Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We could very well have a Super Bowl with both QBs having a combine 4 years of experience.

The Dallas Cowboys, led by a rookie, and the Oakland Raiders, led by Carr, who's been in the league three years now.

Even more interesting to me....neither QB was a first round choice.  Neither was hyped much before the draft, with both falling into the second tier of QBs.

There's a lesson for the Jags in this. Why do we need to take a QB in the first round? It's no guarantee of success.  Look at our history - we took three QBs in the first round. Leftwich didn't pan out. Gabbert was a bust. Bortles, unfortunately, doesn't look like he'll be the guy.  The QB the Jags actually drafted with the most success?  Dave Garrard, in the third (or was it fourth) round.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So, if you're looking for a QB you shouldn't take the best QB as rated by your scouts?

What makes you think the guy you think is a "good take" as a third round selection is going to work out?

Take the highest rated QB or get rid of your scouts and just pick from a hat.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:So, if you're looking for a QB you shouldn't take the best QB as rated by your scouts?

What makes you think the guy you think is a "good take" as a third round selection is going to work out?

Take the highest rated QB or get rid of your scouts and just pick from a hat.
 The scouts were wrong on Leftwich, Gabbert, and probably Bortles.

Quote: The scouts were wrong on Leftwich, Gabbert, and probably Bortles.

So just throw out scouting entirely?  What kind of logic is that?

Quote:So just throw out scouting entirely?  What kind of logic is that?

What you mentioned reminds me of the Lions missing on three 1st Round picks at QB :  Chuck Long,  Andre Ware,  and Joey Harrington.  

It's easy to become skeptical that your favorite team will find the answer at the position.  To the credit of former Lions QB Martin Mayhew,  he didn't let the team's QB draft history prevent him from taking Matthew Stafford with pick # 1 in 2009.   

Though teams can find QBs as a draft goes on,  it's much more likely you will find a Franchise QB in Round 1.

Quote: The scouts were wrong on Leftwich, Gabbert, and probably Bortles.
So under your rationale, because the Colts were wrong on Art Schlichter, Jim Harbaugh and Jeff George, they should not have drafted Peyton Manning?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Baker Mayfield

Quote:So under your rationale, because the Colts were wrong on Art Schlichter, Jim Harbaugh and Jeff George, they should not have drafted Peyton Manning?

I'm saying our scouts were wrong.  I'm saying it's just as likely we can get a good QB in the early to middle rounds as with the first pick.

Quote:I'm saying our scouts were wrong. I'm saying it's just as likely we can get a good QB in the early to middle rounds as with the first pick.

Not true. You're just naming the exceptions. Go look at the list of qbs in the nfl right now. I'd say 80% or more of the good ones are 1st round picks.

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm starting to think the nfl is becoming more rigged with each passing year.

The amount of penalties that get called against the Jag's favor is ridiculous. The amount of interference that never gets called for Arob is insane.

For all we know, the superbowl outcome might have been predetermined last year. The NFL is an entertainment industry, they use storylines to generate higher ratings. So why have so many recent superbowls had significant narratives? Here are a couple examples:

The "Patriots" post 9/11 run.

The Saints 40 years of losing, then winning a title for a Katrina ravaged city.

The Harbaugh Bowl / Ray Lewis retirment

Manning's Retirement Bowl

The nba and mlb might be guilty of manipulating the outcome of their seasons as well.

I don't want it to be true. I hope I'm just crazy from being a Jags fan. But i can't help but think how easy it is for refs to influence games with a couple well timed flags.

If the past 10 years is any indication, the nfl doesn't want the Jaguars to succeed. That could potentially hurt their ratings. And Khan is fine that. The NFL is a corporation with 32 departments. The total league revenues are shared equally so there is no punishment for owning Jacksonville vs Detroit vs Dallas.

Quote:Wouldn't surprise me. I'm starting to think the nfl is becoming more rigged with each passing year.

The amount of penalties that get called against the Jag's favor is ridiculous. The amount of interference that never gets called for Arob is insane.

For all we know, the superbowl outcome might have been predetermined last year. The NFL is an entertainment industry, they use storylines to generate higher ratings. So why have so many recent superbowls had significant narratives? Here are a couple examples:

The "Patriots" post 9/11 run.

The Saints 40 years of losing, then winning a title for a Katrina ravaged city.

The Harbaugh Bowl / Ray Lewis retirment

Manning's Retirement Bowl

The nba and mlb might be guilty of manipulating the outcome of their seasons as well.

I don't want it to be true. I hope I'm just crazy from being a Jags fan. But i can't help but think how easy it is for refs to influence games with a couple well timed flags.

If the past 10 years is any indication, the nfl doesn't want the Jaguars to succeed. That could potentially hurt their ratings. And Khan is fine that. The NFL is a corporation with 32 departments. The total league revenues are shared equally so there is no punishment for owning Jacksonville vs Detroit vs Dallas.

You are just scratching the surface. There's real meat here, keep digging.

I don't think either team will wind up in the Super Bowl.

Quote:I don't think either team will wind up in the Super Bowl.

Yup. Raiders defense is not good enough to get there and you'll never convince me a rookie QB/RB duo will do it.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS