Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Potential Veteran QBs for 2014

I don't think we'll go the established QB route. We're rebuilding still, and theres more upside in a rookie QB for us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Any vet on the roster will be a stop gap to prepare the rookie if he's not ready yet.   Not a high priced FA.  

I'm in the minority who feels we need a veteran at QB to lead all the young players we have. I think Clowney will fall to us in the draft, and I can't see how we could pass on that amount of talent, for one of the QBs not named Bridgewater.

Cutler is obviously the best veteran option assuming Big Ben stays in Pittsburg as predicted.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2013, 03:05 PM by Jaggernaught85.)

Cutler is the only one who would be an improvement over Henne, but it's weighed down because he can't stay healthy and isn't consistent. Vick has reached has-been status, and also can't stay healthy, while Henne is better than both Schaub and Freeman at this point.  McCown is too old.  They will keep Henne for the foreseeable future as a caretaker-bridge until they draft the guy they want.  It's a lot cheaper and you don't have to rush the rookie in because Henne, for the most part, can run the offense and not put you into bad situations.  This isn't a ringing endorsement of Henne as much as it being the most realistic scenario.

Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless
;

;

Quote:Cutler is the only one who would be an improvement over Henne, but it's weighed down because he can't stay healthy and isn't consistent. Vick has reached has-been status, and also can't stay healthy, while Henne is better than both Schaub and Freeman at this point.  McCown is too old.  They will keep Henne for the foreseeable future as a caretaker-bridge until they draft the guy they want.  It's a lot cheaper and you don't have to rush the rookie in because Henne, for the most part, can run the offense and not put you into bad situations.  This isn't a ringing endorsement of Henne as much as it being the most realistic scenario.

Actually on that list the only two that aren't an upgrade over Henne are Schaub and Freeman. Schaub practically is Henne, Freeman is the worst, and the other guys on that list has performed significantly above Henne.

Quote:Actually on that list the only two that aren't an upgrade over Henne are Schaub and Freeman. Schaub practically is Henne, Freeman is the worst, and the other guys on that list has performed significantly above Henne.

Actually you may want to write "In my opinion" because simply asserting "Schaub practically is Henne" is very silly.  You could argue that except for this year, Schaub has performed significantly above Henne his entire career and is therefore better, not the same.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Actually you may want to write "In my opinion" because simply asserting "Schaub practically is Henne" is very silly.  You could argue that except for this year, Schaub has performed significantly above Henne his entire career and is therefore better, not the same.

Schaub has had some better stats because he's been on better teams, but he's a choker like Henne with a ceiling at game manager.

What kind of stats a guy can manage to get aren't nearly as relevant as how well he can carry a team.

The elite guys carry their teams, the game managers are carried by teams that pray they never have to rely on their QB to make the difference.

None of the above. 

I wouldn't swing big bucks at any of those guys, Cutler included.

Caldwell will get his own QB in the draft.  In 2014.  Watch.

Quote:Schaub has had some better stats because he's been on better teams, but he's a choker like Henne with a ceiling at game manager.

What kind of stats a guy can manage to get aren't nearly as relevant as how well he can carry a team.

The elite guys carry their teams, the game managers are carried by teams that pray they never have to rely on their QB to make the difference.

There's more than just categorizing players as "Elite" and then "Game Mangers".... there's guys that fall somewhere in between.  I would say Yes, Chad Henne is a game manager type of QB, and an average one at that.  I think Schaub is better than that but is also clearly not close to the elite level.  He is, IMO, more than just a game manager, as he has shown in years past. 

And getting an Elite QB isn't easy at all.  It's foolish to just throw everyone that's not elite to the curb.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:There's more than just categorizing players as "Elite" and then "Game Mangers".... there's guys that fall somewhere in between.  I would say Yes, Chad Henne is a game manager type of QB, and an average one at that.  I think Schaub is better than that but is also clearly not close to the elite level.  He is, IMO, more than just a game manager, as he has shown in years past. 

And getting an Elite QB isn't easy at all.  It's foolish to just throw everyone that's not elite to the curb.

What years past? What has Schaub ever done to show he's not a choker? Throwing for a lot of yards as his team continually loses isn't a convincing argument.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2013, 03:40 PM by SuperJville.)

Before Peyton Manning actually won a superbowl - was he also considered a choker and a QB that is "not elite".... please answer.

Even in the SEC he was a choker, was a choker early in his career, but people still thought he was elite because HE WAS elite.

Schaub hasn't been able to get the Texans to the superbowl... injuries also played part in it.  He's 1-1 in the playoffs, with his loss coming against Tom Brady.  Let's not pretend he's like 0-10.

Now, by no means am I saying Schaub is elite - but simply saying he is just like Henne is just wrong.

Quote:Before Peyton Manning actually won a superbowl - was he also considered a choker and a QB that is "not elite".... please answer.

Even in the SEC he was a choker, was a choker early in his career, but people still thought he was elite because HE WAS elite.

Schaub hasn't been able to get the Texans to the superbowl... injuries also played part in it.  He's 1-1 in the playoffs, with his loss coming against Tom Brady.  Let's not pretend he's like 0-10.

Now, by no means am I saying Schaub is elite - but simply saying he is just like Henne is just wrong.

Peyton has a penchant for choking in the playoffs, but his case was entirely different. During the regular season he had tons of games that he carried his team.

Peyton is an elite QB, but he's also a choker.

Schaub is a game manager and a choker.

However, you're right, he probably should be considered better than Henne. He's at least been smart enough through his career to not throw tons of brainless interceptions as Henne has. In the end, though, I'd rather not have either of them as my starting QB.

Schaub is 10x better than henne but still not good enough to carry a team to the superbowl.

Caldwell will find his own guy in the draft.

Quote: 

However, you're right, he probably should be considered better than Henne. He's at least been smart enough through his career to not throw tons of brainless interceptions as Henne has. In the end, though, I'd rather not have either of them as my starting QB.

Got ya.  I know what you mean.  I think my point is just that expecting to have the Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Wilsons of the world is very unrealistic.  You always hope you can land an elite QB - but making do with a guy like Schaub isn't terrible.  He can make your team watchable, competitive, heck even get them to the playoffs - while many QBs like Henne/Gabbert etc can not.

The Texans had 5 straight losing seasons before trading for Matt Schaub.  In the 6 years following that, the Texans had exactly 1 losing season and 2 Division titles.  That's worth something.  I know he hasn't gotten them to the promised land, but in the past 6 years the Texans have been relevant, while the Jags have not.....  and like it or not, part of that is because they have had a solid starter at QB in Matt Schaub.

Ideally you upgrade your QB position by drafting who you believe can be elite like Teddy Bridgewater.  If you can't (and there's a high possibility we can't), then maybe a guy like Cutler or even Schaub could be OK.  We can't simply throw in the towel again and hope we get Winston next year.

Speaking of Winston, do people think someone is gonna pull an RG3 trade up to get him.

If he is as good as is being projected I can see that happening.

In this years draft, I honesty think if Bridgewater is gone before we pick (likely) we should take Clowney/Barr and not one of the other QBs in the first

Quote:Got ya.  I know what you mean.  I think my point is just that expecting to have the Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Wilsons of the world is very unrealistic.  You always hope you can land an elite QB - but making do with a guy like Schaub isn't terrible.  He can make your team watchable, competitive, heck even get them to the playoffs - while many QBs like Henne/Gabbert etc can not.

The Texans had 5 straight losing seasons before trading for Matt Schaub.  In the 6 years following that, the Texans had exactly 1 losing season and 2 Division titles.  That's worth something.  I know he hasn't gotten them to the promised land, but in the past 6 years the Texans have been relevant, while the Jags have not.....  and like it or not, part of that is because they have had a solid starter at QB in Matt Schaub.

Ideally you upgrade your QB position by drafting who you believe can be elite like Teddy Bridgewater.  If you can't (and there's a high possibility we can't), then maybe a guy like Cutler or even Schaub could be OK.  We can't simply throw in the towel again and hope we get Winston next year.

See, I don't want a schaub. All a guy like that does is keeps guys like JDR employed. I want a team that isn't happy with someone of the Schaub/Garrard level and is always looking for the next elite QB. I know losing is crappy, but getting strung along for 10 years by mediocre play is terrible, too.

Quote:You guys definitely need a QB.  Drafting a QB high is risky, so do you think any veteran QBs that might be available next year would be good enough to win while you stock pile draft picks and build a team?

1. Jay Cutler:  I'm a Bronco fan and thought he had unlimited talent.  Interceptions and perceived attitude problems have been his bane, but he sure seems like he's grown up a lot in the past couple of years and still has a ton of talent and big play ability.  Pricey, though.

2. Josh McCown: Has played very well in Cutler's absence.  Good arm, good mobility.  One of the two will be available next year.

3.  Matt Schaub:  I think he's done in Houston.  He's a very good QB who had a down year this year.  I think the Texans will move on from him, but he definitely put up some good numbers in Houston.

4.  Mike Vick:  Tons of big play ability, but a bit injury prone.  Still a good QB who is good enough to win.

5. Josh Freeman:  Looked real good early in his career, but dropped off this year.  Young, good talent.  Might be able to put it together for another team.  Hasn't had much of a shot in Minn this year.

Any of these guys interest you?  You have some pieces in place.  A vet QB might be good enough to get you winning while building for the future.
Just thought I'd quote this because I can and you can't.

Jk

Glad you brought this up. Early this morning I was online checking out the 2014 FA qBs. I'm with the majority though. The only one I saw that peaked my interest was Cutler. However, I'm not sold on him either. Henne would be nice to have around as a back up next year. So that leaves it up to drafting whichever Caldwell likes, or a possible trade.

Quote:That's cute, Henne earned something.

As for McCarron, I don't want guys that managed a team full of college all stars. I want a guy that stood out and showed he's the one making things go.

Not my fault you don't get it.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I feel ya - but this franchise NEEDS to be relevant.  I don't think this fanbase can endure another 2-3 years of 2-4 wins.  The crowds will go away. 

I've been going to the game for a long time now, and people are frankly sick of it.  I want to be 8-8 again.  I want 9-7.  I want to be "in the hunt" in December .... win a playoff game or two.  Of course I'd like 14-2 more, but just waiting on some QB that may or may not work out while other decent QBs are available is madness.

Sucking for a long time while "waiting for the elite QB" is not an option IMO.  This team needs to be decent first and foremost, AND find that elite QB. 

I don't think we have to worry about signing Cutler, he will want to break the bank and with his attitude and injuries, he won't be a good fit for the Jags.

Cutler will either resign with the Bears or go to a team that thinks it's just a QB away from a serious SB run and throws a whole lot of money at him.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.