Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pittsburgh Rookie Fined For Block On Punter, What A Crock

Punters are a dime a dozen. Huber was very, very good at his job, but any team that depends on their punter is playing not to lose. Also, as bad as the hit was, if Huber had kept his head on a swivel he wouldn't have gotten blind-sided. He would have seen Garvin coming and protected himself as necessary...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Punters are a dime a dozen. Huber was very, very good at his job, but any team that depends on their punter is playing not to lose. Also, as bad as the hit was, if Huber had kept his head on a swivel he wouldn't have gotten blind-sided. He would have seen Garvin coming and protected himself as necessary...

Make that is very good at his job. Because he was not paralyzed, I see no reason he can't play again.

He should not have needed to keep his head on a swivel. How often do you see an offensive player hit a defensive player who is trying to tackle somebody? It is like that, except the tackler does not play on defense. Special teams coaches don't spend much time teaching punters how to avoid an illegal hit while trying to tackle the returner. Hopefully they will start to do that next season now that they know punters have to learn everything. Of course I am not blaming Cincinnati's special teams coach.

Quote:I hate the "just a punter" crap. Punters are no less football players than the other 21 players on the field. Urban Meyer thinks the most important play is the punt.

The "defenseless player" complaints can stop. Helmet collisions are never allowed no matter what position the other guy plays and that was what happened.

If Kevin Huber is one of the best punters in the NFL why did only Bengals fans talk about him before he got hurt? It sucks that he only gained national attention for a very painful reason instead of his left leg.

If a punter is a "defenseless player"....then yes, they are not real football players.

Edit:  Urban Meyer is trash.

QB's get blindsided because they have to trust their blockers. Every other football player on every football field has to keep his head on a swivel to protect himself while trying to make a play in open space. To say anything else is ludicrous.

And for Huber, this season is over. I have no way of knowing what kind of medical treatment he'll have for his fractured vertebra. He may or may not be able to come back from his injury, which for all intents and purposes is actually a broken neck. Not to mention the whole broken jaw thing.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
;

Quote:If a punter is a "defenseless player"....then yes, they are not real football players.

Edit:  Urban Meyer is trash.

Even quarterbacks and wide receivers are defenseless players, so what is your point?

Quote:Even quarterbacks and wide receivers are defenseless players, so what is your point?

In specific instances they are, this ruling is that the punter is "defenseless through the end of the play" which is a crock.  Even Tom Terrific and The Fivehead don't get that kind of protection.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

1. I hate cheap shots. Cheap shots are what made Hines Ward my least player NFL player, ever.

2. I don't mind flags and personal fouls for cheap shots.

3. I don't really consider this a cheap shot. If the block was on any player other than the punter, it wouldn't be an issue.

That being said, there are times where blocking the punter is a cheap shot. Google "Cheap shot on Rocca". In that play, the punter is 30 yards away from the play. That is a cheap shot. It is plain dirty.

The block by the Steelers player may be illegal due to helmet to helmet rules, but I don't think it was a dirty play. If he doesn't make that block and the punter prevents the touchdown, you don't think the Steelers player would potentially lose his job on punt-return?

The only thing that made it a dirty play was the punter's inability to understand that he could be blocked on the play...

;
Charles Schultz
;

;
;

You think it was his first time playing football?

Quote:1. I hate cheap shots. Cheap shots are what made Hines Ward my least player NFL player, ever.

2. I don't mind flags and personal fouls for cheap shots.

3. I don't really consider this a cheap shot. If the block was on any player other than the punter, it wouldn't be an issue.

That being said, there are times where blocking the punter is a cheap shot. Google "Cheap shot on Rocca." In that play, the punter is 30 yards away from the play. That is a cheap shot.  It is plain dirty.

The block by the Steelers player may be illegal due to helmet to helmet rules, but I don't think it was a dirty play. If he doesn't make that block and the punter prevents the touchdown, you don't think the Steelers player would potentially lose his job on punt-return?

When a player uses his head to hit your head, it is intentional and a cheap shot. The only exception is when you duck your head to make it look like an accident (see the sack on Tom Brady that gave the Patriots 15 yards). That was not what happened there. Whenever a helmet collision occurs, it does not matter if one player is a punter.

Terance Garvin would not lose his job by missing one block. And actually he could have blocked Kevin Huber without hitting his head.

I realize you've never played football, but if you think that anytime you use your head it is malicious and intentional, then you are more ignorant than I made you out to be. I use to thing that you were just uninformed, but now I'm starting to realize it is ignorance and not lack of knowledge.

Quote:When a player uses his head to hit your head, it is intentional and a cheap shot.

No it isn't. It's a fast game and stuff happens.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I realize you've never played football, but if you think that anytime you use your head it is malicious and intentional, then you are more ignorant than I made you out to be. I use to thing that you were just uninformed, but now I'm starting to realize it is ignorance and not lack of knowledge.

I think "uninformed" and "lack of knowledge" are pretty much the same thing. Believe I am ignorant all you want to, but I am not trying to be.

Quote:I think "uninformed" and "lack of knowledge" are pretty much the same thing. Believe I am ignorant all you want to, but I am not trying to be.

Uninformed and lack of knowledge are pretty much the same thing, which is why I used them interchangeably.

You are not trying to be ignorant? You literally just said that every time a player uses his head to hit your head, it is intentional and a cheap shot. I've had helmet-to-helmet contact in my days in both practice and games. Does that mean it was intentional? No. Does that mean it was malicious? No. NFL players play at a much higher speed than I ever did, so highly disagree with the notion that every helmet-to-helmet hit is intentional and malicious.

Quote:Uninformed and lack of knowledge are pretty much the same thing, which is why I used them interchangeably.

You are not trying to be ignorant? You literally just said that every time a player uses his head to hit your head, it is intentional and a cheap shot. I've had helmet-to-helmet contact in my days in both practice and games. Does that mean it was intentional? No. Does that mean it was malicious? No. NFL players play at a much higher speed than I ever did, so highly disagree with the notion that every helmet-to-helmet hit is intentional and malicious.

You missed this part: if he clearly aims directly for the head and the offensive player did not move to make it an accident. That is what I call a dirty cheap shot.

Quote:I realize you've never played football, but if you think that anytime you use your head it is malicious and intentional, then you are more ignorant than I made you out to be. I use to thing that you were just uninformed, but now I'm starting to realize it is ignorance and not lack of knowledge.

Every time you lead with your helmet it is malicious and intentional. If you aren't doing in intentionally you are just dumb, which is also ignorance.

Quote:Every time you lead with your helmet it is malicious and intentional. If you aren't doing in intentionally you are just dumb, which is also ignorance.

More ignorance.

I think it's a cheap shot. The blocker had plenty of opportunity to simply get his hands out in front of him and deliver a text book block that would have taking the defender out of the play. Instead he choose to launch himself into the defender.

No need to hit a punter that hard. I'd understand if he was bigger, and at another position, but the blocker knew what kind of player that guy was. Would you guys be fine if that was Anger or Scobee? That's what I thought.

Doesn't matter who the Punter is, if he's trying to make a play you try to block him hard enough to take him out of the play. I believe the Ref's will call unnecessary roughness if you take out a Punter or Kicker when he's not even trying to make a play. I'm sorry Huber broke his neck, but I'll bet he'll keep his head on a swivel next season.

As for helmet to helmet hits the NFL has just recently outlawed them, and now NFL players have to unlearn the techniques that a lot of them have been taught since their Pop Warner days/..

;
Charles Schultz
;

;
;