Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pittsburgh Rookie Fined For Block On Punter, What A Crock

Quote:Doesn't matter who the Punter is, if he's trying to make a play you try to block him hard enough to take him out of the play. I believe the Ref's will call unnecessary roughness if you take out a Punter or Kicker when he's not even trying to make a play. I'm sorry Huber broke his neck, but I'll bet he'll keep his head on a swivel next season.

As for helmet to helmet hits the NFL has just recently outlawed them, and now NFL players have to unlearn the techniques that a lot of them have been taught since their Pop Warner days/..

Well said.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Doesn't matter who the Punter is, if he's trying to make a play you try to block him hard enough to take him out of the play. I believe the Ref's will call unnecessary roughness if you take out a Punter or Kicker when he's not even trying to make a play. I'm sorry Huber broke his neck, but I'll bet he'll keep his head on a swivel next season.

As for helmet to helmet hits the NFL has just recently outlawed them, and now NFL players have to unlearn the techniques that a lot of them have been taught since their Pop Warner days/..

You need better coaching if using your helmet is a learned technique.

Quote:More ignorance.

How is leading with your helmet not intentional?

Quote:How is leading with your helmet not intentional?

Not ever helmet-to-helmet hit is intentional. My helmet has hit other players helmets before and it was:

1. Unintentional

2. Not malicious

Quote:When a player uses his head to hit your head, it is intentional and a cheap shot. The only exception is when you duck your head to make it look like an accident (see the sack on Tom Brady that gave the Patriots 15 yards). That was not what happened there. Whenever a helmet collision occurs, it does not matter if one player is a punter.

Terance Garvin would not lose his job by missing one block. And actually he could have blocked Kevin Huber without hitting his head.
You. Just. Gotta. Stop.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:No need to hit a punter that hard. I'd understand if he was bigger, and at another position, but the blocker knew what kind of player that guy was. Would you guys be fine if that was Anger or Scobee? That's what I thought.
I would.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Tell that to all the "Take out the head and the body will fall" coaches that have existed since football was invented... Or Sean Payton...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Quote:Tell that to all the "Take out the head and the body will fall" coaches that have existed since football was invented... Or Sean Payton...

So what do you suggest because apparently hitting anyone with any sort of force now a days is illegal?

Offensive lineman hit heads EVERY play....how do we stop that?

Nobody is saying that dirty hits should be allowed.  Its a simple arguement that if a punter or kicker has the cajones to go make a tackle, he better prepared to get his block knocked off.

I suggest not teaching players to use their helmets as a weapon, and correcting the techniques of any players who do.

Not sure what your other point is as I've stated before that if a Punter or Kicker tries to make a tackle he should know that someone's going to try to block him, and he should always keep his head on a swivel.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
;

Quote:I suggest not teaching players to use their helmets as a weapon, and correcting the techniques of any players who do.

Not sure what your other point is as I've stated before that if a Punter or Kicker tries to make a tackle he should know that someone's going to try to block him, and he should always keep his head on a swivel.

I disagree that leading with your head is a learned technique.  I played for quite a long time and I never once had a coach teach that, in fact, most coaches tell you to lead with your head up so you dont lead with the crown of your head. 

It's the natural reaction when trying to make a tackle for some people.  They need to teach themselves to stop doing it, sure....but its always going to happen because most players play on instincts.

Step on toes. (Square up)

Bite the ball. (Face mask up and to the side)

Rip. (Bring your arms through)

Grab cloth. (Grab the back of their jersey)

Pull. (Bring them down).

That is how we learned to tackle to avoid neck injuries. If you honestly think coaches try to get their players paralyzed then I'm through with this discussion.

"Get your head across."  Something I heard every football practice. 

It is just the way you tackle. 

I'm just curious. Who came up with "launching" one's self?

;
Charles Schultz
;

;
;

Quote:"Get your head across."  Something I heard every football practice. 

It is just the way you tackle. 

Get your head across doesnt mean you hit with your head though.  It means get your head across their body so that you wrap up and make the tackle.

Quote:Get your head across doesnt mean you hit with your head though.  It means get your head across their body so that you wrap up and make the tackle.

I get that, but I mean if you are about to wrap up, more than likely you are going to hit that player with your helmet first.