Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pittsburgh Rookie Fined For Block On Punter, What A Crock

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...--nfl.html

They really need to change to flags. It's beyond ridiculous.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...--nfl.html

You and JaguarsWoman are really on a crusade, aren't you. I look forward to when one of you officiates your first game.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:You and JaguarsWoman are really on a crusade, aren't you? I look forward to when one of you officiates your first game.

What crusade are you talking about? I know I can't do anything about it.

If Merriweather does that to a punter, he is called a cheap shot artist. 

it didnt seem intentional from what i remember

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/pittsburgh-steelers-terence-garvin-fined-25-000-block-220522400--nfl.html'>http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/pittsburgh-steelers-terence-garvin-fined-25-000-block-220522400--nfl.html</a>

He had a helmet to helmet hit, that is illegal no matter who it is on. Its stupid that people act like it was a clean block. It wasn't. The coverage on this is nonsense, yes the rule is stupid but that hit is still completely illegal. That steeler player deserved the fine.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:He had a helmet to helmet hit, that is illegal no matter who it is on. Its stupid that people act like it was a clean block. It wasn't. The coverage on this is nonsense, yes the rule is stupid but that hit is still completely illegal. That steeler player deserved the fine.

You are dead wrong.  During a play its not illegal except on a defenseless player.  They are now saying that a punter is defenseless the entire play.  If thats the case, he should punt the ball and run off the field, not try to make the tackle.

http://m.si.com/3697853/nfl-hit-on-benga...r-illegal/

Quote:What crusade are you talking about? I know I can't do anything about it.

The one sponsored by Monty Python..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:He had a helmet to helmet hit, that is illegal no matter who it is on. It's stupid that people act like it was a clean block. It wasn't. The coverage on this is nonsense, yes the rule is stupid but that hit is still completely illegal. That Steelers player deserved the fine.

What rule is stupid? He used his helmet to hit the punter's helmet. Anybody who knows anything about concussions will tell you making that illegal is a great rule. Now we know why the punter is called  a defenseless player - because he is.

I can't believe anyone thought it was a clean block. Clean blocks don't cause one helmet to hit another like that. Now I am sure Garvin was not trying to hurt Huber, but that was a dirty cheap shot.

Get well soon, Kevin.

Quote:What rule is stupid? He used his helmet to hit the punter's helmet. Anybody who knows anything about concussions will tell you making that illegal is a great rule. Now we know why the punter is called  a defenseless player - because he is.

I can't believe anyone thought it was a clean block. Clean blocks don't cause one helmet to hit another like that. Now I am sure Garvin was not trying to hurt Huber, but that was a dirty cheap shot.

Get well soon, Kevin.

If the punter is so defenseless, why was he trying to make a tackle?  If he's defenseless kick the little ball and get your butt out of the way so real men can play some football.

Why dont we take offensive and defensive lineman off the field?  I mean the touch helmets practically every single play.  Lets do it, all for the sake of making the game safer! 

Quote:If the punter is so defenseless, why was he trying to make a tackle?  If he's defenseless kick the little ball and get your butt out of the way so real men can play some football.

Why dont we take offensive and defensive lineman off the field?  I mean the touch helmets practically every single play.  Lets do it, all for the sake of making the game safer! 

When he is on the field, all he can think about is stopping the Steeler who caught his punt because no other Bengal did it for him. He can't worry about a rookie trying to hit him in the head.

Quote:When he is on the field, all he can think about is stopping the Steeler who caught his punt because no other Bengal did it for him. He can't worry about a rookie trying to hit him in the head.

LOL, so if he is able to make a tackle and willingly goes to make the tackle, how is he defenseless?

If he's defenseless to be hit by other players, he should not be allowed to hit anyone.

Quote:LOL, so if he is able to make a tackle and willingly goes to make the tackle, how is he defenseless?

If he's defenseless to be hit by other players, he should not be allowed to hit anyone.

I think this error in the rule was put in place because teams don't have backup punters, so when one gets hurt in a game, the kicker (who kicks differently) must work double duty.

Quote:I think this error in the rule was put in place because teams don't have backup punters, so when one gets hurt in a game, the kicker (who kicks differently) must work double duty.

Mike Nugent had to punt that night. It was pretty ugly.

Quote:You and JaguarsWoman are really on a crusade, aren't you. I look forward to when one of you officiates your first game.
This has nothing to do with officiating, but yes, the officiating is terrible too. This play wasn't flagged.

I coach. Sorry, maybe in the future I will officiate though. These guys get compensated very well, enough not to blow some of the obvious stuff they have. Even after replay!

I can't believe anyone can stick up for that garbage.

;

Quote:If the punter is so defenseless, why was he trying to make a tackle?  If he's defenseless kick the little ball and get your butt out of the way so real men can play some football.

I always get a good laugh when I see the term "Defenseless Player". No player is defenseless. A WR doesn't have to climb the ladder to go get a ball or run across the middle. That punter didn't have to attempt to make a tackle, etc., etc. Such crap.

;

Quote:What crusade are you talking about? I know I can't do anything about it.
You do post after post regarding the officials. You must bet heavily.

You never responded to my inquiry as to how the officials are "biased" (your word).

"Defenseless player" status for the punter is dumb.

The hit was, however, a classic lead with the crown of the helmet hit.  I'm beginning to wonder if they just teach that crap in Pittsburgh.  Maybe James Harrison was more innocent than I thought.  He hasn't had many helmet-to-helmets since changing uniforms.

Garvin got off cheap.  Huber didn't.  It's gonna cost at least 25k to fix his jaw.

Quote:"Defenseless player" status for the punter is dumb.

The hit was, however, a classic lead with the crown of the helmet hit.  I'm beginning to wonder if they just teach that crap in Pittsburgh.  Maybe James Harrison was more innocent than I thought.  He hasn't had many helmet-to-helmets since changing uniforms.

Garvin got off cheap.  Huber didn't.  It's gonna cost at least 25k to fix his jaw.
And Huber may be advised to retire, due to the neck injury.

Quote:Mike Nugent had to punt that night. It was pretty ugly.

I don't think he ever punted before. He didn't punt for the Buckeyes or Jets before joining the Bengals. So I would expect it to be ugly.

Quote:You do post after post regarding the officials. You must bet heavily.

You never responded to my inquiry as to how the officials are "biased" (your word).

A perfect example is the Ravens/Lions game Monday night. Pass interference on the Lions that did not happen. Face mask instead of hands to the face on the Lions. No flag thrown for obvious pass interference by the Ravens. How is that not officials wanting the Ravens to win?

Quote:"Defenseless player" status for the punter is dumb.

The hit was, however,  a classic lead with the crown of the helmet hit.  I'm beginning to wonder if they just teach that crap in Pittsburgh.  Maybe James Harrison was more innocent than I thought.  He hasn't had many helmet-to-helmets since changing uniforms.

Garvin got off cheap.  Huber didn't. It's gonna cost at least 25k to fix his jaw.

If it was a Steelers thing, everybody on Pittsburgh's defense would be a dirty player.

Garvin did not get off cheap. The fine is $1,000 more than his weekly paycheck because he is a rookie. Huber is wearing a neck brace because a vertebra also cracked.