Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mariota was the favorite to be picked by the Texans according to report

I call BS. Texans didn't even have the top pick when he decided to stay. Plus no one knows what teams draft boards look like right now
[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's very likely that the Texans have a new GM and 100% that they will have a new coaching staff. Nobody has any indication of who they are going to pick, primarily because nobody knows who will be making the decision.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:It's very likely that the Texans have a new GM and 100% that they will have a new coaching staff. Nobody has any indication of who they are going to pick, primarily because nobody knows who will be making the decision.

I'm pretty sure McNair gave Rick Smith a vote of confidence.

Quote:I like Lovie Smith as a coach, but I figure they're getting the Rooney rule out of the way with an obvious candidate.

Long term, I'd be more afraid of Mariota on the Texans than Bridgewater.
Lovie Smith is in no way a pro forma Rooney Rule interview.

He had a good record in Chicago and he's from Texas, so supposedly McNair is familiar with him and likes him.

Not saying he gets the job, but just because he's black doesn't mean he's a Rooney Rule afterthought.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Lovie Smith is in no way a pro forma Rooney Rule interview.

He had a good record in Chicago and he's from Texas, so supposedly McNair is familiar with him and likes him.

Not saying he gets the job, but just because he's black doesn't mean he's a Rooney Rule afterthought.
I did say he was an "obvious candidate", but I now realize that wasn't very clear.

I meant he was obvious because of his record, not because of his skin colour.  Many teams like to get their ducks in a row with the league office early, though.

Smith is a good coach, and I think he got a raw deal in Chicago.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Of course the fact that Lovie Smith is black means the Texans did not interview a guy who is not deserving of the top job just to obey the Rooney Rule. That is my issue with the rule: not enough guys out there actually deserve to be NFL head coaches and just happen to be black, so teams have to interview coaches they know they don't want.

Back to the topic: I bet the Texans were thinking, "The Jaguars will get the first pick and draft Teddy Bridgewater, so we have to pick the second-best quarterback." Now that they have all but clinched, the Texans don't need to worry about that and pick whoever they think is the best quarterback.

after watching a lot more games with bortles, carr, and other top guys, bridgewater seems likely to be gone. mariota, im definitely not too high on because i feel he is gonna need some work and is a  bit of a project, but he is the best combination of upside and ability to step right in and not be terrible. the jags have to get a qb and this guy could be a franchise guy but its gonna be a slow process. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."