Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Get'n some national love

I'm not one to complain or really care what the media thinks of us but i know it's a topic of conversation.  Thus i giveth you:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/new...?eref=sihp

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wow, 20th, huh? Not bad for the "worst team EVARR" Wink

Quote:Wow, 20th, huh? Not bad for the "worst team EVARR" Wink
Not sure i really agree with the  ranking, but I'll take it!

top 20

I think nfl.com has jags at 25

Pete Prisco has us 25th and says,

"They have won four of five since their bye and three in a row. Credit goes to coach Gus Bradley."

Pat Kirwan has us 24th and says,

"Mental toughness, professional pride, guts -- call it what you want -- the Jaguars never gave up when they were 0-8. They have a few winnable games left and could find themselves not drafting in the top 10."

I liked the part about mental toughness, professional pride, and guts. 

We're going to be good next year, with a QB we'd be in the playoffs this year no doubt in my mind. 

Quote:We're going to be good next year, with a QB we'd be in the playoffs this year no doubt in my mind. 

I respectfully disagree.   I don't think this team would make the playoffs even if we had a good QB.    I think we're a ways away from the playoffs.  Right now, if we had to play the same schedule we had for the first 8 games, I think we'd be 2-6 at best.   We don't have enough pass rush to compete with the Peyton Mannings of the world.  

This team was dismantled in the last offseason.  It's a house that has been torn down to the studs.  We've barely started rebuilding.  

Quote:I respectfully disagree.   I don't think this team would make the playoffs even if we had a good QB.    I think we're a ways away from the playoffs.  Right now, if we had to play the same schedule we had for the first 8 games, I think we'd be 2-6 at best.   We don't have enough pass rush to compete with the Peyton Mannings of the world.  

This team was dismantled in the last offseason.  It's a house that has been torn down to the studs.  We've barely started rebuilding.  
2-6 first half and 7-1 possible in second half. That's very close to the playoffs if not in.lol I think your right though to many of those early games were blowouts, maybe they would have been closer. 

"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:I respectfully disagree.   I don't think this team would make the playoffs even if we had a good QB.    I think we're a ways away from the playoffs.  Right now, if we had to play the same schedule we had for the first 8 games, I think we'd be 2-6 at best.   We don't have enough pass rush to compete with the Peyton Mannings of the world.  

I agree with this. I think there is still a lot of work to be done, but you can't help but ooze optimism about the future. This team stayed the course despite what just about everyone was saying. Hell, we had Jag fans jumping ship like rats up until a month or so ago.

The thing I love the most is win or lose, this staff is keeping the same message, vision, and focus. Nobody has been able to sway it. That says more about what's going on here than anything to me.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

You do realize that with 2 additional wins right now, we'd hold the Wildcard playoff spot, and would still be fighting for the division... right?  I'd even argue that we might beat the Colts with a good QB at the helm.  Which would have us in the lead for the wildcard, and we'd lead the division.  

We still need more pieces, of course.  Upgrade the o-line, a good qb, and a pass rusher would have this team at least competing for a playoff spot (outside of the unrealistic chances we have right now)

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:You do realize that with 2 additional wins right now, we'd hold the Wildcard playoff spot, and would still be fighting for the division... right?  I'd even argue that we might beat the Colts with a good QB at the helm.  Which would have us in the lead for the wildcard, and we'd lead the division.  

We still need more pieces, of course.  Upgrade the o-line, a good qb, and a pass rusher would have this team at least competing for a playoff spot (outside of the unrealistic chances we have right now)
Making the playoffs is nice and all, but even if the Jags did, it would likely be one and done. There are still too many areas that are weak. Both lines, QB, LB, TE, even possibly RB after this year. That's a lot of empty space.

Look, I'm not downing what the Jags are doing. I'm just staying realistic about what needs to happen before we can hang with the likes of the Seahawks or other elite teams. Nowhere near that right now. Winning a bad division shouldn't be the goal.

That's what I LOVE about this staff. They have eliminated all of that talk, and kept it at the football level. That kind of plan has paid dividends, and will likely continue to.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Making the playoffs is nice and all, but even if the Jags did, it would likely be one and done. There are still too many areas that are weak. Both lines, QB, LB, TE, even possibly RB after this year. That's a lot of empty space.

Look, I'm not downing what the Jags are doing. I'm just staying realistic about what needs to happen before we can hang with the likes of the Seahawks or other elite teams. Nowhere near that right now. Winning a bad division shouldn't be the goal.

That's what I LOVE about this staff. They have eliminated all of that talk, and kept it at the football level. That kind of plan has paid dividends, and will likely continue to.

Agreed.  This rebuilding process was never about making the playoffs this year.  It has always been about building a long term, sustainable roster that is able to win consistently.  As the talent level improves, the talk about just making the playoffs will become passe, and we'll be talking about how deep a run the team will make from year to year. 

I like the deliberate process they're following in turning this thing around, and it's certainly nice to see the team starting to click, but I'm not naive enough to think we don't still have a lot of holes to fill at some pretty critical positions.  This team is a long way from being a legitimate playoff contender, but with the right moves, and getting the right guys at those critical positions, the rebuild can certainly put us back in the hunt for a playoff spot next year. 

It would be nice to be playing truly meaningful games after the bye week for a change.

I think the way they've approached rebuilding this roster, which has been repeatedly questioned by the usual suspects, is starting to prove itself to be the right approach.  If the next off season sees us make significant strides in improving the talent on this roster, the Jaguars won't be an afterthought in the league for much longer.  They'll be looked upon as an innovative organization with a young, dynamic front office and coaching staff, and a roster on the rise. 

The arrow is pointed up for this organization.  Hopefully they can sustain that and get back to where the team was in the mid-to-late 90's, and even improve upon those days with a trip beyond the AFC Championship game.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We are closer than you guys think. We have two solid tackles and can be a lot better in the trenches with just one interior lineman that can be had in the third or even fourth. Add a decent QB and then a backer and D end and we are there. You guys seem to forget that even though we tore the house down to the studs, we added some dry wall this April that is coming along quite nicely. Not saying we will compete for a Super Bowl next year, but I can see us with a legit shot at the playoffs next year if Caldwell has a good draft. Windows open and close pretty fast in the NFL these days and sometimes when it comes to your division, it's not how good you are, but how bad the competition is. 

"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Quote:We are closer than you guys think. We have two solid tackles and can be a lot better in the trenches with just one interior lineman that can be had in the third or even fourth. Add a decent QB and then a backer and D end and we are there. You guys seem to forget that even though we tore the house down to the studs, we added some dry wall this April that is coming along quite nicely. Not saying we will compete for a Super Bowl next year, but I can see us with a legit shot at the playoffs next year if Caldwell has a good draft. Windows open and close pretty fast in the NFL these days and sometimes when it comes to your division, it's not how good you are, but how bad the competition is. 
We really don't know that yet. The tackles haven't played against playoff caliber defenses together yet, just as an example. Yes, things are looking good now, but we need to see how Luke and Austin do on the line against upper level talent, and we simply haven't seen that yet. You may be right, but we simply don't know.

I'm one of the biggest homers on this board, and even I know to keep all of this in perspective. Yes, they can make a big jump next season, and I hope they do. It will take a lot of work and a little luck to do so though. I hope they do.

I know it's weird to think or say, but I think people may be getting a little too optimistic about next year.

A rookie QB is still a rookie, assuming we pick up one in the first one or two rounds of the draft.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Henne starting game 1 next September.

It's still a lot better to be overly optimistic than the alternative.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I know it's weird to think or say, but I think people may be getting a little too optimistic about next year.

A rookie QB is still a rookie, assuming we pick up one in the first one or two rounds of the draft.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Henne starting game 1 next September.

It's still a lot better to be overly optimistic than the alternative.

I really hope Henne is not starting next year.

wow quite a jump

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

It sounds about right to me. Jags are playing very good ball right now. No quit despite the rough start

I project we take a step back next year, due to injuries and veteran departures. 

Quote:I project we take a step back next year, due to injuries and veteran departures. 

Veteran departures like whom?

;

;