Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pittsburgh Rookie Fined For Block On Punter, What A Crock

Nonsense. He didn't pick on the punter because he was the punter, he picked on him because his head wasn't on a swivel and he never saw it coming! He deserves the fine for an intentional cheap shot helmet to neck (screw the head area) hit. It's got nothing to do with flag football, it's got to do with one guy taking his chance at a cheap shot and getting called for it (after the fact).

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I don't think he ever punted before. He didn't punt for the Buckeyes or Jets before joining the Bengals. So I would expect it to be ugly.

A perfect example is the Ravens/Lions game Monday night. Pass interference on the Lions that did not happen. Face mask instead of hands to the face on the Lions. No flag thrown for obvious pass interference by the Ravens. How is that not officials wanting the Ravens to win?

If it was a Steelers thing, everybody on Pittsburgh's defense would be a dirty player.

Garvin did not get off cheap. The fine is $1,000 more than his weekly paycheck because he is a rookie. Huber is wearing a neck brace because a vertebra also cracked.

Possibly ruin a guy's career, and you're out less than a game check?  Not to mention that because it wasn't called, the Steelers got a touchdown out of it and seriously hampered their opponent's ability to win the game by knocking out their only punter?

Sorry JW, that's dirt cheap.  Not to mention, he'll be playing this Sunday.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2013, 12:10 AM by jag86fan.)

Don't forget having to be really idle until his neck verterbra or vertebrae heal...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
;

This is true, but they all don't catch passes in the middle from Peyton Manning... Not all QB's leave their WR's out to dry...

;
Charles Schultz
;

;
;

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2013, 12:09 AM by jag86fan.)

I thought the punter was just being a football player. Only Tom Brady and Peyton Manning wouldn't have tried to make a tackle...And neither one plays  on Special Teams...

;
Charles Schultz
;

;
;

Quote:Possibly ruin a guy's career, and you're out less than a game check?  Not to mention that because it wasn't called, the Steelers got a touchdown out of it and seriously hampered their opponent's ability to win the game by knocking out their only punter?

Where did you get "less than a game check" from? I said it is more than a game check.

I don't think that was Huber's last punt. He will be OK after the bones heal. But it certainly will make him think twice before trying to tackle his return man.

Quote:I thought the punter was just being a football player. Only Tom Brady and Peyton Manning wouldn't have tried to make a tackle...And neither one plays  on Special Teams...

Most punters just push the guy out of bounds if he is running near the sideline. Huber did not have that option in the middle of the field, so he had to attempt a tackle.

Just wondering, do punters ever practice tackling?

I guess you never saw Brian Barker tackle a guy. And don't get me started on PK mike Hollis...They didn't call him "Mighty Mouse" because of the way the football flew off his foot...

;
Charles Schultz
;

;
;

Quote:Where did you get "less than a game check" from? I said it is more than a game check.

I don't think that was Huber's last punt. He will be OK after the bones heal. But it certainly will make him think twice before trying to tackle his return man.
OK, maybe I'm missing something.

The rookie minimum is $405,000/yr.  They play 16 games.  $405000/16 = $25,312.50.

But yeah, I guess there are preseason games and they do get paid for training camp.  I'll concede he may have gotten zapped a little more than a game check, but still cheap for what he was able to accomplish.

And another thing:  Every once in a while, when you hit a player the way Garvin did, you paralyze him.

The punter is defenseless just like the QB is if he throws a INT. They are free to make a tackle and get hit but you cant go blast the QB helmet to helmet.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2013, 12:33 AM by Adam2012.)

Quote:A perfect example is the Ravens/Lions game Monday night. Pass interference on the Lions that did not happen. Face mask instead of hands to the face on the Lions. No flag thrown for obvious pass interference by the Ravens. How is that not officials wanting the Ravens to win?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2013, 12:39 AM by Adam2012.)

Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-time="1387511489" data-cid="87246" data-author="JaguarsWoman">A perfect example is the Ravens/Lions game Monday night. Pass interference on the Lions that did not happen. Face mask instead of hands to the face on the Lions. No flag thrown for obvious pass interference by the Ravens. How is that not officials wanting the Ravens to win?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An incredibly stupid statement.

So every incorrect (to your eyes) call is proof that a ref is throwing a game?

You've got a scoop! Alert the media! You've unearthed a giant conspiracy to fix games!

Please provide more details. Which refs are involved and how much money are they making? I'm sure you have the details readily available. I'm looking forward to learning more.

Don't worry, I'll wait.
[/quote]
</blockquote>

Quote:OK, maybe I'm missing something.

The rookie minimum is $405,000/yr.  They play 16 games.  $405000/16 = $25,312.50.

But yeah, I guess there are preseason games and they do get paid for training camp.  I'll concede he may have gotten zapped a little more than a game check, but still cheap for what he was able to accomplish.

And another thing:  Every once in a while, when you hit a player the way Garvin did, you paralyze him.

In absolute terms, $25K is a lot less than what the fine could have been. But when you see his weekly paycheck is smaller than the fine amount, it does not look cheap.

I know broken necks sometimes cause paralysis. I also know Kevin Huber did not suffer any spinal cord damage and the vertebra is just "cracked." Terance Garvin would have been fined a lot more if Huber was paralyzed.

Quote:In absolute terms, $25K is a lot less than what the fine could have been. But when you see his weekly paycheck is smaller than the fine amount, it does not look cheap.

I know broken necks sometimes cause paralysis. I also know Kevin Huber did not suffer any spinal cord damage and the vertebra is just "cracked." Terance Garvin would have been fined a lot more if Huber was paralyzed.
The money's immaterial when a player is permanently disabled.

Huber could have been paralyzed.  For that matter, he could've been killed.  Blowing up the punter's pretty cute until someone's in a wheelchair.

You and I have different ideas on what a substantial fine is, JW.  25k is nothing when you're pulling down over 400k a year, especially for something as reckless and stupid as what Garvin did.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on that, because it's purely subjective.

Quote:The money's immaterial when a player is permanently disabled.

Huber could have been paralyzed.  For that matter, he could've been killed.  Blowing up the punter's pretty cute until someone's in a wheelchair.

You and I have different ideas on what a substantial fine is, JW.  25k is nothing when you're pulling down over 400k a year, especially for something as reckless and stupid as what Garvin did.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on that, because it's purely subjective.

Thank God Kevin Huber was not paralyzed, just broken. It seems almost every time a vertebra breaks, the spinal cord also is injured, so in that sense he was lucky.

One thing we can agree on: a flag should have been thrown immediately.

Quote:You do post after post regarding the officials. You must bet heavily.

You never responded to my inquiry as to how the officials are "biased" (your word).
This thread has nothing to do with officials. And what post are you referring to where I used biased at? I seriously can't remember.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Possibly ruin a guy's career, and you're out less than a game check?  Not to mention that because it wasn't called, the Steelers got a touchdown out of it and seriously hampered their opponent's ability to win the game by knocking out their only punter?

Blocking is cheap now. Awesome.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:This thread has nothing to do with officials. And what post are you referring to where I used biased at? I seriously can't remember.
Unless I screwed up, this post was a response to JaguarsWoman, who goes on and on about the officials and is stupid enough to think they are "biased". I'm not sure she knows what that means. I know I don't know what she means.

Quote:I guess you never saw Brian Barker tackle a guy.

Brian Barker is the man...

Kevin Huber: defenseless player is stupid,,, illegal helmet to helmet is right on.

It's a shame for Huber. I watch/ attend many Bengal games. Huber is undoubtedly one of the best punters in the league. He flies completely under the radar. But, that guy has been "big time money," for the most part, with extremely deep kicks and pinning opponents deep in their own territory. He has done this consistently through the past couple seasons, especially late in games when it's very important.

His loss hurts the Bengals (I know, its just a punter), but Huber is very, very good.

Quote:Brian Barker is the man...

Kevin Huber: defenseless player is stupid. illegal helmet to helmet is right on.

It's a shame for Huber. I watch/attend many Bengal games. Huber is undoubtedly one of the best punters in the league. He flies completely under the radar. But, that guy has been "big time money," for the most part, with extremely deep kicks and pinning opponents deep in their own territory. He has done this consistently through the past couple seasons, especially late in games when it's very important.

His loss hurts the Bengals (I know, its just a punter), but Huber is very, very good.

I hate the "just a punter" crap. Punters are no less football players than the other 21 players on the field. Urban Meyer thinks the most important play is the punt.

The "defenseless player" complaints can stop. Helmet collisions are never allowed no matter what position the other guy plays and that was what happened.

If Kevin Huber is one of the best punters in the NFL why did only Bengals fans talk about him before he got hurt? It sucks that he only gained national attention for a very painful reason instead of his left leg.