Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why all the talk about a bad offensive line?

have you seen our running game?  me neither

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: 
 There is talk about the O-Line being bad because the line has struggled greatly in the run game, the RT took a big step backward in his level of play and the LG position needs a legit starter. 

17th in rushing isn't "good" and it's also inflated by Bortles' 323 yards. Take those away and the Jags are around 30th in total rushing yards. 

Quote:Wow. Watch just about any other team's line. Pay close attention to just the technique of the center, the guards, and the tackles. Our protective 5 is pretty terrible - probably worst in the NFL run blocking and bottom 5 in pass protecting.

We're 17th in the run in regards to the offensive line.

I agree that we need a RT and possibly a LG. But the article shows we aren't as bad as we thought.

Mike Kaye posted a tweet that we've actually allowed the second fewest sacks through 13 weeks in franchise history.

Though I think Bortles deserves some credit there. A QB like say, Rivers, would be hit a lot more since he's not as mobile
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote: There is talk about the O-Line being bad because the line has struggled greatly in the run game, the RT took a big step backward in his level of play and the LG position needs a legit starter. 

17th in rushing isn't "good" and it's also inflated by Bortles' 323 yards. Take those away and the Jags are around 30th in total rushing yards. 

Blake's 323 rushing yards tell you something about his ability to play quarterback behind a bad offensive line.

A couple things are drastically helping some of our stats in this piece.  A couple long Ivory and Bortles runs where they went untouched helps the avg before contact.  The fact we had so few carries the first 6 games of the season is going to inflate the yards per carry average.

What I would say is you have to consider some things.  How well do we run on 3rd,4th and 1.  how is our rushing offense on the goal line, how many rushing tds do we have.  I think we have one 100 yard rusher all year.  Many games Bortles has been our top runner.  Our line has held up reasonably well in pass protection but to be ranked as high as they have it in run blocking is absurd.

Numbers lie the eyes tell the truth.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:A couple things are drastically helping some of our stats in this piece.  A couple long Ivory and Bortles runs where they went untouched helps the avg before contact.  The fact we had so few carries the first 6 games of the season is going to inflate the yards per carry average.

What I would say is you have to consider some things.  How well do we run on 3rd,4th and 1.  how is our rushing offense on the goal line, how many rushing tds do we have.  I think we have one 100 yard rusher all year.  Many games Bortles has been our top runner.  Our line has held up reasonably well in pass protection but to be ranked as high as they have it in run blocking is absurd.

Numbers lie the eyes tell the truth.

Why do so few people who watch football every week for at least 4-5 months a year understand this?

Because we're all dumb and you are the smartest person in the world.

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:Mike Kaye posted a tweet that we've actually allowed the second fewest sacks through 13 weeks in franchise history.

Though I think Bortles deserves some credit there. A QB like say, Rivers, would be hit a lot more since he's not as mobile

Wow, that's impressive.

Quote:Wow, that's impressive.

Of course part of it is having a very mobile quarterback who knows when to run for a first down or score.

Quote:Mike Kaye posted a tweet that we've actually allowed the second fewest sacks through 13 weeks in franchise history.

Quote:Wow, that's impressive.

On the surface,  it's indeed impressive.

On the other hand,  currently Blake Bortles is 31st in the NFL in avg, yards Per Pass Attempt.   ( 6.07 )

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/playe...assAttempt

Though Bortles'  accuracy issues certainly contribute to the low per pass attempt number,  how much responsibility do the Jaguars pass blockers have in this?   

Quote:Calling Romo "one of the greats" is comparing him to Tom Brady, Peyton Manning ,etc.

Precisely. So what's the issue? I'd compare Romo to anyone.

'02

Great question D6. The yards per pass statistic is a lie. Greg Olson gets all of the blame for it because he called tons of short passes like sweeps and screens.

Quote:Precisely. So what's the issue? I'd compare Romo to anyone.

This issue is you are comparing Romo to the all-time best NFL quarterbacks, which is s-t-u-p-i-d.

Quote:he called tons of short passes like sweeps

Wow!

Quote:Though I think Bortles deserves some credit there. A QB like say, Rivers, would be hit a lot more since he's not as mobile
Blake giveth and Blake taketh away, however. He does escape some sacks with his mobility, but he also allows plenty of sacks that he wouldn't have to if he had a quicker release, or processed information faster, or had better pocket manipulation. Such as the strip sack at the end of the game last week. Blake sees it coming and just freezes. Rivers in that situation probably would have gotten the ball out quickly, or stepped up in the pocket and then gotten the ball out. 

Rivers also probably gets the ball out faster than Blake, makes quicker/smarter decisions than Blake and wouldn't need to be as mobile because of it.  They probably even out.  Blake allows some sacks too with poor pocket movement and his wind up.

Didn't read all entries but short and simple? They cannot run block worth a [BLEEP].

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I'd disagree. For every sack he maneuvers out of, he takes another because he backpedals straight back or can't figure out where he wants to go with the ball.

Although he appears a little better in recent weeks.