If not, cut him.  He couldn't even get his job back from Henne.  

Quote:How much "Mentoring" are they expecting to get out of Henne? Show the new guy around the stadium, tell him where his locker and the gym is, show him around Jax?

"May" being the key word.  Also may not be.

You bring Henne back for a season as the worst case scenario.  He knows the system.  Keep him and keep looking.

We got back to Garrard level play with Henne.  A bridge QB to whenever we get our franchise QB (which should be now) and whenever that QB takes the job from him.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:"May" being the key word.  Also may not be.

You bring Henne back for a season as the worst case scenario.  He knows the system.  Keep him and keep looking.

We got back to Garrard level play with Henne.  A bridge QB to whenever we get our franchise QB (which should be now) and whenever that QB takes the job from him.

Let's not disrespect Garrard.

He was a game manager, but he was a much better game manager than Henne.

Garrard only threw more INTs than TDs once in his career, his rookie year, and only had two seasons (rookie and third) with a passer rating as low or lower than Henne's career high passer rating year.

Garrard should offer the least of what is expected of a QB. If you can't even count on a veteran not to throw a ton of INTs then you really can't count on him for anything.

Quote:Let's not disrespect Garrard.

Garrard only threw more INTs than TDs once in his career, his rookie year, and only had two seasons (rookie and third) with a passer rating as low or lower than Henne's career high passer rating year.

Garrard should offer the least of what is expected of a QB. If you can't even count on a veteran not to throw a ton of INTs then you really can't count on him for anything.
Garrard was also a 4th round pick, Henne a 2nd. 

Garrard had that same late game crunch time INT knack though.

I'd take Garrard of old over Henne of now though, hands down.

Fact remains, there aren't any jump off the page vets available next year unless someone is cut who isn't set to hit FA.

I don't like him, but I say we keep Henne for one more season.

Quote:Because there's no reason to want to keep BG.  He's not good.  Period.  No point keeping him on the roster.  If we can trade him with one year left on his contract, then fine since we would get something out of him.  If not, cut him.  He couldn't even get his job back from Henne.  
I guess it depends on if you believe Caldwell or not. This is a quote in an enterview he gave during the Bills week.

"I still have belief in Blaine. I think him sitting behind Chad and being able to take it all in has been good for him. He’s a big, good-looking athlete with good speed, a strong arm. He’s accurate. He has all the tools you look for."

It wasnt that BG couldnt get the job back it was Caldwell wanting BG to sit and learn.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2013, 03:56 PM by JagsFan1.)

Quote:How much "Mentoring" are they expecting to get out of Henne? Show the new guy around the stadium, tell him where his locker and the gym is, show him around Jax?

LOL!! This

Quote:Garrard was also a 4th round pick, Henne a 2nd. 

Garrard had that same late game crunch time INT knack though.

I'd take Garrard of old over Henne of now though, hands down.

Fact remains, there aren't any jump off the page vets available next year unless someone is cut who isn't set to hit FA.

I don't like him, but I say we keep Henne for one more season.
Garrard is a free agent again next year, and he's gotten good reviews as Geno's mentor...

That said, yeah, Henne isn't a franchise QB and probably couldn't win a starting job elsewhere, but he knows the offense and is a competent backup (before you laugh, think about how many backup QBs in the league today could have done as well with the team we had).  Given the other available options out there I really don't see an upgrade.

You message board quarterback coaches kill me.

Quote:Let's not disrespect Garrard.

Let's not turn this into yet another Garrard crying fest.

Henne broke 3000 yards this season.  The last time that was done was 2009 with Garrard.  That's no endorsement of Henne or "disrespect" of Garrard at all.  Just Jaguar history.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I haven't bothered to read any replies, but the title of this thread makes me chuckle.