Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: If you had a vote what would it be?
Yes
No
Undecided
Corn
[Show Results]

American Football in the Olympics?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...cognition/

What say you?  This is a build to what I think will lead to us seeing American football in the Olympic games.  In reading the PFT article I hadn't realized 64 teams had American football organizations.  That's more than I had thought and that's a good sign.  

I'm fine with the idea and I think we will see it happen.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It would be boring watch.  The French would dominate. 

I say yes, but for the first several Olympics (at the very least), it would be a competition for silver more than anything else because we would absolutely dominate everyone.

I wouldn't want NFL players participating in Olympic football.   Injuries happen frequently in the game of football.  Imagine what would happen if a key player for an NFL team had his career derailed as a result of an injury in Olympic football !    Also,  the wear and tear of these extra games could prove costly for many NFL players and their teams.

A much better alternative would be to use players not on NFL rosters,  that could benefit from having the experience of playing in Olympic Football.  Much like some players benefited by playing in the NFL Developmental league that once existed.

As long as it doesn't cut into the woman's volleyball coverage.

Quote:As long as it doesn't cut into the woman's volleyball coverage.

Rightonrightonrighton! (high five)

Quote:I say yes, but for the first several Olympics (at the very least), it would be a competition for silver more than anything else because we would absolutely dominate everyone.
I could see some CFL players on the Canadian team giving us a run for our money. Yes I know, the CFL is "Second rate at best" when compared to the NFL, but I think that this is the same kind of attitude that was used against the AFL in the 50's and 60's. And look what happened in Super Bowl lll and IV.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 08:36 PM by HolsterHusto.)

It would definitely make the Winter Olympics fun to watch.

Quote:I could see some CFL players on the Canadian team giving us a run for our money. Yes I know, the CFL is "Second rate at best" when compared to the NFL, but I think that this is the same kind of attitude that was used against the AFL in the 50's and 60's. And look what happened in Super Bowl lll and IV.

I really don't see the CFL giving us a run for our money.

Quote:I could see some CFL players on the Canadian team giving us a run for our money. Yes I know, the CFL is "Second rate at best" when compared to the NFL, but I think that this is the same kind of attitude that was used against the AFL in the 50's and 60's. And look what happened in Super Bowl lll and IV.
If you took an All-pro team from any generation from the NFL and put them against the greatest CFL team of all time, I doubt it would even be a competitive game. The NFL is much more talented than the CFL.

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

As much as I love the olympics, I really have no interest in watching olympic football.  But on the other hand, maybe it would be cool to see other countries teams, and cool for those guys to have some kind of higher level competition and exposure.  I'd be more interested if it were Women's American football, but as far as watching our college players go against the Russians and such, I'm probably checking to see what other events are on tv. 

Joe Montana would come out of retirement to help form the Dream Team...20 years later we will win bronze behind New Zealand and Germany.

Quote:It would definitely make the Winter Olympics fun to watch.

Football as a sport is one of the few sports that would be fitting for both the Winter and Summer Olympics.

Quote:Football as a sport is one of the few sports that would be fitting for both the Winter and Summer Olympics.

I imagine it'd fall under the Summer Olympics. The main argument against having northern SB's is weather and it's even more applicable when you're talking about the Olympics. Then again, the stadium would probably be domed anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

Quote:I imagine it'd fall under the Summer Olympics. The main argument against having northern SB's is weather and it's even more applicable when you're talking about the Olympics. Then again, the stadium would probably be domed anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

Prior to reading <span>HolsterHusto's post,  the thought of football being in the Winter Olympics didn't occur to me.  Then I thought about the games in the snow that were played in Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh a few days ago. </span>

<span> While I still envision football being a Summer Olympic sport if it ever becomes an Olympic sport,  it's a sport that's versatile enough to be played in the vast majority of weather conditions.  </span>

Quote:Prior to reading <span>HolsterHusto's post,  the thought of football being in the Winter Olympics didn't occur to me.  Then I thought about the games in the snow that were played in Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh a few days ago. </span>

<span> While I still envision football being a Summer Olympic sport if it ever becomes an Olympic sport,  it's a sport that's versatile enough to be played in the vast majority of weather conditions.  </span>

Yeah, it's definitely capable of being played in both. I just think that it would probably be a summer sport if it does become an Olympic sport at all.